Vigelands sculpture park~~Oslo

Which ship and port date? :)

If you're docked at the main cruise pier next to Akershus Fortress, the easiest is to catch the Tram 12 from right in front of the city hall (about 5 minutes direct walk from the ship). Take it in the direction towards Majorstuen, and there is a Vigelandsparken stop right in front of the park's main gates.

If you're coming from another part of the city, the Bus 20 also stops there. And by subway, it's about ten minutes' walk southwest down the main street in front of the Majorstuen subway station.

The routes/stops are marked on the Oslo port guide map in my signature.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Meg

• 3 weeks later...

We are not planning on buying the Oslo card as our stay here is only brief. We want to take the tram to Vigeland Park. I was wondering how to purchase tickets for the tram. I read there was a 24 hour ticket but I wasn't sure where to purchase it and for how many zones it was needed to get to the park. Any suggestions?

Hi Kaisatsu,

Perhaps you could tell me if this is doable.

Akershus Fortress ship's dock....walk to City Hall....Tram 12 to Vigeland. Return trip on Tram 12 to City Hall. Pick up bus #30 (? from City Hall) to Folk museum on Bygdoy. Return via Ferry 91 from Dronningen(10 mins walk from museum) to Radhuskaia, nr. Askerhus fortress and the ship's dock.

Can we pick up bus#30 at City Hall if not where?

Where the ferry 91 drops us off(Radhuskaia), is it within walking distance of the ship's dock?

If we were to use the HoHo boat from City Hall to Bygdoy and back, what would be the time table and price? I know it takes roughly 1.5hrs, round trip but we'd like to take time out for the folk museum. What is the time of the last boat back from Bygdoy?

We are on the Emerald Princess....docking from 10a.m. to 7p.m.

Thanks, Sue.

Akershus Fortress ship's dock.... We are on the Emerald Princess....docking from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thanks, Sue.

It is great, Sue, that you are docked so super close to the center of the action. Below is what your docking location looks like and its closeness. PLUS, for those wondering whether the Vigeland Park is worth it, my strong answer is YES!! Below is some of my photo evidence or "proof"!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 72,977 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 65,509 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This picture shows the main, historic fortress next to where many cruise ships dock in Oslo. The fortress construction started around the late 1290’s. The very interesting Norwegian Resistance museum can be visited there. Norwegian Royalty have been buried in the Royal Mausoleum in the castle. A portion of this fortress was replicated at the Norway pavilion at Disney’s Epcot Center.:

1A-Oslo-Harbor-OldFortress.jpg

Vigeland Park has a wide variety of outdoor sculptures in a super, wonderful setting that is a highlight for Oslo. There is a wide variety of art, water features, spectacular settings, etc. Its admission is free and the views and art are "priceless". It is open 24/7 so hours are not an issue.:

1A-Oslo-VigelandPk.jpg

1A-Oslo-VigelandParkFount.jpg

OslVigPdKids.jpg

1A-Oslo-VigParkStat7.jpg

Sailing out from Oslo with the red brick City Hall in the background and the surrounding areas and “hills” showing around this so-called “fjord”.:

1A-Oslo-SailingOut.jpg

Hi Kaisatsu, Perhaps you could tell me if this is doable.

Akershus Fortress ship's dock....walk to City Hall....Tram 12 to Vigeland. Return trip on Tram 12 to City Hall. Pick up bus #30 (? from City Hall) to Folk museum on Bygdoy. Return via Ferry 91 from Dronningen(10 mins walk from museum) to Radhuskaia, nr. Askerhus fortress and the ship's dock.

Can we pick up bus#30 at City Hall if not where?

The closest stop for the bus 30 is probably Nationaltheatret. If you walk past the city hall on the left, you'll come to Olav V's gate. It's a straight shot two blocks down that street to the Nationaltheatret bus stop where you can catch the 30 (to head towards Bygdøy, you'll want the stop on the other side of the main cross street).

Where the ferry 91 drops us off(Radhuskaia), is it within walking distance of the ship's dock?

Absolutely. It's right in front of the City Hall (Rådhus) and is about 5 minutes' walk from the cruise pier.

If we were to use the HoHo boat from City Hall to Bygdoy and back, what would be the time table and price? I know it takes roughly 1.5hrs, round trip but we'd like to take time out for the folk museum.

No idea. I'm not a fan of the HOHO, since public transit runs so much more often and is quite simple to navigate. So I always send my visitors that route.

What is the time of the last boat back from Bygdoy?

From 18 May to 2 September, the last ferry leaves Droningen at 20:55 and Bygdøynes at 21:00. (In early spring and late fall, it only runs until 18:30.) you can find the full schedule here:

http://ruter.no/Gallery/1-GalleryRot/24-Rutetabeller/25-2010/26-Oslo/B%C3%A5thefte_Oslo_2012.pdf

If you want to head to the Folk Museum from Vigelands without going back to the city hall, you can catch the Bus 20 towards Skøyen right next to the tram stop. Get down a few stops later at Olav Kyrres plass and you can catch the 30 from there. It's only 3 minutes to Olav Kyrres plass on the bus, compared to 10+ minutes back downtown on the tram (not to mention the shorter ride on the 30 and not having to walk up to catch it at Nationaltheatret). Of course if your plan was to head back for lunch on the ship, that 's a different story. ;)

Cheers,

-Meg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Kaisatsu,

We are going to be in Oslo June 13 on the Eurodam with only a few hours in port(7-2) . I am not sure where we shall be docking but would like to see some of the city's highlights in this brief window. Would you be so kind as to suggest some doable sights using the public transit to get around. Thanks in advance

Claudette

Hello Kaisatsu,

We are going to be in Oslo June 13 on the Eurodam with only a few hours in port(7-2) . I am not sure where we shall be docking but would like to see some of the city's highlights in this brief window. Would you be so kind as to suggest some doable sights using the public transit to get around. Thanks in advance

Claudette

It looks like you'll be docking at Akershuskaia, next to Akershus Fortress in front of the city hall.

Since you arrive so early, a lot of the museums won't be open yet, and the tourist information won't open for a while to buy the Oslo Pass. However, you could buy a transit pass and head up to Vigelands Park, since it's always open. To get there, you can either take the Tram 12 from in front of the city hall (towards Majorstuen, getting down at Vigelandsparken). You can get prepaid tickets from the ticket machines or a transit pass or prepaid tickets from convenience stores.

After that, it really depends on what you're interested in. History? Art? Scenic walks?

Dear Kaisatsu,

We are also on the Eurodam arriving on June 13. My plan was to catch the tram to the Sculpture park and then back to the city centre to look around.

Do the ticket machines you mention take credit card or just cash? Not sure how we know which ticket to buy either. Is it easy enough to do?

I would appreciate your expert advice.

Pam

Dear Kaisatsu,

We are also on the Eurodam arriving on June 13. My plan was to catch the tram to the Sculpture park and then back to the city centre to look around.

Do the ticket machines you mention take credit card or just cash? Not sure how we know which ticket to buy either. Is it easy enough to do?

I would appreciate your expert advice.

Pam

The new ticket machines do take credit cards, but I don't know if they work with regular cards or only chip & pin style cards. The machines have really only been working for about a year (with more than a few hiccups), and we're all still trying to figure them out.

You can also buy tickets from convenience stores like Narvesen, 7-11, Deli de Luca, etc. If you do have problems with the ticket machine, there is a 7-11 behind the city hall.

I'm having some visitors in the next few weeks, so if I find out more, I will let you know.

-Meg

Archived