Hotels in NOLA

momof5k

Hampton Inn Garden District on St. Charles. Ask for a cruise rate which is $129+taxes.

They have breakfast, free parking while on cruise, and the streetcar stops right in

front of the hotel. They also have tea & cheese at 5PM???

Cruzin Lady

This is my first cruise out of New Orleans. I am leaning toward booking the Hampton Inn Garden District for a March 8 Cruise on Royal Caribbean but want to use the streetcar to tour as we will arrive a day early. Another post said it was not working for some reason. Is it fixed?

On cruise day, does the hotel shuttle get you to the port faster than driving and parking in the Fulton garage? I heard there were traffic jams for those driving their cars into the port.

If we do the hotel shuttle, what about after the cruise? Will the hotel shuttle pick us up? There are 5 of us going to the port and 4 for the shuttle back to the hotel to pick up the car? (The 5th is flying home.) Will that happen in a timely manner? We have a 12 hour drive home after getting to our car.

And is the parking at the hotel pretty safe and secure?

A lot of questions! Hopefully someone out there has all the answers.

This is my first cruise out of New Orleans. I am leaning toward booking the Hampton Inn Garden District for a March 8 Cruise on Royal Caribbean but want to use the streetcar to tour as we will arrive a day early. Another post said it was not working for some reason. Is it fixed?

On cruise day, does the hotel shuttle get you to the port faster than driving and parking in the Fulton garage? I heard there were traffic jams for those driving their cars into the port.

If we do the hotel shuttle, what about after the cruise? Will the hotel shuttle pick us up? There are 5 of us going to the port and 4 for the shuttle back to the hotel to pick up the car? (The 5th is flying home.) Will that happen in a timely manner? We have a 12 hour drive home after getting to our car.

And is the parking at the hotel pretty safe and secure?

A lot of questions! Hopefully someone out there has all the answers.

we cruised on the 6th of october and the street cars were closed down. they were changing out the tracks. do not know when it will start up again.

but, the bus comes by every 15 minutes, but, at times that is a night mare!!:eek:

also, cabs and cab vans charge $7 a person going to the port on cruise day!! good luck!:)

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a BIG issue... My cruise is booked from NOLA on May 5th and I will be getting married the day of departure... I have called about 8 hotels and NONE have any availability for the 4th-5th... :confused::confused::eek::eek::eek:

Hotels are:

1. Embassy Suiets

2. Hilton

3. Hampton

4. Double Tree

5. Homewood

6. Holiday Inn French Quarter

7. Holiday Inn Superdome (downtown)

8. French Quarter-Chateau Lemoyne

How is this possible???? LOL I need more recommendations!! I need a salon as well if anyone can help with that!!

This is a time almost as busy as Mardi Gras. It is Jazz Fest time, and hotels book up very quickly.

Try the Holiday Inn in Gretna. It is just over the Mississippi River bridge and is about 10 minutes from the port and 15 minutes from the quarter. Make reservations soon, this is a very busy weekend. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

The streetcars still arn't running between Canal St and Louisiana, and probably won't be till well into Spring/Summer of 2013, HOWEVER the buses are very much in evidence on the streetcar route and are (truthfully) more convenient and quicker if not as picturesque!

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone give me information about the Renaissance Hotel on Tchoupitoulas Street? I just won it on Priceline for $111 for a 4*

We're staying there for two days pre-cruise. I know it's close to the port, but I think we'll need a cab to get to the French Quarter. Never been to NOLA before, but really looking forward to it.

We are staying at the Wyndham Riverfront for January cruise. How far to Bourbon street and is it safe to walk? Also, is it walking distance to the port? Thanks in advance for any info! (Great thread by the way.)

The walk is not short to Bourbon Street:eek: but I found it to be safe:). The Port is right across the street in front of Wyndham Riverfront:D.

• 1 month later...
Can anyone tell me about the Renaissance Arts hotel? Is it walking distance to anything? Good area?

We stayed at the Embassy Suites which is about 2 blocks from the Renaissance Arts. I thought the area was fine. We walked to Bourbon street, looked around a little, ate dinner at Deanie's Seafood then walked back to the Embassy Suites. (this included my mid-70's in-laws.) So I guess it depends on what you consider walking distance. We had no trouble with ~8 blocks each way. I never really felt unsafe, though a few of the 'street crowd' on Canal made my spidey sense tingle. (That was only because I had 6 family members with me including the kids and I'm security conscious.)

I believe a cab anywhere in the FQ area is $7/per person if you don't want to walk.

Question on three hotels I am looking at. All 3 have pretty good reviews on Trip Advisor. Anyone know anything about the Quality Inn Maison St. Charles or the Avenue Plaza by Wyndham also on St. Charles or the Clarion Inn & Suites on Canal Street. From what I understand the trolley stops practically in front of the Quality Inn & the Avenue. Iknow it is down right now but we won't be going til October. Also, if C Richard is here - is there something going on in NOLA the weekend of the 18th & 19th of October? Rates seem to really jump then. Thanks for any info!

We are going out of NOLA in April 2013, and just booked

Holiday Inn Express NEW ORLEANS EAST On BULLARD AVE.

Has any one ever stayed there? :) :D

it's nowhere near downtown and the ports. you may want to map it (to see how far away you are from everything; basically, you're in suburbia) and rebook. you'll need a car if you decide to stay there.

You do not want to stay there! the hotel is located in an area far from downtown and located in one of the least desirable locations imaginable. You are far removed from anything that someone could possibility want to be around. It is basically in the east where the area is still trying to come back from Katrina. I don't want to scare you, but I wouldn't let my worst enemy stay in that area.

Now, if you don't care about being downtown or near the French Quarter, you should reconsider and look at motels in Metairie. It is much safer. IMHO

Scott can I pick you brain? We want to stay in the Quarter and I have reserve the Foru Poinst Sheraton on Bourbon st for 129. Is this a good rate or can you recommend somewhere else? Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me about the Renaissance Arts hotel? Is it walking distance to anything? Good area?

We stayed at the Renaissance for two days pre-cruise January 10-12. The area is just fine. We walked to the French Quarter...very easy, not very far. We never ate at the hotel. Instead, we ate dinner at Lucy's Retired Surfer's Bar and Restaurant across the street from the hotel (make sure to have the Key Lime dessert!) and we had breakfasts at Ruby Slipper (between the hotel and the French Quarter) and also at Oceana in the French Quarter.

Has anyone stayed or have any info about the Wyndham Garden on Bayonne St? Is it a safe walk to/from the FQ? I am trying to decide between there and the Sheraton on Canal. (Since the Sheraton is undergoing renovations, I am unsure about staying there)

How far is St. Joseph St from the terminal? The Residence Inn is where I am looking. Any thoughts on this hotel? It looks to be fairly close to the Hilton , which I have stayed at before. I am assuming the area is okay. Please give any feedback. Especially if you're a local or have stayed here. Thanks.

Archived