Advice for kid-friendly excursions in Barcelona?

schooly2

We are in Barcelona for 2 days in July. We have 3 kids who love traveling, ages 11, 8 and 6. We are arranging mostly private excursions that are outdoorsy and informal, but there is so much art and architecture in Barcelona, I am not sure what to do. We are looking at a medieval village hiking tour with Spanish Trails one day, and a hot air balloon the next, with time to drive by Sagrada Familia. Am I shorting the kids if we don't go to the Picasso museum, or more in-depth tours of Gaudi and others?

The Med cruises are so much more intense than other cruises we've taken the kids on, I'm afraid they are going to burn out and be miserable travel companions if we aren't careful!

Thanks in advance!

Check out RunnerBean walking Tours. They have a free walking tour especially for kids and families. I'm sure they would keep the kid's interest and you only pay a gratuity - the tour is actually free. Also, I would suggest spending some time on Las Ramblas-it's a fun shopping/food kind of street with a festive atmosphere. You could even stop in at the Fruit Market there - La Boqueria-the kid's may find it interesting to see all the different foods (fruits, veggies, unusual fish and sea food, etc) hanging in the market!! Another suggestion is Park Guell- a really unique park designed by Gaudi with fairy tale like structures. This would be a great way to introduce Gaudi architecture which is so classically Spanish, without boring the kids. They could run around, take a snack and sit and read a bit. Other suggestions are La Sagrada Familia (amazing Gaudi church-easy to appreciate) and perhaps take in a Flamingo show if yo want something entertaining at night. With just 2 days and a busy cruise ahead of you I would pick just a few sights balancing fun with culture-or else they won't remember anything!

We are in Barcelona for 2 days in July. We have 3 kids who love traveling, ages 11, 8 and 6. We are arranging mostly private excursions that are outdoorsy and informal, but there is so much art and architecture in Barcelona, I am not sure what to do. We are looking at a medieval village hiking tour with Spanish Trails one day, and a hot air balloon the next, with time to drive by Sagrada Familia. Am I shorting the kids if we don't go to the Picasso museum, or more in-depth tours of Gaudi and others?

The Med cruises are so much more intense than other cruises we've taken the kids on, I'm afraid they are going to burn out and be miserable travel companions if we aren't careful!

Thanks in advance!

The hot air balloon sounds fun, and the Sagrada Familia deserves more than a drive by, you have to stop! You will not need to go inside (of course going inside you will see more, but you can appreciate the work from the outside). Don't forget there is also walking around at night time, before and after supper - and check out the times to see the Magic Fountains, I am sure the kids will love them, they don't cost anything, just make sure you keep your eye on your bag whilst you are distracted by watching out for the kids and the fountains themselves.

How often do your kids get to the beach? Barcelona gets hot in July, so unless you have chosen a hotel with an outdoor pool, I would have thought that at least one of the afternoons should be spent at the beach (with lunch) - to prevent the burn-out later in the cruise. Whilst the village tour sounds great, I wonder if you would have just as much fun going to Park Guell which would be less structured as you would be going at your own pace - and you are taking in the architecture at the same time. You will have so much to do nearby, it just seems to me to be a shame to be rushing off to something 'organised' rather than starting off slowly at the kids' pace.

I am sure that you will all have a great time whatever you plan to do. I just wish I could join you in that balloon.

Thanks in advance!

Everything is going to seem tame after the hot air balloon ride, but in case it gives you any ideas I made these from my cruise visit last summer :

Gothic Quarter and Columbus Column

La Sagrada Familia

Parc Guell

Entrance is free but there is a charge (about 5 euros) to go into Gaudi's house.

All the best, Tony (very jealous of your balloon ride :D)

You must go to the Las Ramblas and gothic area just to walk around and eat some tapas, great place in a church square in the gothic area where you can sit outside and watch the people go by. The Botegrea market is on Ramblas and it is not to be missed great coffee, chocolate and donuts for a snack and cultural exposure to many varies foods to see for sale

Also beach is great very wide and safe water. BUT be aware that it is very normal for there to be MANY topless girls and women of all ages. Fine for my family but it may embarrass younger children.

Picasso museum is great if you like art. It has many exhibits but is not massive. 2hrs would be fine.

What about a morning up in Monserat? It is about 1hr away

I loved Barcelona. Heading back as part of a cruise in July but mine children are much older 13, 16 and 20. All love art so it is easy.

PLEASE KEEP YOUR HAND ON YOUR BAG AND WALET AND CAMERA AT ALL TIMES. We saw may attempted pick pockets and one successful bag theft from a family. But don't be afraid it is safe but they prey on the unsuspecting tourist. Just keep your wits about you and enjoy.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?egrgy1

Thank you all for the wonderful tips!

I had forgotten about Park Guell, and the gothic quarter. We will scrap the tour to the medieval village in favor of soaking up Barcelona at a slower pace. My daughters birthday is on our second day in port, so we are splurging on the balloon ride.

We live at the beach, which doesn't mean we wouldnt enjoy seeing one in Barcelona, too, but if we can't do it all that might be what we skip.

Thanks for the links, Tony, they are very inspiring!

I haven't looked into the Magic Fountains yet, but just going by the name how could it NOT be something the kids would enjoy?

Wow, this is my first post to cruise critic and I really appreciate the helpful hints!

Stephanie

My 11 yo son has requested to visit Camp Nou, the stadium where FC Barcelona plays. It is his only request for the whole trip so while in Barcelona we will be visiting a soccer stadium. I have heard that it is a very good tour. If you're kids are into soccer you may want to consider that.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived