Severe food allergy and non-traditional dining

I_heart_vaca

I have a severe shellfish allergy. I know how to deal with this at home and even on land-based vacations, but what should I do on the ship? We have Anytime dining - as there are 8 of us and we don't want to be locked into a dining time, or have a lengthy dining experience each night.

I do have an EpiPen for emergencies (never travel without it) and I wear med-id bracelet (in the event something happens when no family is around). I guess my question is this - are items on buffets marked? If we are in the buffet area can I still talk with a server about items and ingredients? If we go to the Anytime dining rooms do I just mention to the server?

Thanks for all info and experiences you share! I am so looking forward to my first cruise - 5 years in the planning with my family - and want to insure no 'stupid mistakes' screw up our trip (I would love to see the whole ship not just the infirmary!).

I have a severe shellfish allergy. I know how to deal with this at home and even on land-based vacations, but what should I do on the ship? We have Anytime dining - as there are 8 of us and we don't want to be locked into a dining time, or have a lengthy dining experience each night.

I do have an EpiPen for emergencies (never travel without it) and I wear med-id bracelet (in the event something happens when no family is around). I guess my question is this - are items on buffets marked? If we are in the buffet area can I still talk with a server about items and ingredients? If we go to the Anytime dining rooms do I just mention to the server?

Thanks for all info and experiences you share! I am so looking forward to my first cruise - 5 years in the planning with my family - and want to insure no 'stupid mistakes' screw up our trip (I would love to see the whole ship not just the infirmary!).

Send Princess a letter letting them know about your Allergy.

When you board the ship contact the Head Waiter in the dining room. He will make sure that the procedures are followed. When I traveled with some friends of mine that had a food allergy they would bring the next evenings menu over so they could check the ingredients on anything that you might be interested for the next evening. They also would make a special version of some items without the ingredient.

You will probably be advised to avoid the buffet line to avois potential cross contamination.

We have had no problem with having the staff use extreme caution with a shellfish allergy. Just notify the dining staff at the start and make certain that each person who serves you is aware of the situation.

The caution and care used by the staff is quite admirable.

Mary

Your question about the buffet is a good one.

Make sure that you talk to the buffet Head Waiter every day before you choose any food. The regular staff won't know about cross contamination and , as nice as they try to be, often don't really know the ingredients in many dishes.

You will get to know most of the Head Waiters on your cruise as they will be your best contacts!!!! They are wonderful!

Archived