Looking at Water Shoes

Ladies I haven't owned a pair of water shoes since I was about 6 or 7. We won't discuss how long ago that was.

Anyway, I have been looking at some and have found that there are basically 2 styles, maryjane and lace-up. Does anyone have a preference for either type, pros, cons, anything?

I won't get a lot of wear out of them but think they would be good for the beach and other water activities. Can you drive in them?

Thanks for any help!

I keep a pair in the car and a pair in my beach bag. They are good cheap slip on because you dont want to get your real shoes muddy in an emergency shoe, and they go through the washing machine. I have driven in them, I do not find that they have enough support to wear walking a long distance though. Mine are the slip on kind like Froufie posted, mine are blue and black.

I bought these and they are fantastic. They are expensive though, but they are a water shoe and a hiking shoe in one. I have issues with my feet and cannot wear shoes with minimal support. Good luck finding a pair perfect for you.

These are by Teva

decke413737_221379_jb1.jpg

I have a pair of the slip-on kind, but I don't like the feel of them when they get wet. They seem heavy/clunky to me.

I purchased some sandals from Columbia, like this http://www.columbia.com/Women%27s-Sun-Light%E2%84%A2/BL4277,default,pd.html

and I can wear them in the water too. These are much lighter and easier to adjust with the straps. The traction on mine seem pretty good and they are fairly supportive for a sandal.

YMMV ;)

I just bought a pair of MJ style from L. L. Bean. I didn't like the thickness of the straps on the Lands End MJs. I am going to try them out tonight when I get home. I bought hubby a pair of sneaker-style ones.

I have bought much cheaper ones in the past, and they don't even last a few outings down the shore, so now I am investing in a nicer pair.

I got my L. L. Bean Water shoes in the mail yesterday and tried them on immediately. OMG SO CUTE! They do run a half size big. I put them on and wore them around the house a bit. They were lighter weight than they looked. I can't wait to get them into the water!

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63392?feat=507874-CL2

FYI

I just picked up water shoes for me and hubby at Ross today $10 each. His are plain black slip-ons and mine are the mary jane style...turquoise to match my cover up. They had only black for men but pink and turquoise blue for women.

I'm a fan of this style. Quick drying, open so feet don't sweat, and covered toe for hiking. I even wear them as a pair of sandals, very comfy. Plus you save space when packing, since these do double duty. :)

So glad to see you recommend these! I bought some to use as go-to shoes for most things on our trip. They've been wonderfully comfortable (worn to work two days!). I've bought two other styles of slides by this company and love them! Also taking a pair of zip top water shoes that don't look great but easy to throw in bag. Read on CC that the zipper made it easy to get off when wet.

I bought a pair of Speedo slip on water shoes for our Christmas cruise for about $25. I wore them one day only in Belize. We walked from the car to the river and crossed the river. By the time I was 10 yards away from the river after crossing, the sole insert was loose and riding up the side. I spent the next 45 minutes of hiking trying to fix them. I threw them away when we got back to the ship!

If you're going to purchase an inexpensive pair, pull on the insert inside the shoe. If it comes loose or shifts, you will be miserable. If it stays secure, you *might* be alright. You won't know for sure until you walk in them wet and then dry.

I just spent $80 on a pair of Teva Omniums . Planning to wear them next week at Atlantis Aquaventure, then try them out on Belize this summer. Fingers crossed they work out better than last pair purchased.

• 6 months later...
I'm a fan of this style. Quick drying, open so feet don't sweat, and covered toe for hiking. I even wear them as a pair of sandals, very comfy. Plus you save space when packing, since these do double duty. :)

Mine are very similar to these. They are just the cheap Payless brand. They're comfy for lots of walking, dry fast and have a good tred for uneven surfaces.

Archived