Wine policy aboard Westerdam

richchap

My wife and I enjoy our wine. I have researched the spirit policies with respect to Holland America but am still a bit confused as to what is allowed onboard with respect to wine. It seems that there is no limit? I was thinking about bringing a couple of bottles apiece on. The policy also seems to indicate that there is a corkage fee of $17 or $18 per bottle IF consumed in a restaurant on board. Does this also mean that there is no corkage charge on the wine if drunk in one's own cabin?

Would appreciate any feed back on the subject.

Thanks.

I am booked on the 3 day Pacific coastal cruise on May 8.

My wife and I enjoy our wine. I have researched the spirit policies with respect to Holland America but am still a bit confused as to what is allowed onboard with respect to wine. It seems that there is no limit? I was thinking about bringing a couple of bottles apiece on. The policy also seems to indicate that there is a corkage fee of $17 or $18 per bottle IF consumed in a restaurant on board. Does this also mean that there is no corkage charge on the wine if drunk in one's own cabin?

Thanks.

richchap, your question should be posted on the regular Holland America board and not on the roll calls but since I just returned from the Westerdam this morning, I will go ahead and answer. We took 17 bottles with us. There is no corkage fee if you drink in your cabin. If you take to the dining room or to a specialty restaurant, you are charged $18 per bottle. We brought along our own corkscrew, which was a good thing as there was not one supplied in our cabin. Also, the cabin steward was very good about cleaning our dirty wine glasses each day.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I were on the Westerdam last year for the panamal canal voyage to Seattle. We also enjoy our wines. We brought our own bottles, I believe 8 bottles total limited by airfare bagage weight. You can just purchase your wine in Ft Lauderdale at Publix or the wine store. I would bring one bottle at a time to vista dining room. I was not charged a corking fee but that might have been because it was a 23 day cruise.

I'll be on this 3-night cruise too, bringing some wine to enjoy in the cabin and also two for my Canadian friends. Last time I left from San Diego, porters took my wine (packed in a wine shipper box, labeled with HAL luggage tags), gave them a tip for their troubles, and saw the box later in my cabin. It was smooth... however, another time there were 3 ships in port and for some reason, no vehicles were allowed, and we had to walk with our luggage and wine a little too far. I'm sure it will be fine on May 8, no more than 2 ships in port, I believe.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll be on this 3-night cruise too, bringing some wine to enjoy in the cabin and also two for my Canadian friends. Last time I left from San Diego, porters took my wine (packed in a wine shipper box, labeled with HAL luggage tags), gave them a tip for their troubles, and saw the box later in my cabin. It was smooth... however, another time there were 3 ships in port and for some reason, no vehicles were allowed, and we had to walk with our luggage and wine a little too far. I'm sure it will be fine on May 8, no more than 2 ships in port, I believe.

There will be 3 ships in port, but hopefully we'll be able to be dropped off close by. Time to get to cabin, and pour a glass of wine for toasting the start of a fun short cruise!

Thanks.

At each port you both can bring a bottle of wine aboard. I always pack a two piece cork screw. Make sure it is in your checked luggage and not your carry on if you are flying.Cork-Screw-Bottle-Opener-with-Safety-Tube-SZ75030.jpg

At each port you both can bring a bottle of wine aboard. I always pack a two piece cork screw. Make sure it is in your checked luggage and not your carry on if you are flying.Cork-Screw-Bottle-Opener-with-Safety-Tube-SZ75030.jpg

Actually, there is not a limit of one bottle per port on HAL from what I understand.

Archived