Does anyone know what deck goes around the whole ship that you can use for running?

imfun888

If Princess didn't want people running on the Promenade deck, I doubt Princess would have given support to the first marathon at sea.

9/22/2011

Princess Passenger Runs First-Ever Marathon at Sea to Aid Help for Heroes

Steve Eaton Completes 26-Mile Run Around Grand Princess Promenade Deck.

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na1178

For myself, I have always run on the Promenade Deck of all of the classes of Princess cruise ships. My favorites are the Sapphire, but Dawn, Sea, Island, and Coral are also good. Least favorite are the Grand class.

I just returned from 21 days on the Sapphire. During that time, I didn't see more than 5 runners on the Promenade Deck, which in my opinion is a sad commentary on the fitness level of people who go on cruises.

BTW, there was a sign posted on the Promenade Deck that said three times around equaled 1 mile. I don't think it was accurate.

The only ships which have a decent jogging track are the Ocean and the Pacific.
Princess recently posted the following on their Facebook page - "Well done to passenger Claude Fowlkes who has now run the equivalent of the distance around the equator (24,901.5 miles)! Appropriately, he ran the final mile on the deck of Ocean Princess right as the ship was crossing the equator! Congratulations to Claude (who has been tracking his mileage since 1982) on reaching his goal in style!"

actually, i think the island and coral are the only princess ships with a complete, single-deck walk. Diamond and it's sisters have the complete circle but must use steps up to next deck and back down. I do not know about others.

All that is especially sad to me, who is a lifelong hiker and always tries for a morning walk. Often that is about 2am when i cannot sleep. Sadly, i think the old tradition is dying from ships being more full of cabins [pay-passengers] and shops.

Give me a cruise ship with a good continuous promenade and an all-night buffet and i could sail without concern for itenerary [sometimes].

Doug

sun and dawn princess has both of what you require

On the Golden, you have to go up and down some stairs if doing laps. I'm not into running, but I did the Walk on Deck for the Cure and my hubby and I would walk around in the morning for exercise. For more cardiac exercise, I used the treadmill in the gym.

I believe the sign on the Golden said 2.8 laps equaled a mile, but that was about 15 months ago, so I could be remembering it wrong.

On the Grand Princess there are signs on the promenade deck OVER THE AREA OF THE WINDOW SUITES BELOW, stating that jogging is not permitted before a certain time period. We were in a window suite and were offered a very nice cabin credit later in the cruise after we complained twice about the noise from joggers (before the posted time) Somebody from security was sent up to make them stop. We were told that since the window suites were new, they were experimenting with just posting a sign. If the signs were ignored, eventually, they would be roping off the area.

with smoking no longer allowed in cabins or on balconies, the port side of the Promenade deck has become a smoker's paradise.

However, this gives the true athlete jogger a change to practice holding his/her breath for several hundred feet while jogging past the smokers.

:D

And don't do the fake cough thing while running past them, either. :rolleyes:

On the Grand Princess there are signs on the promenade deck OVER THE AREA OF THE WINDOW SUITES BELOW, stating that jogging is not permitted before a certain time period. We were in a window suite and were offered a very nice cabin credit later in the cruise after we complained twice about the noise from joggers (before the posted time) Somebody from security was sent up to make them stop. We were told that since the window suites were new, they were experimenting with just posting a sign. If the signs were ignored, eventually, they would be roping off the area.

We were in a window suite on the CB. We were never really bothered by the noise of joggers, since the struggling propulsion system was way noisier. I do remember watching the joggers running past the smokers as we breakfasted in Sabatini's and wondering if it ever came to blows. :p

• 2 weeks later...

This was on the Princess Facebook page:

February 23, 2012

Congratulations to our employee Dennis Lebman from our IT department, who ran a marathon aboard Sapphire Princess! Dennis ran the 26.2 miles (78.6 laps!) on the Promenade Deck in memory of a colleague who had recently passed away. His heartfelt mission took 4 hours, 15 minutes and 49 seconds and Dennis hopes to set an even quicker time when he runs the Los Angeles Marathon next month!

sun and dawn princess has both of what you require

We were on the Sea Princess a couple of years ago to Alaska from San Francisco. We had an Emerald deck (which is actually below the Promenade on Sun-class ships) oceanview cabin and there was a gentleman (I use the term loosely) who started his jogging around 5:30ish every morning. We did complain to the Passenger Services desk and they did post a sign, but his jogging continued until one of us got up one morning and told him how rude he was being... he didn't realize it (still not sure why the sign had no effect on him) and we had peace in the morning after that.

Archived