Downtown Restaurant/drinking establishment

mrsfuzzmo

Hi All. We've been to St. Thomas a few times, but usually head over to St. John for the day and spend just a short time in Charlotte Amalie before we have to head to the ship. This year, since we are docked at Crown Bay, we will just go into town (or maybe hit Emerald Bay for a while) then go into town.

My 'gang' likes to eat seafood, preferably at local establishments vs. a chain. We like appetizer types of foods, and plenty of cocktails. I know for sure we are going to spend some time at Big Kahuna's Rum Bar, but looking to see if there are any other similar establishments in town that we should try.

Not looking for fancy or expensive, more of a local "hidden gem" of sorts. We love shrimp, conch, seafood chowders, etc. Any suggestions?

Trenchtown Rock on Back Street. Jamaican food.

Jen's Caribbean Grill in the "Grand Hotel." Excelent conch (just don't get the roti!) She makes conch salad. Maybe chowder, but I think she has a website. She's voted Best Lunch by Fodor's.

Rancho Latino in Vitraco Mall (which is in the way to the little KMart near town).

The Dog House Pub across from Havensight. They have tacos, hamburgers, and other bar food. I think they have a fish taco that people seemed to like.

Mojo's, the "Tiki bar" in Havensight, has great smoked, bbq chicken.

One thing about Jen's, though, is it's small. Sometimes you have to eat in the courtyard, and sometimes you have to wait. I'd try to go well after lunch, I think, say maybe 2 p.m. Her husband is a fisherman, so she has a good source for fresh fish!

If you have a really big group, it could be a problem.

Archived