Helsinki Questions? Glad to help!

Hi. I didn't see this helpful thread until after I posted a new question on the Tourist Tickets from HKL. If you have time, could you help me with that one? If so, I'd really appreciate it! If not, maybe I can look through this thread and get my answer!

Oh, I answered one of my own questions! The port web site says that there's a ticket machine in the West Harbour terminal, so I can buy a ticket there!

We are on the Emerald Princess and will be in Helsinki on June 1. The ship is in port from 7 AM until 4 PM. Can we get to Porvoo on our own and back during that time frame, and how would we do it.

Short instructions:

From West Harbour take bus 14B. Exit at stop "Kamppi". Enter red brick bulding where it says "KAMPPI Linja-autoasema/Busstation" . Down the steps. Turn around , down the escalator. Turn around again. Follow the metropolitan bus platforms from 57 down to 40. Then keep to the left. Locate the subway (Metro) station entrance - half tube made of yellow brick scales like a lizard. Down the escalator OPPOSITE the subway entrance. Sign over escalator should say "Kaukoliikenne" or something similar. Buses to Porvoo starts from platforms 1-4. A table to the right of the platforms shows the bus times and correct platform. You can enter the platforms through the glass doors when the red cross turns to green. Tickets from the bus driver cost somewhere between 10 and 15 Euro.

Trip time is about 1h5min and there is no problem knowing where to get off. Buses back to Helsinki will stand in line in front of the Porvoo bus station building. Check the times on the table outside the building. They should be several buses each hour.

Here is a picture of the subway entrance:

http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiedosto:Kampin_terminaali,_gekko1.jpg

Edited by Ultima Thule

Thank you, both, Ultima and Sinppu, for your help to all of us! I've been lurking on this thread and have learned quite a bit from it.

We will be in Helsinki on Sunday, June 17th, docking at Hernesaari. One question that I don't think has been asked yet, is how frequent is the transit service (Bus 16 and tram 3B/3T) on Sundays? Here at home, we have reduced frequency for our transit system on Saturdays and Sundays, so am concerned that we need to take this into consideraton to ensure we get back to the ship in time.

Thank you!

I looked up the web site that was on this thread for where the ships are docked and ours is at Kanavaterminaali. I then looked at the map but could not find it. Does anybody know how to get to Market Square from there. Thanks

I looked up the web site that was on this thread for where the ships are docked and ours is at Kanavaterminaali. I then looked at the map but could not find it. Does anybody know how to get to Market Square from there. Thanks

Its located in Southern Harbour on point Katajanokka at the end of the bay and straight under the Uspenski Cathedral. Perhaps the best location of all quays! You'll be able to look down on the Market Square from the ship deck and its less than 1/4 mile walk to it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ll=60.166899,24.959151&spn=0.002399,0.00544&t=h&z=18

Edited by Ultima Thule

Thank you, both, Ultima and Sinppu, for your help to all of us! I've been lurking on this thread and have learned quite a bit from it.

We will be in Helsinki on Sunday, June 17th, docking at Hernesaari. One question that I don't think has been asked yet, is how frequent is the transit service (Bus 16 and tram 3B/3T) on Sundays? Here at home, we have reduced frequency for our transit system on Saturdays and Sundays, so am concerned that we need to take this into consideraton to ensure we get back to the ship in time.

Thank you!

Indeed a good question. Yes, summer is less frequent than winter and weekends also have reduced frequency.

I don't have access to this year's Summer time table yet but here are the summer 2011 time tables for bus 16 & tram 3T:

http://aikataulut.hsl.fi/kesa/linjat/en/h16.html

http://aikataulut.hsl.fi/kesa/linjat/en/h3t.html

Edited by Ultima Thule

Indeed a good question. Yes, summer is less frequent than winter and weekends also have reduced frequency.

I don't have access to this year's Summer time table yet but here are the summer 2011 time tables for bus 16 & tram 3T:

http://aikataulut.hsl.fi/kesa/linjat/en/h16.html

http://aikataulut.hsl.fi/kesa/linjat/en/h3t.html

Thank you very much, Ultima! Hopefully, the 2012 schedules will be available soon. If they are not available before we leave for Europe, would we be able to get them on the bus/tram?

We're on the Nautica and will be in port on June 20, 2012. It's difficult for me to figure out exactly WHERE that is on the port map. There is no link to click from the Cruise Ship listing and with the language barrier I'm a bit stumped!

We are wanting to take the bus to the Rock Church, I'd like to know ahead of time what bus to take and where it might be available close to where we dock.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Susan

Hi Susan. I was just curious if you found out where you'd be docking in June, as I'm on Oceania's Marina on August 20th. I couldn't see Nautica listed on portofhelsinki.fi so I was curious. I found Marina, and it's at the West Harbor (Länsisatama in Finnish). If you find Nautica (select English up top, to the right, then click on Passengers, hit "Name" to sort by name, click on West Terminal or whatever the list shows for Nautica), you can at least get the info on the west terminal (amenities, names of the quays (Vaitameri and Melkki) and stuff like that. I still don't know if we're at Vaitameri or Melkki, but the result is the same: I go outside the terminal, find and buy a tourist pass on the bus, take bus 15A a few stops to its end at Central Station, pick up tram 3T or whatever from there. I've found that by looking at Google Earth, which you need to download, you can see things a bit clearer than relying on maps. I cut and pasted the address for West Terminal into the "search" bar for Google Earth and you can see the quays there a little better than any other depiction I've seen. You might want to give that a try. I LOVE Google Earth!!

Hope that helps. Marina is larger than Nautica (sigh - I envy you!) so I wouldn't completely assume that you'll be at the West terminal as we are. In any case, once you select the "English" button, you'll find more info about the various locations. As Sinny says, there are two major docking locations for cruise pax - and multiple quays, but there's lot of good info on the port's web site.

Edited by roothy123

Oh, never mind, Susan. I found Nautica - at south terminal. However, I guess the same holds true - you could cut and paste the address for the south terminal into Google Earth to see where you'll be docked. Maybe you can just use the English translation on the journey planner Sinny gave you to see what the fastest way to get from south terminal to the Rock Church (Temppeliaukio, I think) would be.

Our ship will be in Helsinki on a Sunday, arriving at Katajanokka Terminal, from 7.30 am to 6.00 pm.

We would like to go to the 10 am Sunday service at Uspenski Cathedral, Kanauakatui. Could you please advise how to get there by public transport?

What will be open on a Sunday? Would the Design Museum be open on a Sunday? Any other Sunday recommendations?

BTW I am a fan of Jarkko Nieminen, Finnish tennis play, and always watch his games when he plays at the Australian Tennis Open.

Our ship will be in Helsinki on a Sunday, arriving at Katajanokka Terminal, from 7.30 am to 6.00 pm.

We would like to go to the 10 am Sunday service at Uspenski Cathedral, Kanauakatui. Could you please advise how to get there by public transport?

What will be open on a Sunday? Would the Design Museum be open on a Sunday? Any other Sunday recommendations?

BTW I am a fan of Jarkko Nieminen, Finnish tennis play, and always watch his games when he plays at the Australian Tennis Open.

Hi Marion!

If you don't have mobility issues, you can walk. It'll take you less than 10 minutes, probably closer to five. You can see the Uspenski from the ship (and almost the whole way walking to it.) If you'd rather use transport, there will be a tram from the terminal and it stops right next to Uspenski.

The Design Museum is open every day from 11 am to 6 pm. Summer Sundays are an excellent time to visit since most shops will be open from noon and there are plenty of people enjoying the day off (if the weather is nice -not guaranteed here ;))

I love tennis -my January highlight is always the Australian Open!!

Hi Marion!

If you don't have mobility issues, you can walk. It'll take you less than 10 minutes, probably closer to five. You can see the Uspenski from the ship (and almost the whole way walking to it.) If you'd rather use transport, there will be a tram from the terminal and it stops right next to Uspenski.

The Design Museum is open every day from 11 am to 6 pm. Summer Sundays are an excellent time to visit since most shops will be open from noon and there are plenty of people enjoying the day off (if the weather is nice -not guaranteed here ;))

I love tennis -my January highlight is always the Australian Open!!

Thank you so much for your response, Sinny.

I thought we may have been able to walk, but didn't realise it was that close. How exciting to be able to see Cathedral from the ship.

I assume we can then walk downtown from the Cathedral.

We'll come prepared for all weathers, but I hope it is a nice summer day, so the locals can enjoy their day off.

As you are probably aware, the Australian Tennis Open has a big following of people visiting from Northern Europe, escaping the winter weather. I'm pleased you enjoy watching the Open on TV.

Edited by MMDown Under

I thought we may have been able to walk, but didn't realise it was that close. How exciting to be able to see Cathedral from the ship.

I assume we can then walk downtown from the Cathedral.

Hi Marion, the Uspenski is on a hill so it is easy to spot. The view coming to Helsinki is worth seeing as you can see our both cathedrals quite far away.

You can then walk downtown, that'll take you another less than ten minutes. Just head for the other cathedral (which can also be seen from afar -the white one ;)) and you have the right direction.

Hi Marion, the Uspenski is on a hill so it is easy to spot. The view coming to Helsinki is worth seeing as you can see our both cathedrals quite far away.

You can then walk downtown, that'll take you another less than ten minutes. Just head for the other cathedral (which can also be seen from afar -the white one ;)) and you have the right direction.

Thank you, Sinny.

I love coming into port, so look forward to the view coming into Helsinki.

I've combined a list of restaurants for those interested in local food culture. These are all themed restaurants that cater very well especially to tourists but also to locals.

All the stalls at the Market Square.

Zetor, well-known and popular

http://www.ravintolazetor.fi/index_en.html

AS Restaurants -all very good and local except for Saslik which serves Russian food

http://www.asrestaurants.com/EN/experience-restaurants-in-helsinki.html

Juuri, serves Sapas= Finnish tapas dishes

http://www.juuri.fi/en/

Be warned, Finnish food is expensive ;)

Edited by Sinppu

Question for Sinny (and anyone else with an opinion): A while ago, you commented that in your opinion the boat trips are not good value. We have one full day in Helsinki (8:00 am-6:00 pm, which for practical purposes I suppose really means 9 to 5. We expect to use the Tram 3B/3T route, with a 1-day pass to allow "hopping on" and "hopping off." And we're also considering the Stromma "Beautiful Canal Route" trip (1.5 hours, 20 Euros). Can you comment on this particular trip? Are there other boat trips we should consider?

Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Question for Sinny (and anyone else with an opinion): A while ago, you commented that in your opinion the boat trips are not good value. We have one full day in Helsinki (8:00 am-6:00 pm, which for practical purposes I suppose really means 9 to 5. We expect to use the Tram 3B/3T route, with a 1-day pass to allow "hopping on" and "hopping off." And we're also considering the Stromma "Beautiful Canal Route" trip (1.5 hours, 20 Euros). Can you comment on this particular trip? Are there other boat trips we should consider?

Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello!

I have once been on one of these boat trips. It is beautiful, however in my opinion if you want to see beautiful islands the Stockholm archipelago is beyond comparison (and all it takes is for you to be on the deck while arriving/departing Stockholm).

Boat trips do not offer you much insight to Helsinki sights. The 3 trams offer you much more, especially if you'd like to see "traditional" sights ;)

Are there ATM's plentiful near where the cruise ships dock? Will be on the Nautica and arriving on June 20, 2012.

Also, thank you again for all of your helpful information!

Hi, your ship docks very near the city centre and there is an ATM in the terminal building and many more along the street that goes to the Market Square. They are orange and called "OTTO".

Hi Sinnppu, I wanted to thank you for your transit advice. I bought an all day ticket and got to all the sites I wanted to see. I did get a little lost but the Finnish people were very helpful, one woman saw me looking at my map and street signs and set me in the right direction right away. Another woman pointed out that I missed my tram stop and the tram driver overheard me ask her where we were and didn't leave till I knew I had to get off.

The bonus of doing it on my own was that no one was at the Sibelius monument when I was there, so I got wonderful pictures (two bus loads from my ship pulled up as I was leaving).

I thought Helsinki was wonderful, if a bit on the expensive side.

Hi Sinnppu, I wanted to thank you for your transit advice. I bought an all day ticket and got to all the sites I wanted to see. I did get a little lost but the Finnish people were very helpful, one woman saw me looking at my map and street signs and set me in the right direction right away. Another woman pointed out that I missed my tram stop and the tram driver overheard me ask her where we were and didn't leave till I knew I had to get off.

The bonus of doing it on my own was that no one was at the Sibelius monument when I was there, so I got wonderful pictures (two bus loads from my ship pulled up as I was leaving).

I thought Helsinki was wonderful, if a bit on the expensive side.

I'm very happy to hear that I could be of assistance. :)

All the Nordic countries are expensive, I'm afraid. But then again it's a pleasant surprise to us to be abroad and find everything so cheap :D

Sinny - I see you're less than a week away until your cruise. You must be getting excited. I hope you had as much help from others on the CC boards planning your trip as you have given all of us. Your willingness to help us plan our day in your home city has been greatly appreciated. We sail in less than 3 weeks and will be standing at the end of Suomenlinna waving to the ferries from Sweden going past. Perhaps you'll be waving back.

Have a great vacation.:D

Lynn ja Juha

Hi everyone!

If you have any questions about Helsinki (and/or Finland), I'll be more than happy to help!

Lived here for 11 years so I consider myself an expert :D

we are doing a tour which ends at 1pm and need to return to ship by 5. Is there enough time to take ferry to Suomenlinna and check it out and then return to downtown and back to ship?

we are doing a tour which ends at 1pm and need to return to ship by 5. Is there enough time to take ferry to Suomenlinna and check it out and then return to downtown and back to ship?

I assume your tour end somewhere in the city centre. You'll have plenty of time. The ferries leave from the Market Square and take 20 minutes to get to Suomenlinna. The island is quite small so you can walk around it and get back in time.