Port shopping in Belize

Love PalmTrees

We have not been to the port shopping area in Belize since 2004. Has it been expanded over last 8 years? When we were last there, it was basically just shops around one circular path and some shops (not many) off of this path with a nice pond/fountain in the center.

Love PalmTrees

Here is a link to the greatest Dream review by a man named Ray. He took pictures of everything. This link will take you to his Belize City pictures - starting with the tenders and then the port. Enjoy.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1550338&page=27 :)

I have been to Belize many times and I could not see the actual tourism village with shops.

We have not been to the port shopping area in Belize since 2004. Has it been expanded over last 8 years? When we were last there, it was basically just shops around one circular path and some shops (not many) off of this path with a nice pond/fountain in the center.

We have been there just about every year. Yes, the shops are configured along the dock but many have been added. There are now actual mall type buildings with many vendors inside. Most sell the same stuff!

I like the Loom, that has lovely items made in Belize with Mayan patterns. I bought a table runner and gifts for friends. There is always the usual jewelry shops-be careful if you buy in some of them. I chose a pair of silver earrings. I should have known better when they took them in the back and when I opened them later, they were cheap knock offs. They have carved wooden items, touristy things, some nice clothing and shops that sell silver (cannot say how real). Some items look more like pewter.

We like to have lunch at the Wet Lizard-it has never failed us. I no longer walk into town as been there, done that.

Thanks so much to all of you for all the great info and link to the review with incredible photos! It does appear that alot of changes and expansion has taken place at the port shopping area. When we were there previously 8 yrs ago we walked around the shopping area in a mere 10 minutes, and that included window shopping and some in-store browsing! Great recommendation for linens. I always like to look at and buy linens. BTW, do they take US dollars? My DH was shorted due to misstated exchange rate when he used his credit card to buy a watch. I caught it as soon as he came back on board ship, but too late to go back. Oh, well..... We still enjoyed Belize. Thanks everyone!!!:)

Archived