Amsterdam ocean view cabin

Hi OP, I've cruised twice on the Amsterdam (both 14 day Alaskan itinerary, which by the way is being discontinued after this year:() and both times in an OV, though not on the LP deck. First time we stayed in 7056 on the aft of the Navigation deck. LOVED this cabin! It is on the aft, literally 5 steps out to a "secret" balcony, which your cabin overlooks. Just one flight of stairs up to the aft Lido pool, the SeaView Bar and into the Lido restaurant. Excellent views, particularly for Alaska, and hardly anyone ever out on that aft "secret deck." It was like having a balcony without the balcony price! There are a ton of lounge chairs back there as well as two wooden benches with wondefully warm and cozy deck blankets for your use during those chilly AK sailings. BTW -the sister cabin to the one I am speaking of is 7053, right next door, but the view out your window includes the open stairway up to the Lido deck. Still not a bad deal! The windows have a film over them so you cannot see into the cabin from the "secret" deck, and this holds true for any oceanview cabins on the LP as well.

Our second time in an OV was just last Aug. 5th, and I sailed with my niece and her boyfriend instead of my DH (he was home on puppy duty!:D), so we chose an OV on the aft of the Main Deck - 2707, and it was very nice as well. This time, our cabin was three cabins away from the door out to another "secret" deck on the aft, just one flight up to the LP so you could walk all the way around the ship for even better views. The only negative to the "secret deck" on the Main deck was that the railings were solid ship structure so you had to be standing to see out, whereas the railings on the Navigation deck were open. Would have chosen 7056 (or 7053) again, however both are cabins for 2 people only, and we had 3. Cabin 2707 was very nice as well, and the sofa bed for the third person was very comfortable if you are considering having more than two in your cabin. Actually, 2707 slept 4 people - with the sofa bed plus a drop down bunk from above the one single bed on the right hand side of the cabin.

Good luck in your decision. The OV cabins on the LP may be partially obstructed either by a lifeboat or by the superstructure of the ship itself across the promenade deck. But you will still get plenty of natural light thru your window despite any obstruction, and the glass on the window will have the same film as that in cabin 7056 or 7053 so no one can see in during the day (I'd close my curtains at night though - because I think it would be easier to see "shapes" if nothing else once lights are on inside the cabin). The plus for OV's on the Lower Promenade is that you are steps from the largest "balcony" on the ship - the LP! Can't beat that!

Hope this information helps. Enjoy your sail!

Hi! We have had an OV cabin on the LP deck on the Amsterdam and were not bothered at all by the traffic outside. The windows are heavily tinted and are almost impossible to see into the cabin from the outside in daylight. However, at night, the function just like normal windows. We could not hear walkers outside.

In fact, we have a Cat C cabin on the Lower Prom deck on our forthcoming Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam in a couple of months. This will be our fifth time on the Amsterdam. She is one our most favorite HAL ships.

Hope this helps and that you will have a great cruise! :)

Archived