boxed wine vs r.r. flask

kat923

You did not say what cruise line you are going on-this makes all the difference. Boxed wine will not make it through security if you have it in your carry on.We always put ours in our checked luggage. FYI, a 5 liter box weighs 12 pounds.

This figures into our weight limit.

I'm wondering in the box wine bladder is the same as the rum runner flask bladders? Has anyone gotten box wine thru both airport and cruise security?

Yes, I've gotten Black Box wine on several cruises. It fits well in the Princess refrigerators. Never had a problem with leakage on the plane either. I do put it in a jumbo ziplock bag just in case. We were afraid we wouldn't find wine before boarding in Greece, so we took it as a back up and the box safely transferred in Atlanta and Paris.

Yes, I've gotten Black Box wine on several cruises. It fits well in the Princess refrigerators. Never had a problem with leakage on the plane either. I do put it in a jumbo ziplock bag just in case. We were afraid we wouldn't find wine before boarding in Greece, so we took it as a back up and the box safely transferred in Atlanta and Paris.

I have also taken boxed wine in checked luggage before and had no problem. However, I was thinking of taking a box of wine for my upcoming cruise in French Polynesia, but I just read about customs allowances and it says 2 liters of wine/spirits entering FP. So would I have to declare the 3 or 4 liter box and pay duty? Was that a customs issue going to Greece?

I have also taken boxed wine in checked luggage before and had no problem. However, I was thinking of taking a box of wine for my upcoming cruise in French Polynesia, but I just read about customs allowances and it says 2 liters of wine/spirits entering FP. So would I have to declare the 3 or 4 liter box and pay duty? Was that a customs issue going to Greece?

Hi Bloomcruisers,

We didn't declare anything going into Greece. Maybe that was an oversight on our part, but we breezed through customs. I think Greece is just happy to get tourists! :rolleyes::)

If that customs allowance is for 2 Liters per person, you should still be fine if there are two of you. There may be others that can give you more specific information about FP. I haven't been there yet, but it's on my "bucket list"!

Have a great cruise!:D

Hi Bloomcruisers,

We didn't declare anything going into Greece. Maybe that was an oversight on our part, but we breezed through customs. I think Greece is just happy to get tourists! :rolleyes::)

If that customs allowance is for 2 Liters per person, you should still be fine if there are two of you. There may be others that can give you more specific information about FP. I haven't been there yet, but it's on my "bucket list"!

Have a great cruise!:D

Thanks. It's been on our list for a while and I'm sure we'll have a great trip even if we have to leave our wine at home. And there are 2 of us so I'll see if anyone else has more experience with the situation. Until I saw someone else make reference to allowances into other countries, I never even thought about customs for outgoing travel. I guess I've never taken regulated/declarable items on land-based overseas vacations since so much of the fun of foreign travel is trying out the local favorites.

This is the first time we are cruising from a foreign port and will have to go through customs there pre-cruise. We do like to have some wine for use in our room and don't even have to smuggle onboard since Oceania allows you to bring whatever you want. The trick for us is getting it legally into Tahiti from the US. Tahiti is not known for quality, reasonably priced wines or spirits; otherwise we'd just plan on getting something there.

Archived