Why is Carnival leaving Baltimore?

rle1982

We live in the Baltimore area and are sailing from here in December, but I've already been looking at a follow up cruise, and it seems after like spring 2013 there is no carnival ship scheduled to be here....that sucks....any ideas why?

We live in the Baltimore area and are sailing from here in December, but I've already been looking at a follow up cruise, and it seems after like spring 2013 there is no carnival ship scheduled to be here....that sucks....any ideas why?

they are just rotating the pride out of the area.it sounds unreal but they often do this because of the shows. it costs millons to rig and set up lighting and sets for such a small sound set. also you will get a new ship so that is great for baltimore.only problem is that the spirit class are fast and nimble and are highly popular for long voyages (legend out tampa to belize cozumel honduras via the caymans)that is a long cruise to fit 7 days. baltimore and ny cruises must boot it to get anywhere of interest.hope carnival would keep all spirit class ships in n. america and not send them to australia and europe(PLANNED)

they are just rotating the pride out of the area.it sounds unreal but they often do this because of the shows. it costs millons to rig and set up lighting and sets for such a small sound set. also you will get a new ship so that is great for baltimore.only problem is that the spirit class are fast and nimble and are highly popular for long voyages (legend out tampa to belize cozumel honduras via the caymans)that is a long cruise to fit 7 days. baltimore and ny cruises must boot it to get anywhere of interest.hope carnival would keep all spirit class ships in n. america and not send them to australia and europe(PLANNED)

Where did you hear this? I know they are moving around quite a few ships but I do not recall any mention of Pride being moved.

If Carnival is still sailing out of Baltimore (and I think they will) it will be on the Pride. There are 4 Spirit class ships. The Spirit will be in Australia, Legend in Europe/Tampa, and the Miracle in Alaska/Los Angeles. So the only Spirit class ship that doesn't have their schedules released until April 2014 is the Pride. So the Pride is the only ship that will be sailing out of Baltimore. It doesn't look like they will be switching her out for another ship.

Prices for the Pride have always seemed high compared to sailing out of Florida so thinking it makes a nice profit for Carnival.

Odd you say the prices seem higher. We paid $479 plus gov taxes for a balcony. Plus the taxes were $20 less then sailing out of Florida. We chose this ship and port for the lower costs.

Odd you say the prices seem higher. We paid $479 plus gov taxes for a balcony. Plus the taxes were $20 less then sailing out of Florida. We chose this ship and port for the lower costs.

When we have checked typical prices for inside were over 700.

Baltimore is closest port for us and would like to do it but between prices and lame itineraries we go to Florida.

Wish they would do longer itineraries so they could avoid pt canaveral and freeport as ports.

Legend is off the Europe for the summer months and will return for the Caribbean in the winter. Spirit is off to Austrailia, Fascination seems to be missing for the Bahahmian cruises in the summer too. Have no idea where she is going.

Baltimore is closest port for us and would like to do it but between prices and lame itineraries we go to Florida.

Wish they would do longer itineraries so they could avoid pt canaveral and freeport as ports.

Us as well. Baltimore would be very convenient but it never works out, even with airfare.

If they are, I hope Charleston SC get another ship besides the Fantasy. Im sure its a great ship but a bigger Conquest size ship would be great!

Probably won't happen. There has been some controversy about cruise ships in Charleston lately...

Just off the Pride today! While at the ship Q&A, Brent the cruise director was asked about the schedule and ship ports of call. He said the Pride will be in Baltimore at least thru 2014, and will be in drydock for the 2.0 upgrades in Nov 2013. Brent also explained that due to unpredictable weather along the Atlantic coast, both summer and winter, Carnival does not feel they can add any other/alternative ports and still reliably maintain the 7 day cruise schedule out of Baltimore, without delays or missing ports to make sure the ship returns on time for debarkation/turnaround for the next cruise. At least, that was the answer he gave when the question was asked.:)

Legend is off the Europe for the summer months and will return for the Caribbean in the winter. Spirit is off to Austrailia, Fascination seems to be missing for the Bahahmian cruises in the summer too. Have no idea where she is going.

Where did you see this? We are probably going to book a five day cruise on the Fascination for sometime in May. We live in Jax..have never cruised on the Fascination.

The Carnival Web Site has June covered. That on line TA that we cannot mention..has a scheule.

I hope I have not missed out on getting to sail on her.......

We want to do the Key West..Nassau one..

there was something else about this here the other day and I dont think the Pride is leaving. schedule is just not out yet

Here is the thread that you are thinking about. The Pride will be in Baltimore at least until 2014. The contract also has three one year extensions possible.

whether it is the pride or another ship i am looking forward to someday cruise out of baltimore . it along with nyc are the only two ports we can drive to from montreal. i just wish carnival could change cape canaveral for another more interesting stop. savannah,georgia?????or even do all three bahamas(freeport,nassau,half moon)

• 1 month later...
hmm....that is interesting info about rotating ships due to the shows..

maybe they would swap the Legend and the Pride or ??

thanks

we found out this info from sure sources .we also have a stage background and know the price of purchase of a new show(carnival buys these shows as a whole) is very costly. the rigging ,lights ,and effects are also costly and hard to achieve in such a small area.i do agree that the legend for the pride would be great. lets hope carnival finally order another spirit class since they are the best they run.(even with costa)

Shows are the same fleet wide, and the voyage you mention is much shorter than MIA to St. Thomas and St. Martin.

Baltimore is one of the more expensive ports. I asked Carnival why the rates were higher than FL and and was told because of the market. They sell out in February here. You'd think not many people would want to go in Feb out of Baltimore because of the weather, but they do. Many drive from the neighboring states.

You can get a nice 7 day cruise out of FL for less money on a newer ship but people here like the convenience.

Shows are the same fleet wide, and the voyage you mention is much shorter than MIA to St. Thomas and St. Martin.

shows are copyrighted and you pay for number of seats,shows,and months(years for carnival).you cannot just transfer a show to another ship,so sometimes the show gets moved (no matter how cheezy and bad it is )to another base port.

Archived