Funny Story

blyle

Our first day at lunch we had to listen to someone complain about " not getting the cabin they booked". A family, grandparents, son in law , daughter and grandchild were on together. According to grandma they had been complaining about their cabins since embarkation. She was very upset that they were not side by side on the same deck they had booked. I asked if they picked a cabin or had a guarantee. She said they were supposed tobe on the Verandah in an inside cabin and now they were far below with a window. I tried to explain that they indeed were upgraded but she was not buying it. It's something like this that makes a guest complain on here about their accomodations when actually they were upgraded. So if someone complains I make sure to get all the details! SOme people just don't understand the implications of a guarantee. Everyone at our table said they would surely give up and inside Verandah for an oceanview below.

I just hate it when you get on a cruise and are in a good mood and someone starts to put things down. Another man told everyone at the table how small the cabins were on the elation and how large they were on all the other ships. I asked if he had a suite on another ship and he said no I was on Riviera deck . I then proceeded to tell him that the config. is a little different but the actual sq. footage is the same. I feel sorry for first timers listening to stuff like that. I have been on many classes and the rooms are very similar. Some have couches some have chairs. and some bathrooms are a bit different but nothing ss that tremendously different.

Some people are just determined to complain no matter what... I figure, if you didn't get the cabin you wanted, get over it (especially if you were upgraded - duh!!!). You're only there to sleep anyway. Get out and enjoy the ship! If you have a bad attitude, you won't have fun. If you make the best of it, you'll have a good time and maybe have a funny story to tell later.

She was very upset that they were not side by side on the same deck they had booked. I asked if they picked a cabin or had a guarantee. She said they were supposed tobe on the Verandah in an inside cabin and now they were far below with a window. .

Am I missing something here??

She was upset because she did not get what she paid for? What is wrong with that?

Mayby Grandparents were to be baby sitters in an ajoining room? Were they asked to have their rooms changed?It may have been more important to be together than have a window.

2 weeks ago I rented a Dodge Intrepid,when got to the place they gave me a Dodge Dakota instead. I complained! I did not want a gas guzzling 5 passenger SUV even if it was considered a premium just for myself. I did end up with a new 300M and that was fine.

Steve:D

It's been rare that I've heard any complaining while on a cruise. The only time I can remember that happening, I just politely got up from the lounge chair, said "Hope things improve and you enjoy your cruise" and went to another part of the deck. Not gonna let some crab mess up my vacation...no way.:)

Gee, I thought the logical thing to do if you want cabins together is to book the actual cabin and not do a guarantee, so if they really wanted to be near each other they should have reserved the cabins they wanted. If you've done any research at all you know a guarantee can get you an upgrade. I'm not sure why she's whining either except that they obviously didn't bother to find out ahead of time what they were really getting with a guarantee. I'm going on my first cruise in Nov and am aware of how it works.

They shouldnt have booked guarantee if they required to be next door.. they should have spent the little bit extra and booked actual cabins so they knew where they would be... but maybe their TA or PVP didnt explain that properly to them and they misunderstood... but still, you cant let it ruin your whole cruise

Yes there is. You can book a gty in any category if it is available. It usually happens when you book at the last minute. Check Expedia and see. You can get a 4E gty and in fact the best way to get an upgrade to outside is to book the highest cat inside. as a gty.

It sounds like their cabins were switched in a way that didn't suit them. Stuff happens, and it can be disappointing. The point is, you can stay bummed out and complain to anyone who will listen your whole cruise and ruin the trip for yourself (and probably others around you). Or you can make an effort to get the situation rectified, and if that doesn't work, let it go and enjoy yourself. I'd do the latter, then write a (pointed, but polite) letter of complaint after the cruise to see if I could get some consideration for the negative impact on my cruise. If I was entirely dissatisfied, I could choose not to cruise that line again, though personally, this situation wouldn't up set me as much as it did the OP.

When life send you lemons, you have a choice: suck lemons or make lemonade.:D

No such thing.

Inside GTY

Outside GTY

Balcony GTY

Those are the choices.

Steve

Nope, you have plenty of other choices for a guarantee.. you can book a guarantee for a category on any deck... for example, on the Miracle I booked an 8C guarantee, I could have gone up, but not down... you can choose the minimum deck and category you want for a guarantee...

Sounds like the person knew what they booked. Maybe they booked that category and thought that was what they were getting. If the TA or PVP did their job correctly the booking numbers should have been linked and noted on the reservation that the clients wanted the rooms together. I doubt that we know the full story here so it's hard to say if this person had a right to complain.

This is why I don't book guarantees. While an upgrade would be more likely that way, I prefer to book a specific cabin that will satisfy both of us. Too bad it didn't work as well for those folks. Maybe next time they'll do some research or get someone better to work with when booking.

Some people are unhappy and just love to whine. That's the only thing they have to talk about. Maybe they will get a freebee. You know about the squeaky wheel thing. It's the pits having to listen to people like that. I agree with Cotton Move away so they don't spoil your trip.

Yes there is. You can book a gty in any category if it is available. It usually happens when you book at the last minute. Check Expedia and see. You can get a 4E gty and in fact the best way to get an upgrade to outside is to book the highest cat inside. as a gty.

I agree, you can pick a GTY in any category... just depends on how much you wanna spend...

Personally, I like my lemons with salt! MMMMMM! (Meyer lemons even better!)

I think the bottom line is to book a specific cabin, in this case, Inside/Verandah, with a specific "NO UPGRADES".

Has anyone ever been moved or upgraded who has done this?

Just checked online, and depending on the ship and sailing (I checked Elation) the price was the same for Verandah inside or OV Guarantee, so monetarily, it may not have been an upgrade really, especially if they wanted that deck. That said, if you book guarentee, YGWYG.

We have booked GTY on all of our cruises... RCI & Carnival. When we booked inside... we got inside... I would love to book an inside and get an outside FOR FREE! Think about it... Outside GTY is more expensive than Inside GTY in ANY category... One can dream that they would be upgraded from inside to outside...

As far as the complainer goes... Buyer beware! If not sure... do your research! Of course, I realize that I am preaching to the choir here on Cruise Critic! :)

• 1 year later...

Recently booked last minute on Victory (Jan 2006) - and found the price of an 8A guarantee less than a 'regular' balcony guarantee (which made no sense to me by the way).

Anyhow we ended up in an 8C balcony which was fine with me - the only difference of course being a few decks up! Location was a bit more 'forward' than I liked - but in the end it made absolutely no difference and we got a great cruise for a great price!

My upcoming cruise I made sure to get a specific 8C cabin - I could have reserved an 8B guarantee (no more cabins left in that category) but research showed that many 8Cs were available - most of which were under the pool area (and I assumed we may have been bumped up to the 8C from the 8B gty). So I opted to pay the $30 extra bucks and pick an 8C not under the pool.

I am now counting the days til sailaway......:cool:

Froufie;)

Archived