Rum point starfish point....taxi or rent a van?

paminohio

Hi!

My husband and I are taking our 5 teenagers(save me!) on a cruise and will be in grand cayman in late April. We love the beach and have read a lot of great reviews of rum point and starfish point, but it seems like it's off the beaten path. We will only be in port 8-3 and since it's a tender port, may cut down on the time even more. What would say is the best way to get to those beaches? Do you think we really have enough time to enjoy them or should we stay closer like, seven mile beach?

Thanks for any info and guidance! Pam

There are also a number of private operators with tours that include a stop at Rum Point. My recommendation is to take a tour by water that includes the stops you want, or charter a boat. The starfish are much easier to see by water. (And there's the advantage that it's a 15 minute trip by water compared to a 45 minute one by land.)

Starfish Point by land is actually Ivory Kai, private property which will eventually be condos. It's blocked off pretty well by land, to keep cars from accessing the property, so you would have to park the car along the road and walk there, carrying your stuff.

If you do go there by land, please be considerate of the fact that it is private property, and take all of your garbage, etc. with you when you leave. It is more than annoying to get to your property and have to spend time picking up all the trash that trespassers have left in your yard... :mad:

Archived