Which Miami Hotel?

girlscruise2011

Thank god for these boards. I need help now for my Thanksgiving precruise hotel. Being a government employee, I get good rates of some hotels and here are my choices for 1 night precruise, 2 rooms for 4 adults and 4 teens.

Courtyard Coconut Grove, $105 per room. Friend told me Coconut Grove is a nice area, lots of stores, restaurants and bars.

Hyatt Regency, Downtown, $125 per room. Downtown location. Nice looking hotel but not sure if its too "highclass" for me ;)

Wyndham Miami South Beach, $170 per room. South Beach location so lots to do. 2 of the adults are single guys who I'm sure would love the South Beach location. Me, family of 6, been to SB already with May being my 3rd time so I can do without it but do love the people watching.

Im staying at the Albion in South Beach in May but right now their website says no availability for that night so i'm hoping when I get there if I like it, it could become another possibility.

If you had stayed at either of these hotels, please let me know what you thought. If you had to pick one, which one would you choose and why?

Being the week before Thanksgiving, I just want to book and have it off my list of things to do.

Thank you all for your help with all my questions...:D

What are you all looking to do and experience? You have an array of ages to try to keep happy. ;)

Coconut Grove is NOT Miami Beach/S. Beach. Very nice area, but not what I'd call "hip". We enjoyed it for a day. Not sure teens and 20- somethings would find it too exciting.

Hyatt R. in downtown Miami is NOT too high class. It is downtown Miami. Pretty much like any large city. You would have to walk or cab to maybe Bayside Mall..which is a touristy outdoor mall with some shops and restaurants ( mostly chain type). Okay for a couple hours of time. Not much more. Howeever you could pick up a water tour there if you are in town early enough.

You know that S Beach is the area most people imagine when they think of Miami. It has the atmosphere of S Florida that visitors love to experience at least once.

You have a lot ot ponder. And these are only my opinions. If there for only one day, you won't really go too wrong any way.

What are you all looking to do and experience? You have an array of ages to try to keep happy. ;)

Coconut Grove is NOT Miami Beach/S. Beach. Very nice area, but not what I'd call "hip". We enjoyed it for a day. Not sure teens and 20- somethings would find it too exciting.

Hyatt R. in downtown Miami is NOT too high class. It is downtown Miami. Pretty much like any large city. You would have to walk or cab to maybe Bayside Mall..which is a touristy outdoor mall with some shops and restaurants ( mostly chain type). Okay for a couple hours of time. Not much more. Howeever you could pick up a water tour there if you are in town early enough.

You know that S Beach is the area most people imagine when they think of Miami. It has the atmosphere of S Florida that visitors love to experience at least once.

You have a lot ot ponder. And these are only my opinions. If there for only one day, you won't really go too wrong any way.

range is 4 18 yr olds (DS,DS,DD,friend), 1 30 yr old (nephew), 1 41 yr old (Friend), 1 47 yr old (DH) and one 51 yr old (me).

I've been to SB 3x by this trip, DH 2x, DS,DS,DD 1x. The others haven't been. This would be for 1 night precruise. We get into FLL for 1pm so will get to the hotel about 3pm so just looking for a place to hang, have dinner, walk around a little. Thats about it. Also, trying to keep costs down since we have 8 people, transport is getting costly since we'll need 2 cabs everywhere we go.

In order:

South Beach

Downtown

Coconut Grove.

Once you get to South Beach, you won't need a cab, you can walk to just about anything or take the local bus for $0.25 per person

If you choose downtown you might need a cab. You can get everywhere in downtown on the free Metromover. Public Transport is easy to Miami Beach but can take about 30 minutes.

Coconut Grove is a bit removed from everything, but its a nice area, you can transport easily out of the grove by train to downtown. South Beach from the Grove is also easily done but will take over 40 minutes. And will involve several transfers.

Yogi

In order:

South Beach

Downtown

Coconut Grove.

Once you get to South Beach, you won't need a cab, you can walk to just about anything or take the local bus for $0.25 per person

If you choose downtown you might need a cab. You can get everywhere in downtown on the free Metromover. Public Transport is easy to Miami Beach but can take about 30 minutes.

Coconut Grove is a bit removed from everything, but its a nice area, you can transport easily out of the grove by train to downtown. South Beach from the Grove is also easily done but will take over 40 minutes. And will involve several transfers.

Yogi

MiamiYogi. Thank you for the input. I'm leaning towards the SB. Do you have any input about the Wyndham Miami South Beach? It looks like a nice hotel online but they all did. Reviews on the other sites are mixed so its hard to tell.

Also, I'm at the Albion in May and still hoping to get some input on that hotel.

girlscruise2011- I am staying at the Wyndham in three weeks actually there are 13 of us are staying at this hotel-precruise and then again postcruise (1 night each). My fellow travelers (4 of the 13) have stayed here prior to the renovations and loved the location. When we get back I will be sure to post a review.

Happy Sailing!!

girlscruise2011- I am staying at the Wyndham in three weeks actually there are 13 of us are staying at this hotel-precruise and then again postcruise (1 night each). My fellow travelers (4 of the 13) have stayed here prior to the renovations and loved the location. When we get back I will be sure to post a review.

Happy Sailing!!

Buffalofirsttimer4...that would be great. I would love to hear your opinion when you get back. I'm there in 49 days but will be staying at the Albion but I'll definately take a walk by to check out the Wyndham while I'm in the area. Enjoy your cruise :)

Stay in South Beach.

Thats where I'm leaning so far but its alot of dynamics. I need 2 rooms for my party of 6 so cost is definately a factor. I'm hoping the 2 single guys will let 2 of my kids sleep in their room and that will make it easier and cheaper. They Wyndham has Jr Suites with 2 beds and a pullout so there will be plenty of room.

Blue Heron, what is your opinion of the Albion? I'm staying there in May one night precruise. I know you are the South Beach/Miami expert here :D

Thats where I'm leaning so far but its alot of dynamics. I need 2 rooms for my party of 6 so cost is definately a factor. I'm hoping the 2 single guys will let 2 of my kids sleep in their room and that will make it easier and cheaper. They Wyndham has Jr Suites with 2 beds and a pullout so there will be plenty of room.

Blue Heron, what is your opinion of the Albion? I'm staying there in May one night precruise. I know you are the South Beach/Miami expert here :D

I've never stayed there just had drinks in the lobby (all South Beach hotels have lobby bars) and it's fine. Very middle of the road South Beach boutique hotel. Because South Beach has so many luxury, high end hotels, the moderate hotels are much nicer than you'd find in any other city.

I've never stayed there just had drinks in the lobby (all South Beach hotels have lobby bars) and it's fine. Very middle of the road South Beach boutique hotel. Because South Beach has so many luxury, high end hotels, the moderate hotels are much nicer than you'd find in any other city.

Thank you....sounds good enough to me for one night. I'll have a drink at the lobby bar and give a cheer to BlueHerons :D

• 1 month later...

REVIEW---Wyndham Garden South Beach

Wonderful hotel-great location only 2 blocks from Ocean Drive which is the main strip!!!! Tell Wanda @ the front desk that the Johnsons say HI!!!

We arrived early rooms were not ready but that was OK we parked our luggage went looking around, had something to eat and came back 1.5 hrs later and rooms were ready.

We stayed in Grand & Jr. Suites in the Bel Aire building & the last building (forgot the name of it but its next to the restuarant-which we did not eat at). Renovated- very nice- large bathrooms plenty of room in the shower!!!

Eat at the 11th Street Diner-great food-a little slow after midnight waited 60 minutes for our food :eek: and after drinking at Wet Willies & Mangos this was not good but once it came it was wonderful :D.

We stayed on a Sunday prior to the cruise & the Saturday after the cruise-went straight to the hotel from POM-did have to have them hold our luggage again but Wanda worked her magic and got one of the rooms ready by lunch and the other shortly there after.

I would highly recommend this hotel and will stay here again when we are in South Beach-hopefully sooner rather than later because SOBE was hoppin!!!

Archived