What would you do??

My choices are a D1 balcony connected to a F cat ocean view all the way forward on liberty (5 night) or for $120.00 more I can get connecting E1 balconies...here is my problem. We will be sailing with 3 small kids (ages 8, 5 and 5 at sailing) so they are not old enough to use the balcony without supervision. I have been told that a new maritime law now prohibits opening balcony dividers on ANY ship on ANY cruiseline, although I haven't found anything on the interne to verify this. Anyway, would you book the balcony/ov (only 2 of these on the ship so it's kind of a now or never booking) and save the $120 then upgrade if balcony prices drop or would you take the chance and book adjoining balconies with the chance 1 balcony may not get used?

I just got off the Liberty today. We were in a promenade interior on deck six #6591...center ship. from either elevator it was a good walk to our cabin. My only fear for you booking a forward cabin is that you will have a long walk....just a thought!..

I consider myself economical so I would get the balcony/oceanview combo and save the money. My kids ages 11 and 12 don't get nearly the same appreciation for a balcony as the adults do anyways. The extra walk wouldn't bother me either.

As for opening of balcony partitions. I've heard this before also though I still see reports of people who have their dividers opened. It seems dependent on ship and staff. Can't hurt to ask though.

I would take the balcony cabin connecting to oceanview. With children that young they do not need their own balcony and you save money.

I would not worry about the long walk.........it is good exercise.

Thanks guys...I went with the balcony/ov because if we can't open partitions it's a wasted $200. My kids wouldn't be left in the balcony room alone, DH or I would be in with them, so that is another plus of the balcony/ov combo. I wasn't worried about the walk to elevators/stairs, I mean who doesn't do a lot of walking on any cruise regardless of cabin location. My only concern is the motion all the way forward, as we have only had midship cabins in the past, and a little worried about my daughter who usually feels "funny as she calls it" on our first night aboard. A little pepto is all it takes for her to get back to normal, but not sure about forward cabins :confused:. It's a short 5 nighter so I will just take all my seasick meds with us and hope for the best.

spcopps, you've made a good decision with the D1/F connecting choice. And there should be no worries with sea sickness if your family takes a Bonine (or what works for you) before the sailing, and one each evening. Best to take it in advance as a precaution, and not wait until one doesn't feel well. :)

Thanks guys...I went with the balcony/ov because if we can't open partitions it's a wasted $200. My kids wouldn't be left in the balcony room alone, DH or I would be in with them, so that is another plus of the balcony/ov combo. I wasn't worried about the walk to elevators/stairs, I mean who doesn't do a lot of walking on any cruise regardless of cabin location. My only concern is the motion all the way forward, as we have only had midship cabins in the past, and a little worried about my daughter who usually feels "funny as she calls it" on our first night aboard. A little pepto is all it takes for her to get back to normal, but not sure about forward cabins :confused:. It's a short 5 nighter so I will just take all my seasick meds with us and hope for the best.

Good choice. If your kids won't use the balcony anyway, why get it?

Good choice. If your kids won't use the balcony anyway, why get it?

My kids actually LOVE the balcony, they enjoy watching the ocean pass and people watch in port. My problem was, if the dividers couldn't be open then their balcony wouldn't be used because they are not allowed on the balcony unsupervised (they will be 9, 5 and 5) and DH and I wouldn't want to sit on different balconies with the divider closed ;). If I knew for certain we could open the dividers, it would have been worth the extra $200 for the extra balcony space because we do spend a lot of time on our balcony.

Archived