Diver Lost In Cozumel

C Cruise Dude

Do You Feel Safe with Dive Operators in Cozumel  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Feel Safe with Dive Operators in Cozumel

• Yes
    • No

A Celebrity Equinox passenger was lost during a dive in Cozumel in the last 3 days. According to the posted stories, she was with a group when she surfaced but no one kept track of her and she has been missing since.

I was looking at dives in Cozumel on the Carnival site last year and was uncomfortable because of two bad reviews. One talked of the rough currents and the other about a fellow diver who had a bad regulator and the operator did not seem concerned.

I have heard of great diving in Coz but with those reviews and this unfortunate incident, I'm not sure if I will ever dive Cozumel.

http://www.divetalking.com/?p=6047

A link with the translated story

She was a certified diver and responsible for her own actions. The DMs in Cozumel are dive guides only. The currents were far too strong that day for a newbie diver. People have to know their limits. Sad situation, but it wasn't the DM's fault or that of the dive shop.

She was a certified diver and responsible for her own actions. The DMs in Cozumel are dive guides only. The currents were far too strong that day for a newbie diver. People have to know their limits. Sad situation, but it wasn't the DM's fault or that of the dive shop.

And you know all this how? The Mexican authorities have not made their decision yet.

Her son has reported what happened on scubaboard. She was a brand new, certified diver, and had problems clearing her ears. Her husband, who was her dive buddy, started to go up with her and then went to let the DM know that she was going up. Her husband should have stayed with her. They don't believe she ever made it to the surface and was caught in a downwelling current off of Santa Rosa Wall, which was particularly nasty that day.

I am in Cozumel right now and have been diving the last few days. We are relatively new divers, 22 dives so far. I feel safe with our dive op. We are using Dive with Martin. We told him our experience and we have been diving some really amazing sites. Yesterday we did experience some swift currents but we were ok. Accidents happen, anywhere for all different reasons. Dive with what you are comfortable with and don't push it.

Prayers to the woman's family.

I only manage to get to Cozumel one day a year on cruise ships but I have dived Santa Rosa Wall four times (last time was 3/3/12).This years dive we stayed on top of the wall in the caverns and swim throughs as I was diving Nitrox. Last year we were hitting 140-145 feet on the wall using air on the first dive. Both of these trips were a private charter for just myself with Eagle Ray Divers.

In my opinion Santa Rosa Wall is absolutely no place for new divers---too much current and too deep.I know Eagle Ray won't take just anyone to Santa Rosa.

The day before we were in Grand Cayman diving with Cayman Cruise Divers (good folks). I met a young couple from Minnesota who were just certified that week.They had made 6 dives to a max depth of 39 feet.They had just signed up for a 100 foot wall dive !!!! I asked them what their depth limit was as an Open Water diver---they did not know !!!!I could not believe the dive leader was going to allow this---I sure as heck was not going to buddy up with them.I finally managed to talk them out of the dive and arranged for several of the less experienced divers to do a dive to 50-60 feet on the reef next to the wall.Five of us went to 105 feet on the wall.

Yes, certified divers should be responsible for their own actions. Dive professionals should be aware of their customers certification levels and experience.If I were to take a new diver to the Mount Carmel Church Cemetery in our local lake (Jocassee) I would be guilty of gross neglegence on my part.It is a two way street.

Do not dive beyond your certification and experience level.If you are not comfortable with the dive then don't do it period.You are ultimately responsible for you. Don't count on the "Scuba Police" to stop you are save you.Remember what you learned in class--- Open Water has a 60 foot depth limit for a reason---get additional training and experience before trying challenging dives.

The danger of that day has become even more evident as other divers have reported about the conditions on Santa Rosa Wall. Plus, there was another fatality that day. Another woman was caught in the downwelling current and inflated her bcd to get out of it, then shot to the surface without deflating it and died as a result of the rapid ascent.

Prayers go out to both families.

I have been diving Cozumel for at least a dozen years. Santa Rosa Wall is generally rated an Advanced Open Water because the conditions can change so rapidly. It is beautiful and I can understand why people want to dive it, but you must be aware of your surroundings. It is very easy to get caught up with what is going on around you and lose track of your depth. One of our dives there, I had to chase one of our group to 165 ft. He had started to chase a fish and probably got narc'ed and kept going down. Took him back to his buddy and made them both go up and follow at 15 feet because the first guy's tank was nearly dry. You have to know your limits and you need be aware of what you are doing and where your buddy is. The dive shop may have made a mistake in going to Santa Rosa, but ultimately, the responsibility is on the diver. If you are unsure, don't go. If you go, stay close to the DM, until you have some experieince under your belt. The ocean is not a pool.

ken

I am very interested in diving but have never done it. We are on the Freedom next week and have looked at a couple of intro to diving excursions. One in Cozumel that is in the Marine Park and goes to depths of up to 40 feet after training. Another in Grand Caymen that goes to depts of 25 feet near a sunken tanker. After reading some of this I wonder if these programs are ok. I am very comfortable in the water, snorkel a lot, and have done snuba dives in the small underwater ATV type things?

Any advise?

Thanks

I am very interested in diving but have never done it. We are on the Freedom next week and have looked at a couple of intro to diving excursions. One in Cozumel that is in the Marine Park and goes to depths of up to 40 feet after training. Another in Grand Caymen that goes to depts of 25 feet near a sunken tanker. After reading some of this I wonder if these programs are ok. I am very comfortable in the water, snorkel a lot, and have done snuba dives in the small underwater ATV type things?

Any advise?

Thanks

Hi TracyR,

These program are very safe. When you are taken out on your introductory scuba dive, they will bring you to an area with a defined bottom, at most 40 ft below the surface. You simply can't go any deeper than that because there will be reef or sand there.

The comments above in this thread are about a dive site with a bottom of over 150 ft deep, so it is the diver's control that limits the depth. As you can read, some beginner divers struggle with this, so site with a bottom are good in that situation.

Please do not be worried about learning to dive. It is really an amazing adventure from the first time you are in the pool then for the rest of your life. Just be sure to learn the theory and skills and dive smart. If you are uncomfortable with a dive site, don't be afraid to say so. This should not be the case for the first dive as they will pick a dive site that is a good fit for 1st time divers.

If you have questions, let me know. I did a Discover Scuba 1st time dive program in Cancun in 2009 and got certified in 2010 and haven't looked back!

Hi TracyR,

These program are very safe. When you are taken out on your introductory scuba dive, they will bring you to an area with a defined bottom, at most 40 ft below the surface. You simply can't go any deeper than that because there will be reef or sand there.

The comments above in this thread are about a dive site with a bottom of over 150 ft deep, so it is the diver's control that limits the depth. As you can read, some beginner divers struggle with this, so site with a bottom are good in that situation.

Please do not be worried about learning to dive. It is really an amazing adventure from the first time you are in the pool then for the rest of your life. Just be sure to learn the theory and skills and dive smart. If you are uncomfortable with a dive site, don't be afraid to say so. This should not be the case for the first dive as they will pick a dive site that is a good fit for 1st time divers.

If you have questions, let me know. I did a Discover Scuba 1st time dive program in Cancun in 2009 and got certified in 2010 and haven't looked back!

Kryssa,

Thank you for the response. The following to info blips are from the dives we are looking at. I am guessing they both have a defined bottom?

thanks,

Learn to SCUBA dive in Cozumel's warm, crystal clear waters. After arriving at the dive shop, you will meet your instructor and begin a small group class which will introduce you to the world of diving.

After the instructor feels you have a good grasp on the basics of scuba, you will put on gear and practice with the gear off the beach. Due to the small size of your group, you will receive plenty of hands-on direction.

When everyone is feeling confident, your instructor will lead you to the boat and you will set off to the reef to try your hand at a one tank dive with your instructor to a maximum of 40 feet.

Depending on the water conditions that day, your captain will take you to the best location on the reef for scuba that day. You will be diving in the Marine Park. All guests will need to pay the captain a $2.50 per person user fee in cash.

The aim of the Discover Scuba Dive is to provide a safe and fun experience for non-certified divers to encounter the underwater world. The Discover Scuba Dive trip consists of a briefing on the basics of Scuba Diving as well as instruction on key skills required to dive in the shallow water off the beach. After your basic instruction, you will get the opportunity to experience a guided dive with your instructor on the wreck of the Cali which is located in 25 feet of water. The Cali is a 244 foot long freighter which sank in Georgetown Harbor in 1948. The ship's ribs are exposed and scattered along the ocean floor, providing ideal habitat for a Cayman's diverse marine life, including many species of beautiful sponges, tropical fish and a school of large Tarpon.

There will be a maximum of four students per instructor, ensuring small groups and personalized attention. Participants must be a minimum of 10 years of age and be in good health. Participants will be required to fill out a medical questionnaire prior to enrollment and must be comfortable in the water. The tour includes all required equipment, instruction, and one dive.

they are through a private company so I am not sure of the vendors.

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

Kryssa,

Thank you for the response. The following to info blips are from the dives we are looking at. I am guessing they both have a defined bottom?

thanks,

Learn to SCUBA dive in Cozumel's warm, crystal clear waters. After arriving at the dive shop, you will meet your instructor and begin a small group class which will introduce you to the world of diving.

After the instructor feels you have a good grasp on the basics of scuba, you will put on gear and practice with the gear off the beach. Due to the small size of your group, you will receive plenty of hands-on direction.

When everyone is feeling confident, your instructor will lead you to the boat and you will set off to the reef to try your hand at a one tank dive with your instructor to a maximum of 40 feet.

Depending on the water conditions that day, your captain will take you to the best location on the reef for scuba that day. You will be diving in the Marine Park. All guests will need to pay the captain a $2.50 per person user fee in cash.

The aim of the Discover Scuba Dive is to provide a safe and fun experience for non-certified divers to encounter the underwater world. The Discover Scuba Dive trip consists of a briefing on the basics of Scuba Diving as well as instruction on key skills required to dive in the shallow water off the beach. After your basic instruction, you will get the opportunity to experience a guided dive with your instructor on the wreck of the Cali which is located in 25 feet of water. The Cali is a 244 foot long freighter which sank in Georgetown Harbor in 1948. The ship's ribs are exposed and scattered along the ocean floor, providing ideal habitat for a Cayman's diverse marine life, including many species of beautiful sponges, tropical fish and a school of large Tarpon.

There will be a maximum of four students per instructor, ensuring small groups and personalized attention. Participants must be a minimum of 10 years of age and be in good health. Participants will be required to fill out a medical questionnaire prior to enrollment and must be comfortable in the water. The tour includes all required equipment, instruction, and one dive.

they are through a private company so I am not sure of the vendors.

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

I did my discover dive many many years ago in Aruba (thats where my DW says it was) as a resort dive (confined area) and I would guess that we went down 20-25 ft max sandy bottom. We feed shark and turtles (we were protected by steel and glass).

As a OW diver with maybe 35+ dives and still a beginner, I am amazed with the Discover dives I read about and feel anything beyond a shore dive to 25 ft in contained waters is a real risk.

Maybe the industry needs to define the limits and force compliance with license laws.

John

Tracy,

There is always a risk to SCUBA diving, but the intro/discover 1st time dives do everything possible to make it as safe as possible. If you pay attention to what they teach you, the risks are pretty small.

EVERY intro/discover dive WILL have a well defined bottom in the 15-40ish foot range. If they don't the operation is totally unsafe, refuse to go into the water, ask for your money back, and report the instructor and dive operator to their affiliated program (e.g. PADI or NAUI).

The incidents they describe above didn't happen to first time divers. They happened to divers who were certified, but didn't have a whole lot of experience and got in situations they weren't quite ready for yet. The intro dives are designed specially to avoid those types of situations.

If you do go on to get certified, it's VERY important you make sure you tell your DM how much experience you have had, and the last time you dove. Stay close to the DM. IMHO, make sure you do this at least the first 50 dives. After that, the DM (mostly) leaves you alone to do you own thing. Heck, I still make sure I always have one eye on my buddy, and the other on the DM.

If you are really serious about learning to dive, your BEST option by far would be to do all the pool and class work back home, and do your certification dives in Cozumel or Grand Cayman.

Dennis

Thank you everyone for the information. I am a VERY cautious person and wouldn't do anything that I was nervous about. I have found out that we are going with Aqua Safari and have read good things about them. Looking forward to fun.

• 2 weeks later...

We did our discovery dive in Cozumel with Aqua Safari. It was awesome. I felt very safe with our DM. He made sure we paid attention and took all of the instructions seriously. We had an intro to the equipment, watched the 30 min video, took a test, then went out in about 6 ft of water in a confined place. We had to be able to clear our ears, take our regulator out of our mouths, clear it, and put it back in as well as clear our masks before we went out. We always had a very defined bottom and were at 30 ft depth average. There was one certified diver, our DM, and three of us who hadn't dove. I always felt very safe and enjoyed myself completely. Thanks to those who provided information .

• 3 weeks later...

Diving in Cozumel can be some of the best diving you will ever encounter. Diving for sport is like any other activity. You are responsible for your own diving. You should check out your diving equipment before you enter the water. The potential for getting bad rental gear is just the reason I take my own personal gear on my dive trips. The cost of the extra luggage fee is offset by three dive trip rentals. I am familiar with my gear and I know its maintenance history.

You should be comfortable with your equipment, the dive site, and the DM. Ask questions both before and during the dive briefing. And LISTEN intently to the dive briefing. It just may save you from injury or death.

We love the drift diving in Cozumel. It is not that bad if you do a little studying before you start diving with a current. We have been in ripping currents, but not a severe downwelling on the wall. But I do know divers who have been caught in some in Cozumel. THey had the knowledge and skills to get out of them. These are both disconcerting for a new diver. Fighting either can burn up your air and exhaust you. There are studies that reflect that fighting severe currents can even lead to cardiac insufficiency in even a healthy diver if they are inexperienced and do not know how to properly fin. You can then black out and die as a result.

I feel sorry for the lost diver and her family, but don't rip on Cozumel if you aren't prepared when you dive there.

• 7 months later...

I too agree Santa Rosa is a good as it gets - for intermediate to advanced divers. Know your limits, keep your skills sharp, and don't dive anyplace you don't feel comfortable.

Dive buddies are a team - violate the team rules and bad things will happen

Archived