Foster child and documents required?

JdoggCruiser

When we took exchange students which is somewhat different we had to have a notorized letter from their parents and permission from the State department to allow them to leave the country.

You may need permission from the court or the case worker to take the child out of the country. Check with your case worker to find out.

A birth certificate and copies of the court documents that shows he is the guardian of this child. Not sure they will ask for the court documents, but they should and he will have them if they do.

When I took my two teenage foster daughters on a cruise, I took the "placement paperwork" I got when I originally received the girls and a travel authorization required all trips by my agency. The paperwork says that the "jurisdiction" is placing the children in my custody and that I have the right to seek routine medical care for the children. I also took their birth certificates (I paid for them myself through http://www.vitalchek.com because all I had was copies and the social worker couldn't get me the real ones in time). I also of course got permission from the social worker who secured permission from the biological mom.

Depending on the circumstances of the case and why the kids is in care, the bio parent may have the right to give or deny permission (at least in my state).

Since returning from that trip with my foster daughter's I've learned about a "letter" that parents have to get if they aren't traveling with the other parent. I didn't know about that letter and didn't get anything beyond the paperwork I already had in place. I guess we got lucky it wasn't asked for especially since I'm black and the girls are Vietnamese so it was quite obvious I wasn't their bio mom.

I have had foster children in the past, and traveled with them. It would depend on if the parent's rights have been terminated. If they have, the child is a ward of the state, and you would need a letter signed by the social worker and their supervisor, as well as have the original birth certificate and proof that the child has been placed in your custody. If the parent's rights have NOT been terminated, then you have to have a letter signed by the parents, as well as the other stuff listed above. It's really complicated to travel with a foster child, but it is possible and encouraged. However, it is possible to put the child in respite when traveling as well. I guess this all depends on what state you live in, also. I'm in NM. Each state has different policies. My advice would be to talk to your social worker and ask them.

Just to add on...get the permission early for the foster child.

I know in my state, if the child still has visitation with the bio family and reunification is close, travel can be denied if the parent will miss a visit. On the same note, if it's perceived that the bio parent is saying no just to be spiteful a judge can over rule the no. So much goes into these situations, it could really make your head spin.

I am a foster parent in Iowa and would never consider taking a child on a cruise which goes out of the country. I feel fairly confident saying we are not allowed to do such thing. As others have stated, you would definitely need to start looking at permission from the DHS worker, the judge/court AND very probable the parents. Heck, in IA we cannot cut a child's hair without signed parental consent or court order! I personally would make plans to place the little fella in respite. One thing to also consider is that he would likely not have health insurance once leaving state boundaries.

Now, having said all this, I did take my 3yo foster daughter on a drive trip to Disney World from Iowa. Had a signed consent form from her DHS worker. When I went to Europe, she went to respite. (I am now this little girl's forever mommy). There really is so many factors to think about/work thru, and the last thing you want to do is put yourself in legal troubles because of one or more unknown procedures being violated. Courts don't like the idea of taking children out of the country.

We live in California, and have cruised with 2 foster daughters (now fully ours!). When we sailed, the parents had already lost custody of the girls. Therefore, we notified the social worker, who had to get permission from the courts. We brought that paperwork, along with paperwork showing we were their foster parents, and of course their birth certificates. Absolutely no problem with Carnival, everything ran smoothly. It was the best vacation (up to that point) of their lives! They will be on their 4th cruise on April 22nd!

Just to add on...get the permission early for the foster child.

I know in my state, if the child still has visitation with the bio family and reunification is close, travel can be denied if the parent will miss a visit. On the same note, if it's perceived that the bio parent is saying no just to be spiteful a judge can over rule the no. So much goes into these situations, it could really make your head spin.

This was my experience when I worked in CPS. The parents were first asked and had to provide a signed document. If they refused, the judge could still give permission. It would definitely vary by state, and sometimes even from agency to agency with local policies.

• 3 months later...
I am a foster parent in Iowa and would never consider taking a child on a cruise which goes out of the country. I feel fairly confident saying we are not allowed to do such thing.

"Feeling confident" is not the same as knowing the law. Most states follow the same rules, but of course, you should check with your foster agency.

The parents of my foster child refused to provide permission. The Court here in California issued an order permitting the foster child to go on the Mexico cruise.

Start early and don't give up easily.

Here in Quebec (Canada) social worker are dealing with the parents to get the permisson if they are involved. If not, they will maked the letter that give you permisson to go out of the country.

Tell your brother to have this letter or a copy when he get's off the ship.

We took a foster child to disney and when we came back the letter was in the suitecase. and the border patrol said we need the letter to pass.

Like someone said your brother should ask the social worker they are used to this if not they will find the answer.

We live in California, and have cruised with 2 foster daughters (now fully ours!). When we sailed, the parents had already lost custody of the girls. Therefore, we notified the social worker, who had to get permission from the courts. We brought that paperwork, along with paperwork showing we were their foster parents, and of course their birth certificates. Absolutely no problem with Carnival, everything ran smoothly. It was the best vacation (up to that point) of their lives! They will be on their 4th cruise on April 22nd!

You are special people!! Thank God there are people like you who would shower a foster child with such rich experiences to replace their bad memories.

My brother wants to plan a last minute cruise with us and he has a 1 year old foster boy. Does anyone know what he needs for documents? I have a call in to my PVP also.

Assuming the cruise your brother would like to join you on is the upcoming one in April, he should have plenty of time to get paper work resoved. I actually just posted a thread last week about this for myself as I am currently going through the process to become a foster parent and we tend to like to travel quite a bit... so I was curious about this myself.

I live In Canada, so depending where your brother is, laws and process maybe different. But I had someone answer my thread that was an actual CAS worker and has fullfilled many foster requests for travel herself, so i found her information especially valuable!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1671084

Good luck to your brother! And happy and safe trip to all!

I have had foster children and have adopted children. As other posters have commented a foster child is a ward of the state. I couldn't take mine into a neighboring state to visit my mother without written approval of the child's social worker and the court. This always took some time so a last minute cruise is unlikely. We also took one of our foster kids to disney after she returned to her birth father's custody and had to have signed consent of her birth father. I also later paid for her wedding and consider her my daughter but her birth dad had the rights, not me. If your brother is adopting this child and the parents rights have been surrendered he should contact the child's social worker and his adoption attorney. The regulations are state mandated and vary according to your state.

A birth certificate and copies of the court documents that shows he is the guardian of this child. Not sure they will ask for the court documents, but they should and he will have them if they do.

As a foster parent he is not the legal guardian. The state or county is the legal guardian.

Archived