What to do in Brest and Quimper on a Sunday

carriechelle

Our TA cruise stops in Brest on Sunday, May 13th. From what I'm reading, it looks like the whole area (including rental cars) is shut down on Sundays.

Many of us on our roll call forum were interested in spending time in Quimper that day .... but we're having trouble finding a reasonably priced transportation option outside of the tour offered through the cruise line (which is more tour than the quick transportation we were looking for).

The more I look at things, it appears as though Quimper may also be shut down on Sunday, so I'm wondering if it's worth the $80+ and 3 hours round-trip to ride there from Brest.

Anyone know how these areas will be on a Sunday? Any other suggestions?

Worst case maybe DH and I will just do some geocaching in Brest.

Thanks in advance!

Our TA cruise stops in Brest on Sunday, May 13th. From what I'm reading, it looks like the whole area (including rental cars) is shut down on Sundays.

Many of us on our roll call forum were interested in spending time in Quimper that day .... but we're having trouble finding a reasonably priced transportation option outside of the tour offered through the cruise line (which is more tour than the quick transportation we were looking for).

The more I look at things, it appears as though Quimper may also be shut down on Sunday, so I'm wondering if it's worth the $80+ and 3 hours round-trip to ride there from Brest.

Anyone know how these areas will be on a Sunday? Any other suggestions?

Worst case maybe DH and I will just do some geocaching in Brest.

Thanks in advance!

QUIMPER is lovely if you can get there by a rental car... or catching the early morning train (later trains won't allow enough time to get there, visit and return in time to catch your ship).

Note that typically the cruise line provides shuttle buses to Downtown Brest (around $15.00 USD roundtrip, as I recall last year's prices), so if you're choosing this option, take into consideration the commute time too...

Some ideas from our experience last year (long lines for the shuttles, so we did not get to Downtown Brest area in time to catch the early train ride to Quimper... so had to stay in Brest):

47a1d634b3127cce985582e179f600000068100Abs2rls5csmfA PHOTOS: Visiting the city of BREST, France (Tuesday 04.26.2011)

Getting to Downtown Brest, France from the Port area using the RCI shuttle bus ($15.00 USD round-trip) before the Sail-away aboard the RCI cruise ship "Vision of the Seas."

- Visited the Conservatoire Botanique National de Brest

- Strolling down the RUE DE SIAM

- Crossed the Recouvrance Bridge to see the Tanguy Tower and the Castle

- Stopped for dessert and coffee at "Au Bureau" Pub before heading back up to Mathon Square and Place de la Liberté

View photo album (400)

47a1d633b3127cce98558fe3726600000058100Abs2rls5csmfA PHOTOS: Visiting the Conservatoire Botanique National de Brest (Tuesday 04.26.2011)

The Conservatoire Botanique National de Brest (took local bus # 27 to get there and then back to Downtown - Place de la Liberte)

View photo album (300)

47a1d634b3127cce98558dee396600000048100Abs2rls5csmfA PHOTOS: Brest, France - arrival in Port; RCI shuttle bus ride & Sail-away (04.26.2011)

- RCI cruise ship "Vision of the Seas" arrival in Brest, France on Tuesday morning

- Getting to the heart of the city of Brest, France from the docking area using the RCI shuttle bus ($15.00 USD round-trip) before the Sail-away aboard the RCI cruise ship "Vision of the Seas."

The city of Brest, set in a natural harbour in the region of Brittany, is home to the French national fleet. There are only a few historical sights to be seen (the town was rebuilt in the 50s after being bombed) and plenty of opportunities to enjoy the famed Breton hospitality, beer and food.

View photo album (315)

Getting to Downtown Brest, France from the Port area using the RCI shuttle bus ($15.00 USD round-trip) before the Sail-away aboard the RCI cruise ship "Vision of the Seas."

- Visited the Conservatoire Botanique National de Brest

- Strolling down the RUE DE SIAM

- Crossed the Recouvrance Bridge to see the Tanguy Tower and the Castle

- Stopped for dessert and coffee at "Au Bureau" Pub before heading back up to Mathon Square and Place de la Liberté

View photo album (400)

Thanks, daliflor, for sharing your album. It seems Brest is larger than I was imagining and there should be plenty to keep us busy for the day at port. I especially want to see the Tanguy Tower and the botanical garden!

Did you take any other transportation besides the $15 RCI bus from port to city center (and back)? Was everything else within walking distance of each other? If not, did you take public bus?

Thanks again!

If you are interested in aquatic wildlife you can also visit Oceanopolis:

http://www.oceanopolis.co.uk/

It's open on Sunday.

And surely you will want to have a "crèpe" for lunch, for instance this creperie is good : http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187095-d1870165-Reviews-Creperie_La_Chaumine-Brest_Finistere_Brittany.html but there are plenty of others in town and they will usually be good.

Thanks, daliflor, for sharing your album. It seems Brest is larger than I was imagining and there should be plenty to keep us busy for the day at port. I especially want to see the Tanguy Tower and the botanical garden!

Did you take any other transportation besides the $15 RCI bus from port to city center (and back)? Was everything else within walking distance of each other? If not, did you take public bus?

Thanks again!

You're very welcome.

Yes, we did take the local bus to the Botanical Garden (and back to Downtown) - cheap, convenient and the schedule is posted inside the shelter/ bus stop.

There are also local buses crossing the bridge (seen them but didn't use any this time around) but we decided to walk over as we had plenty of time to spare (and then catch the return RCI shuttle into the Port area).

Have fun! France in general and Bretagne in particular = beautiful!

And of course while in Bretagne, as already suggested, one must try the famous "crèpe" - in town or as seen here right next to the cruise ship:

http://lisbontoengland2011april.shutterfly.com/pictures/10823

Bon Appétit !!!

Archived