Must buy things while in Western Caribbean?

pbarefoot

If you like hot sauce, you MUST get some Marie Sharp's in Belize. I own a little hot sauce shop near Houston and Ive tried tons. This is the best out there in my opinion.

Cool! Always looking for new stuff.

I "discovered" Susie's in Antigua a number of years back. One of my favorites.

If you want a knock off purse, wallet, etc cheap, like Coach, Louis Vitton, etc., I found that Belize had a good selection and wished I would have gotten one there. Ended up getting a small purse in Cozumel and didn't ck it close enough and the strap was messed up (only I would notice it though). In a hurry so I didn't notice it until later. Ithink I'll get a large one when I go back in April. This time I'll ck them out closer and shop around until I find one I want for the best price, and buy before going back to the ship so I don't have to carry my purchases around while shopping. I wonder if I can take the other one back and exchange it while in Cozumel?? LOL... I doubt that! But hey, you never know. Might be worth a try. :)

And we got Kahlua in Cozumel real cheap!

I missed the opportunity to buy a Chess set while in Mexico.....which we really wanted....had some issues on the way back to the ship and could not stop....

Anyone want to pick me up one while there, would greatly appreciate it !!!

Me and my wife have ports in Belize, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Mahogany Bay. What are some of the things to buy at those locations. Example: Things that are abnormally cheap or something cool only found there or in the Caribbean.

IMHO, Nothing!!

I don't need, or want, trinkets, and if I'm in the market for an expensive item, I can and do, most times find it much cheaper at home or online.

Just my $0.02 worth...

We like to buy sterling silver jewelry in Mexico. Sterling bracelets, earrings, necklaces and charms are very inexpensive in Mexico. Our last cruise was in October and I knocked out most of my Christmas list with pretty (and very inexpensive) sterling jewelry from Cozumel and Progesso.. Just be sure to make sure it is imprinted with .925 and that it feels like sterling to you. One vendor tried to sell us a piece that felt like plastic. Glad we skipped that one! You can get a nicely weighted bracelet for less than $20. Would cost over $100 here.

I agree that Belize has some beautiful hand carved wood. You can get walking sticks hand carved for like 20.00. All kinds of wood craft, love Belize for wood crafts. Alcohol is also cheap there.

Roatan: This is absolutely not cheap (very expensive) but beautiful and you can watch them work. The Cameo factory!! They make amazing things out of shells and Dremel drills. Beautiful works!!

Cozumel: there are tons of shops, Tequila is a good buy there!!

Grand Cayman, we don't really shop, we just snorkle and play in the amazing water there!!!

Have an awesome time!!!

Carole

PS: I would rather make my own rum cake, you can google Bacardi cake recipe and get an easy and delicious recipe, making it for a fraction of the cost!! It's a favorite for everybody at my holiday parties!!!

You can substitute the Bacardi for a rum you've bought in the Carib, I love the Pyrat Rum!!!

We like to buy sterling silver jewelry in Mexico. Sterling bracelets, earrings, necklaces and charms are very inexpensive in Mexico. Our last cruise was in October and I knocked out most of my Christmas list with pretty (and very inexpensive) sterling jewelry from Cozumel and Progesso.. Just be sure to make sure it is imprinted with .925 and that it feels like sterling to you. One vendor tried to sell us a piece that felt like plastic. Glad we skipped that one! You can get a nicely weighted bracelet for less than $20. Would cost over $100 here.

Agree with this 100%. I buy a sterling silver piece or two every time I am in Cozumel. I am now working on completing a Mexican Fire Opal set. All I need now is a bracelet. In Progreso, we bought some sterling bracelets from a beach vendor that were made in Taxco. I paid $20.00 for each. The guy was middle aged and looked kind of rough ... only wanted some money to buy himself some food. I gave the waiter "the Look" while I was bartering with the guy and he nodded that yes, this was a good guy. I had had quite a few of Buddy's 2 for $5 margaritas at the time, so I was feeling quite generous. I honestly thought they were probably fake, but I took them to our jeweler when we got home and he said they are indeed sterling silver and they would cost close to $150.00 each here. :D

Retin A.

If it's the real deal, which is hard to discern from the packaging, you get a real bargain, but I have bought Retina A as well as other items only availabe by prescription in the US, and sometimes the potency is not what it claims to be. It's not only disappointing when the purchase is for personal use, but it's embarassing when you have bought for a friend or relative who has paid you to pick something up for them.

Grand daughter recently started playing chess; do you know if they sell similar chess sets on Eastern Caribbean route?

Sorry, for the late response, have been off CC for a few days. I dont recall seeing any of these at any eastern Caribbean ports, but I have only been on the eastern route a couple of times. I would say that if anywhere, you might find it in St Thomas, but just guessing. Have a great cruise!:)

Sorry, for the late response, have been off CC for a few days. I dont recall seeing any of these at any eastern Caribbean ports, but I have only been on the eastern route a couple of times. I would say that if anywhere, you might find it in St Thomas, but just guessing. Have a great cruise!:)

Thanks for your reply!!

It (black coral jewelry) is illegal.

Many years ago it was okay, but now it is a protected species...

It is illegal to HARVEST now! You can sell what has already been harvested prior to being illegal. There is a merchant right at the port that explained this very well and only makes from what he currently owns.

Carved magohany items (from tiny boxes up to entire doors) in Roatan also whole bean coffee(this is Honduras after all !). In Belize try Marie Sharps hot sauce if you know anyone who is a heat seeker. I got some beautiful hand-woven place mats at a shop just down the street from The Wet Lizard bar.I think the shop was called The Loom. In Cozumel I bought some lovely big conch shells from a road-side vendor. I don't buy from the t-shirt shops or touristy shops that are there right when you get off the ship. . I thought that the rum cakes were dry and not "rummy" enough so did not buy any. Did not find much in GC worth buying except a t-shirt from Hell the said " I'd rather be in Hell than go to work" and a postcard which I sent home to my kids telling them that Mom and Dad were in Hell and loving it!!:D

as stated by others - definitely the vanilla. I don't sail until 30 Sept but my friends who bake have already placed their orders for vanilla!

Kahlua! Years ago I bought a really neat bottle of kahula. I've never seen the bottle here in the states. the bottle was shaped like an aztec warrior or deity. If I see any of those, I plan on adding that to my goodies. Luckily we are driving to the port so won't have an issue of luggage & flying - just managing to drag it all off the ship!

I love trying new off the beaten path hot sauces.

I found the Mega Mart just off the pier in downtown Cozumel had a ton of varieties and very cheap. Better prices and variety than the tourist shops.

Just follow the crew to find the place.

Lots are no more than a couple of bucks a bottle.

Some I like better than others and look forward to stocking up on my faves next visit.

Theye were confused when I was asking for hot sauce. Finally figured out what I call hot sauce they call salsa.

Thanks for the tip, headed there in May and DH & son luv hot sauces, DH is from TX they used to grow peppers that put blisters on your lips!:eek: We always buy different kinds everywhere we visit, I even sent some to him in Iraq cause it makes military food tastes better:p, but this is our first time to Coz and I was wandering where was a good place, as for me, tequila purchases will ensue....:D

Happy Sailing,

when in Roatan make sure to check out hand carved jewelery boxes and chests .You can get them from maybe 6 inches to 6 feet long and they are beautiful.If you take an independant tour they will take you shopping and likely to the place we were

Those hand carved boxes are beautiful, I agree. I talked to a woman whose father carves them. I bought a lovely table runner from her that her mother had had woven. A good place for this is a short walk from the pier, across the street from a place you can see from the ship called Fonsie's Bar (free wi-fi). You can also see the building from the ship, a L-shaped building next to a cemetery. I don't think there is a name on the building.

I know you can usally get them on the ship, but they have the actual stores on those islands. I highly recomend getting the Tortuga Rum Cakes. MMMMM so good.

Those rum cakes are definitely a little bit of heaven, almost pure sugar. But, lemme tell ya, check the prices. I got them cheaper at amazon.com with free shipping, and even less at a store in New Hampshire.

Definitely the sauces in Belize...in particular Lissette's Secret Sauce (sweet and spicy) and Marie Sharp's Sweet Habanero pepper sauce (not too hot!). I buy about 12 bottles, plus other ones to try, but these two are my favorites!

Definitely the sauces in Belize...in particular Lissette's Secret Sauce (sweet and spicy) and Marie Sharp's Sweet Habanero pepper sauce (not too hot!). I buy about 12 bottles, plus other ones to try, but these two are my favorites!

Last year in Costa Maya we found a wonderful gentlemen who had a silver store selling his handmade jewelry. It is beautiful! I bought my daughter a matching necklace and earrings for Christmas. Can't remember the name, but I think it was the only real "jewelry" store and it was in the little town (can't spell the name....Majual??).

Me and my wife have ports in Belize, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Mahogany Bay. What are some of the things to buy at those locations. Example: Things that are abnormally cheap or something cool only found there or in the Caribbean.

If you are a coffee drinker, then while in Mahogany Bay go to one of the local grocery stores and purchase Cafe Oro. It is the coffee the locals drink and it is WONDERFUL! It will cost you about $3.00 a pound. Far cheaper than coffee in the US. We even had some sent to us after we got home so we could still enjoy the wonderful flavor. It is a definate must buy for us. :D:D

It is illegal to HARVEST now! You can sell what has already been harvested prior to being illegal. There is a merchant right at the port that explained this very well and only makes from what he currently owns.

Good to know, though I'd be leery about buying it...

Our favorite place on Roatan was the viewpoint for Mahogany bowls. Also a trip to the local grocery store ( name escapes me now but it was nice) for local candy and Honduran coffee - very cheap prices. We had already bought vanilla in Coz ( incase we didnt make Roatan) so I forgot to check prices there for vanilla. My kids enjoyed name bracelets made for them in Coz.

Archived