Helsinki Questions? Glad to help!

I assume your tour end somewhere in the city centre. You'll have plenty of time. The ferries leave from the Market Square and take 20 minutes to get to Suomenlinna. The island is quite small so you can walk around it and get back in time.

thanks appreciate it. Also, what type of souvenirs do you suggest in Helsinki?

thanks appreciate it. Also, what type of souvenirs do you suggest in Helsinki?

Walk through the stalls in Market Square. Plenty of handicrafts and local foods to be found. We have excellent arctic berry jams that are worth trying! :)

Walk through the stalls in Market Square. Plenty of handicrafts and local foods to be found. We have excellent arctic berry jams that are worth trying! :)

Also wondering if we get bus #16 back from ferry to hernesaari port what is the exact fare needed in euro and also what would a taxi cost? thanks again

Hi:

What is the best way to get here from the port? We are on the Emerald in late August. Is there a direct bus? easy to walk to?

Thanks

Sharon

Hi Sharon, the bus 14B will take you very close. It leaves from the port and if you wish, you can walk back.

Here is a link which shows you the route and times:

http://www.reittiopas.fi/en/

From Hernesaari to Sibelius Park.

Also wondering if we get bus #16 back from ferry to hernesaari port what is the exact fare needed in euro and also what would a taxi cost? thanks again

24 hour ticket is 7 euros.

A single 2 hour ticket is 2,70 € if bought from the driver (2,20 if bought from a machine).

Small change is essential if bought from the driver as they might not be able to give you change from big notes (20 € and higher).

Taxi would be about 12-15 euros. They are reliable but sorely expensive.

The distance is 2,5 miles.

.... all my finnish friends have said...."forget the historical stuff and head to the Esplanade" :)

Really? To be honest, you can spend a half an hour there and even that is stretching it :) it's not really even a park. You can also walk the streets on each side and you'd still have spent less than 45 minutes.

Will there be anyplace near the cruise ship port that might have free WiFi? Or an internet cafe?

Many places have WiFi. One I am certain of is Fazer Cafe at Stockmann department store which is very easy to find. All McDonalds have WiFi and there is always a sticker on the cafe/restaurant/shop door if they offer it.

Just keep your eyes open.

We are thinking of doing a bus tour during our day in Helsinki. Do you have suggestions about which company would be best? Will appreciate any leads very much!

I'd recommend either the orange Helsinki Expert Buses or green/yellow Stromma buses. With Stromma you get two different routes if you so wish with 30 €. Expert is well-known and was long the only HOHO company in Helsinki, their price is 28 €.

There's not much other difference, the orange bus covers all the main sights almost as well as the green/yellow combination.

I'd recommend either the orange Helsinki Expert Buses or green/yellow Stromma buses. With Stromma you get two different routes if you so wish with 30 €. Expert is well-known and was long the only HOHO company in Helsinki, their price is 28 €.

There's not much other difference, the orange bus covers all the main sights almost as well as the green/yellow combination.

Thank you so much for this information about the busses. Do you have any opinion about what would be easiest to do starting from the cruise ship? One of these two busses vs. the cheaper tram? Our main goal is to just get the easiest possible overview of the sights.

Hi Sinny! Thank you in advance for all your advice! Can you recommend how to go about doing the itinerary I plan below(which bus/tram?)?

We are on the Emerald Princess docking at Hernesaari on August 27th. 7am-4pm

Hernesaari to Sibelius ? (going here first since the Rock Church doesn't open until 10am?

--where is this bus top in relation to the port?

Sibelius to Rock Church?

Rock Church to Market Square?

Market Square to Suomenlinna Fortress? and back-

-think I know this one to take the HSL ferry

Market Square back to Hernesaari?

OR should I do:

Hernesaari to Market Square to Suomenlinna back to Market Square to Rock Church to Sibelius and then back to Hernesaari. If you recommend this 2nd itinerary better, please explain how to go about it as well.

This is what I think I could fit in with this time frame, with time including hanging out at Market Square to shop.

But what do you think about the other sites like the Olympic stadium, Opera House? Do you recommend them as must-see's and if so, am I able to squeeze them in?

Edited by jenhung012

Hi Sinny

Can you buy the all day card for buses from the driver or must it be from the machine? If so is there one near where the Emerald Princess will be docking? Thanks

Sharon

You can buy it from the driver. Be prepared to have some smaller notes and coins with you, the driver may not be able to give you change from 50 € note.

Thank you so much for this information about the busses. Do you have any opinion about what would be easiest to do starting from the cruise ship? One of these two busses vs. the cheaper tram? Our main goal is to just get the easiest possible overview of the sights.

The 3B/3T tram route covers nearly all the sights and is a lot cheaper too. However there is no one to point out the sights or tell any information about them to you.

Many of the sights are very close to each other so they are also walkable (if that is an option).

If money is no object, I myself would recommend for you to take a bus.

Hi Sinny! Thank you in advance for all your advice! Can you recommend how to go about doing the itinerary I plan below(which bus/tram?)?

We are on the Emerald Princess docking at Hernesaari on August 27th. 7am-4pm

Hernesaari to Market Square to Suomenlinna back to Market Square to Rock Church to Sibelius and then back to Hernesaari. If you recommend this 2nd itinerary better, please explain how to go about it as well.

This is what I think I could fit in with this time frame, with time including hanging out at Market Square to shop.

But what do you think about the other sites like the Olympic stadium, Opera House? Do you recommend them as must-see's and if so, am I able to squeeze them in?

Hello!

I think your second itinerary is better. If you are up early, you'll have plenty of time. I've recommended to everyone who has the chance to be in the southern tip of Suomenlinna at 9.40am. Then you can see the two Stockholm ships coming in and it is a wonderful sight.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROjYwmwYZbqWr-SfnAZ20z1VPeqPjB7Xdrc2vxORcq4pbs5dig

Take bus 16 from Hernesaari to Market Square and then the ferry there and back. Tram 3T to Töölö direction to the Rock Church. If you want to see the other sights you mentioned and walking less than two miles is an option, I recommend you walk.

Take Arkadiankatu to east and then Mannerheimintie to north. That way you'll see Kiasma Museum of Modern Art, the Parliament House, Musiikkitalo and Finlandia concert halls, the National Museum, the Opera House and a good glimpse of the Olympic Stadium before you turn west on Sibeliuksenkatu.

From Sibelius Park take bus 14B, it goes straight to Hernesaari port.

If there's anything else, do ask!

Hello!

I think your second itinerary is better. If you are up early, you'll have plenty of time. I've recommended to everyone who has the chance to be in the southern tip of Suomenlinna at 9.40am. Then you can see the two Stockholm ships coming in and it is a wonderful sight.

Take bus 16 from Hernesaari to Market Square and then the ferry there and back. Tram 3T to Töölö direction to the Rock Church. If you want to see the other sights you mentioned and walking less than two miles is an option, I recommend you walk.

Take Arkadiankatu to east and then Mannerheimintie to north. That way you'll see Kiasma Museum of Modern Art, the Parliament House, Musiikkitalo and Finlandia concert halls, the National Museum, the Opera House and a good glimpse of the Olympic Stadium before you turn west on Sibeliuksenkatu.

Will do! Thanks so much!

Hello!

Hi Sinn,

It looks like the fortress doesn't open until 10am as well. Is it still efficient to go to the island that early? Do you know what time the earliest ferry to leave is?

Do you know of a good walking map of what you describe above?

Hi Sinn,

It looks like the fortress doesn't open until 10am as well. Is it still efficient to go to the island that early? Do you know what time the earliest ferry to leave is?

Do you know of a good walking map of what you describe above?

Hi, the fortress per se doesn't have opening times (it's just a bunch of ruins ;)), but the museum, visitor centre and the shop open at 10am . If you just want to enjoy the views, you can be there as early as you like.

There are people living on the island and they use the ferry to commute so they start running around 6am.

Helsinki Tourist Center is across the road from the Market Square (on the Cathedral side) and they have very good maps.

Thank you for the link. There is also a guided tour at 11:00 in english at Suomenlinna, do you any idea if it's worth the time and money?

Your help and advice are much appreciated.

The cost is 8 euros and I think the tour is worth it if you are interested in history. The guides are very professional and take pride in their job.

HI Sinny

Thanks so much for the info on the cost of the day pass and that it is available from the driver. I think we are going to get off as early as possile and head for the island, take in the views and then return to the city and then do our walking tour on our own.

Again many thanks gor helping me plan my day in Helsinki

Sharon

• 1 month later...

We just returned from our Baltic cruise and had a great day in Helsinki. It turned out to be the best weather of the cruise. We were docked at LHB and walked from the pier to the ferry dock in market square in about 45 minutes and went over to Suomenlinna (we had done the normal sights on a previous trip). Did about 4 hours of wandering and enjoying the weather. We made it to the far end of the island in time to see one of the ferries going through the narrow passage...couldn't believe how fast it was moving...there was so little room on both sides! Had time afterward to look around the market square, Uspenski church & the Lutheran church. Then we walked back to the ship by way of the waterfront.

Many thanks, Sinny, for all your information. We had a great time in your beautiful city.

Lynn