Should I upgrade and when?

Gemynii

I've seen a lot of threads about upgrading, but they seem to be for people who upgrade instead of getting an OBC after a price drop.

When we go in July, it will be the first cruise for myself, DH and DD. Right now, we are booked ES in an inside room (4C), while the others in our group have ocean view rooms (6C).

All 3 rooms are midship Main deck.

I've been checking the FareViewer a few times daily and have already gotten 2 price drops ($80 total) for our 3 pax 4C, 2 drops ($100 total) for sis's 4 pax 6C and 1 drop ($120) for mom's 2 pax 6C. While I've been doing this, I've noticed that the price for a 3 pax 6C is now only $100 more total than our 4C.

My question is should go ahead and upgrade from the inside to the ocean view? I've heard that it would be a better experience for 1st time cruisers. If I do upgrade, when should I do it? Should I wait to see if the price drops more? Would I still have the ES price guarantee after the upgrade?

We still have a balance left to pay on the cruise and our final payment date is May 14th.

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Yes, you will still be ES under the new, higher category. Myself, I'm happy with the inside, sleep better in the dark and am not in the cabin any more than necessary. Had a little OV once and the windows are dirty on the lower levels.

Yes, you will still be ES under the new, higher category. Myself, I'm happy with the inside, sleep better in the dark and am not in the cabin any more than necessary. Had a little OV once and the windows are dirty on the lower levels.

Thanks for your input. I checked the prices on some higher decks as well. They're not too much more $ but all the 3 pax 6C seem to be either forward or aft. I heard that you feel less motion midship and since I have no idea how my stomach will act once at sea, I thought it best to book a room there. I've never had any motion sickness, but I'd rather play it safe.

Thanks for your input. I checked the prices on some higher decks as well. They're not too much more $ but all the 3 pax 6C seem to be either forward or aft. I heard that you feel less motion midship and since I have no idea how my stomach will act once at sea, I thought it best to book a room there. I've never had any motion sickness, but I'd rather play it safe.

Than perhaps you should stay put

Than perhaps you should stay put

Thanks. I always enjoy hearing everyone's opinions and take them into consideration. I went on a small sailboat when I was younger and had no motion sickness and I've never had any problem with cars, roller coasters, etc. I just don't want to be hugging the toilet on vacation.

I would upgrade from an inside to an oceanview in a heartbeat, espeically for that price. Actually I won't even look at pricing for anything other than a balcony, but that's just me.;)

Thanks. I always enjoy hearing everyone's opinions and take them into consideration. I went on a small sailboat when I was younger and had no motion sickness and I've never had any problem with cars, roller coasters, etc. I just don't want to be hugging the toilet on vacation.

Was the sailboat on a lake or ocean? Yes, midship is best for those who may be prone to motion sickness. Most of the time you'll be fine. Once the ship gets rockin' and rollin' in high seas, which may not happen often, then you'll really know who can or can't take it.

I would upgrade from an inside to an oceanview in a heartbeat, espeically for that price. Actually I won't even look at pricing for anything other than a balcony, but that's just me.;)

Do you think it would be worth it even if the windows were dirty? There would still be the Riviera deck below us, but I don't know how far up the sea spray would go.

I would love to have a balcony, but they're a bit pricey for us (1 income family) especially since the Paradise only has balconies in their grand suites.

Was the sailboat on a lake or ocean? Yes, midship is best for those who may be prone to motion sickness. Most of the time you'll be fine. Once the ship gets rockin' and rollin' in high seas, which may not happen often, then you'll really know who can or can't take it.

We sailed out in Tampa Bay. Not sure if it would actually be classified as a sailboat except that it did have sails.

I guess it was more like a catamaran, but the area where we sat was canvas and net.

Do you think it would be worth it even if the windows were dirty? There would still be the Riviera deck below us, but I don't know how far up the sea spray would go.

I would love to have a balcony, but they're a bit pricey for us (1 income family) especially since the Paradise only has balconies in their grand suites.

Yes, I do.

Didn't realize you were on the Paradise (if its in your signature, I have all signatures turned OFF), not much offered for affordable balconies there, adn the suties are over-rated & over-priced IMO.

Yes, I do.

Didn't realize you were on the Paradise (if its in your signature, I have all signatures turned OFF), not much offered for affordable balconies there, adn the suties are over-rated & over-priced IMO.

Yes, I have one of the countdown timers in my signature. I don't know anything about the interior or ocean view rooms, so I appreciate everyone's opinions and experiences.

Ditto!. I think the OP should definitely look for an upgrade. I have been in an interior and oceanview. The oceanview was okay, but never, never, never again in an interior :eek:. In fact, this cruise, I booked a balcony :D.

Ditto!. I think the OP should definitely look for an upgrade. I have been in an interior and oceanview. The oceanview was okay, but never, never, never again in an interior :eek:. In fact, this cruise, I booked a balcony :D.

What, in your opinion, made the interior room really bad?

I keep hearing about the balcony rooms... if I can talk DH into another cruise after this one, I'll have to book on a ship that has them available in rooms other than the grand suites. We're smokers (yeah, yeah.. I know), so a balcony definitely would have been nice.

We tried an inside cabin once, and hated it. I came close to feeling claustrophobic.:eek: I know most people say you're not really in your cabin that much. But when we are in our cabin, I like to at least have a window to see out of. We prefer a balcony cabin, but if the budget won't allow it, we could get by with an ocean view. Even if it was given to me absolutely free, I'm not sure if I could make myself stay in an inside cabin again. Maybe I could, with some help from Captain Morgan.:rolleyes:

We tried an inside cabin once, and hated it. I came close to feeling claustrophobic.:eek: I know most people say you're not really in your cabin that much. But when we are in our cabin, I like to at least have a window to see out of. We prefer a balcony cabin, but if the budget won't allow it, we could get by with an ocean view. Even if it was given to me absolutely free, I'm not sure if I could make myself stay in an inside cabin again. Maybe I could, with some help from Captain Morgan.:rolleyes:

That's too funny. :D

In the few cruises we've experienced, we started similar to other cruise rookies and chose inside mainly on cost. But believe me, once you've had balcony luxury, I'd never go back......

Privacy, view, natural light, (it even makes the room feel larger),

seeing the early docking and shore activity in your PJ's (which you would never run outside to see),

breakfast on a sunny balcony (either room service or bring back something from the dining room),

quiet time, personal lounge chair,

night views (saw a live volcano at 1AM from balcony which I would never have seen otherwise), (expect to see Alaska whales without the crowed decks), some sheltering and photo opportunities even in wet weather,

wind and sun sheltered space, in room drinks, occasional cigar,swim suit clothes line for drying, etc.

Yes, it's pricier, but my wife is deserving and worth the extra bucks. Either way.....enjoy!:):):)

I want to thank everyone for their advice. I just called and upgraded from the 4C with a trundle to a 6C with an upper. Now, not only will we have a view (if the window is clean enough to see out of :p), but we will have more walking room without the trundle in there. At first I was given a price that was more than what I saw online, but I was able to let them know where I saw the price and they were able to match it. I was lucky to get a very nice CSR. Now, I'm just gonna head over to the Carnival site and pay that $100 difference and it'll be like it wasn't even added on to the balance.

Thanks again everyone. :)

In the few cruises we've experienced, we started similar to other cruise rookies and chose inside mainly on cost. But believe me, once you've had balcony luxury, I'd never go back......

Privacy, view, natural light, (it even makes the room feel larger),

seeing the early docking and shore activity in your PJ's (which you would never run outside to see),

breakfast on a sunny balcony (either room service or bring back something from the dining room),

quiet time, personal lounge chair,

night views (saw a live volcano at 1AM from balcony which I would never have seen otherwise), (expect to see Alaska whales without the crowed decks), some sheltering and photo opportunities even in wet weather,

wind and sun sheltered space, in room drinks, occasional cigar,swim suit clothes line for drying, etc.

Yes, it's pricier, but my wife is deserving and worth the extra bucks. Either way.....enjoy!:):):)

All that sounds VERY nice! Unfortunately, we can't afford the grand suites which are the only rooms with balconies on the Paradise.

I'll definitely keep in in mind for future cruises. I've already told my DH about FCC and suggested that we might want to get one when we cruise in July. :)

Archived