From Kiel Port to Lubeck On Our Own. How?

Husband and I are doing a Baltic cruise with Holland America. We will be docked at the Kiel port on July 22 from 8 AM to 6 PM. We are interested in going to Lubeck on our own. Does anyone have some tips as to how to go about doing this? Is Lubeck worth seeing instead of Hamburg? Thanks!

Husband and I are doing a Baltic cruise with Holland America. We will be docked at the Kiel port on July 22 from 8 AM to 6 PM. We are interested in going to Lubeck on our own. Does anyone have some tips as to how to go about doing this? Is Lubeck worth seeing instead of Hamburg? Thanks!

Hi, I answered this question on my thread 'Live in Warnemunde etc....' a while back but here it is again.

It depends on what you want to see really but I would suggest Lübeck. I love Hamburg but it is really just another big city, nice to explore if you actually dock there or want to visit something specific like the Miniature Railway. There is a Lübeck page on my blog, just ignore the 'how to get there from Warnemunde' instructions. It is easier from Kiel anyway. Directions from the station into town are the same.

Trains to Lübeck - an hourly RE service (8:44 etc) which takes 1hr:08mins or an hourly RB service (8:04 etc) which takes 20 mins longer. Return trains - RE 14:06 etc, RB 14.28etc.

Trains to Hamburg - an hourly RE service (8:21 etc) which takes 1hr:19mins. Return trains - RE 14.20etc.

The ticket detailed below is valid on all these trains. You can buy on line (for details see the 'how to' page on my blog, just change the ticket name, departure point and destination to suit) from a ticket machine, ticket office or on the train.

Hamburg, Schleswig-Holstein-Ticket

This ticket is valid from Monday to Sunday for one day of your choice from 9 a.m. until 3 a.m. of the following day on Saturday, Sundays and bank holidays from 0 until 3 a.m the following day. It can be used on all local trains (Regional-Express, Regionalbahn, S-Bahn) in Schleswig-Holstein and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Besides it can be used on the transport systems in Hamburger Verkehrsverbund (HVV) zone A and B.

The price is 26 euros for one person plus 3 euros for each additional person up to 5 travelling together.

The Quay where the cruise ships usually dock in Kiel is about 10 mins walk from the rail station

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Trains to Lübeck - an hourly RE service (8:44 etc) which takes 1hr:08mins or an hourly RB service (8:04 etc) which takes 20 mins longer. Return trains - RE 14:06 etc, RB 14.28etc.

Thanks Rostock for your response to my inquiry. I assume the train info above (taken from your response) is the train schedule from Warnemunde to Lubeck. In any case, it helps me see that going to Lubeck from Warnemunde is very easy to do. Looking forward to the visit!

Thanks Rostock for your response to my inquiry. I assume the train info above (taken from your response) is the train schedule from Warnemunde to Lubeck. In any case, it helps me see that going to Lubeck from Warnemunde is very easy to do. Looking forward to the visit!

Hi, the train times quoted are from KIEL to LÜBECK.

It is much quicker to go to Lübeck from Kiel rather than from Warnemünde and easier too as the train is direct, from Warnemünde you must change trains twice.

Happy cruising :),

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

We are stopping at keil at the beginning of our cruise and Warnemunde on the way back. I hope to use the train to Lubeck form Keil ( and to Rostock from Warnemunde). I am trying to sort our how much money to convert to Euro's, Kroners etc. Can you give me a guide to train price to Lubeck also cost of coffee's beers snacks etc in Germany. I thought we might try and do the Ferry service from Warnemunde to Rostock and train back. We are in Warnemunde on a Sunday and wondered if the transport service is different on that day and how much would be open - guided walks etc. Any help please.

We are stopping at keil at the beginning of our cruise and Warnemunde on the way back. I hope to use the train to Lubeck form Keil ( and to Rostock from Warnemunde). I am trying to sort our how much money to convert to Euro's, Kroners etc. Can you give me a guide to train price to Lubeck also cost of coffee's beers snacks etc in Germany. I thought we might try and do the Ferry service from Warnemunde to Rostock and train back. We are in Warnemunde on a Sunday and wondered if the transport service is different on that day and how much would be open - guided walks etc. Any help please.

Hi, Both Kiel and Lübeck are in the State of Schleswig-Holstein so the most cost effective ticket is the

Hamburg, Schleswig-Holstein-Ticket

This ticket is valid from Monday to Sunday for one day of your choice from 9 a.m. until 3 a.m. of the following day on Saturday, Sundays and bank holidays from 0 until 3 a.m the following day. It can be used on all local trains (Regional-Express, Regionalbahn, S-Bahn) in Schleswig-Holstein and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Besides it can be used on the transport systems in Hamburger Verkehrsverbund (HVV) zone A and B.

The price is 26 euros for one person plus 3 euros for each additional person up to 5 travelling together. It can be purchased on-line, from a machine, from a ticket office (small extra cost) or from the ticket inspector on the train.

It is difficult to give prices for coffee snacks etc as they vary from town to town and cafe to cafe. I usually eat at bakeries and pay around 6 euros for a large bread roll with meat and salad filling (does me for lunch) and a cup of coffee/tea/chocolate or around 4-5 euros for coffee and cake. Sorry but I have no idea of the price of beer at a bar, maybe someone else can help there.

I presume by 'Ferry service' you mean the private tour boat which operates sightseeing tours from Warnemünde up to Rostock and back. You can use it one way but it gets very crowded on Sundays as the main users are German day tourists who want to do the whole 90min sightseeing round trip. You may have to queue for a while.

The tranport service between Warnemünde and Rostock is the same 7 days a week. In Germany shops in general are closed on Sundays but holiday places likeWarnemünde have special dispensation and everything is open. Although the shops are closed in Rostock tourist attractions, museums etc. restaurants and cafes usually open from 10am to 6pm. The Historical Society offers a guided walk in English most days depending on the availability of an English speaking guide. It starts from the Kropeliner Tor at 11am, last about 1 hour and the cost is 5 euros pp.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

If the Schleswig-Holstein Ticket doesn't start until 9 a.m., I'm assuming we would have to wait and take the 9:04 train to Lubeck. Do you have to wait until 9:00 to purchase the ticket, or just travel after 9:00? If you have to wait until 9:00 to purchase, would we be able to catch the 9:04 train? If we wanted to take the 8:44 that is the faster train, do you know how much a regular fare would be. If it's a big difference we'll just wait until the 9:04 as there are 4 of us.

Thanks.

Lynn

If the Schleswig-Holstein Ticket doesn't start until 9 a.m., I'm assuming we would have to wait and take the 9:04 train to Lubeck. Do you have to wait until 9:00 to purchase the ticket, or just travel after 9:00? If you have to wait until 9:00 to purchase, would we be able to catch the 9:04 train? If we wanted to take the 8:44 that is the faster train, do you know how much a regular fare would be. If it's a big difference we'll just wait until the 9:04 as there are 4 of us.

Thanks.

Lynn

Hi Lynn, you said in the original post that you were docking on 22nd July which is a Sunday. The 9am restriction does not apply on Sundays,

'This ticket is valid from Monday to Sunday for one day of your choice from 9 a.m. until 3 a.m. of the following day on Saturday, Sundays and bank holidays from 0 until 3 a.m the following day.'

(copy and paste from the DB website, a bit confusing but obviously punctuation was not the translators strong point! )

The Sunday timetable is exactly the same as a weekday.

You can buy the ticket at any time on-line, from a machine, from a ticket office or from the ticket inspector on the train (slight extra charge)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Lynn, you said in the original post that you were docking on 22nd July which is a Sunday. The 9am restriction does not apply on Sundays,

'This ticket is valid from Monday to Sunday for one day of your choice from 9 a.m. until 3 a.m. of the following day on Saturday, Sundays and bank holidays from 0 until 3 a.m the following day.'

(copy and paste from the DB website, a bit confusing but obviously punctuation was not the translators strong point! )

The Sunday timetable is exactly the same as a weekday.

You can buy the ticket at any time on-line, from a machine, from a ticket office or from the ticket inspector on the train (slight extra charge)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

It must be someone else who's there on Sunday...we're there on Tuesday, July 3rd. Do you know how much a regular fare would be if we wanted to take an earlier than 9:00 train? At least it's good to know we can purchase the ticket ahead of 9:00.

Lynn

It must be someone else who's there on Sunday...we're there on Tuesday, July 3rd. Do you know how much a regular fare would be if we wanted to take an earlier than 9:00 train? At least it's good to know we can purchase the ticket ahead of 9:00.

Lynn

Hi Lynn, Please accept my apologies! I have been answering exactly the same question in two places and got you mixed up.:o:o:o

Kiel Lubeck is not a journey I have ever done and DB seem to be very secretive about the fare you ask for but judging by the time taken for the journey I would guess around 20euros pp so the Lander ticket is a huge saving. This is usually the case for any but a strictly local journey.

Once again, sorry for the mix up.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Anni....no need to apologize...it's so kind of you to answer all of our questions and help us get the most of our short time in your area. Wow...that is a big difference in price, so we'll definitely be waiting until the S-H ticket time.:)

Thanks again.

Lynn

• 2 weeks later...

@rostocker:

and what about the public transport from warnemünde/rostock to kiel :confused:

unfortunately we stop with the SUN in warnemünde and not in kiel, where the "kieler woche" (sailing competition) will be :mad:

greetings from austria

chipsy57

@rostocker:

and what about the public transport from warnemünde/rostock to kiel :confused:

unfortunately we stop with the SUN in warnemünde and not in kiel, where the "kieler woche" (sailing competition) will be :mad:

greetings from austria

chipsy57

Hi, I take it that you are on the Sun arriving 19th June, 7:30 - 22:00.

Sorry to disappoint you but to get from Warnemunde to Kiel you would need to take the 8:22 arriving in Kiel at 12:15 with changes in Bad Kleinen and Lubeck, just over 3 hours travel time.

In order to arrive back in time for sailing at 22:00 you would need to catch the 15:44 from Kiel arriving Warnemunde at 19:21.

The next departure from Kiel does not arrive in Warnemunde until 21:24 and presumably boarding time would be 21:00.

Anni

We are going to be in Kiel on Monday July 23rd and I want to make sure I understand correctly, which train to take to Lubeck

If I use the Schleswig-HolsteinTicket I will need to wait until 9:04 and take the RB train because the RE train leaves before 9:00.

But, coming back I can use either train.

Thanks for all your help!!

We are going to be in Kiel on Monday July 23rd and I want to make sure I understand correctly, which train to take to Lubeck

If I use the Schleswig-HolsteinTicket I will need to wait until 9:04 and take the RB train because the RE train leaves before 9:00.

But, coming back I can use either train.

Thanks for all your help!!

Hi, thank you for your appreciation.

You are absolutely right but there is a way to take the earlier train if you wish.

Buy the Schleswig-Holstein ticket plus a single ticket each from Kiel to Plön @ €6.30. The 8:44 RE arrives in Plön at 9:13 so the single ticket takes you past the 9:00 limit and then the Schleswig-Holstein ticket covers the rest of the journey to Lübeck. No need to get off the train, just show both tickets to the ticket inspector.

You can catch any train back.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thanks so much Anni!

I think we will wait and take the 9:04 train. We arrive at 8:00, so that will give us plenty of time in the morning to eat, get to the train station and purchase our tickets without rushing! We have plenty of time, as our ship is docked until 6:00.

When we purchase our Schleswig-Holstein ticket, do we need to go a window/person if using a CC card, or can we use a machine? (we do not have a CC with a chip)

Thanks so much Anni!

I think we will wait and take the 9:04 train. We arrive at 8:00, so that will give us plenty of time in the morning to eat, get to the train station and purchase our tickets without rushing! We have plenty of time, as our ship is docked until 6:00.

When we purchase our Schleswig-Holstein ticket, do we need to go a window/person if using a CC card, or can we use a machine? (we do not have a CC with a chip)

Hi, In general ticket machines on train/bus stations in Germany only take cards which have a chip and a four digit pin number.

There will be a ticket office on the station or you could buy on-line before you leave home. There is a 'how to' page on my web site. Just substitute the departure/destination stations in step 4 and the ticket name in step 6. It will save you a lot of time.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

• 3 months later...

Thank you so much Anni for all your helpful hints and instructions. We are planning to go to Lubeck from Kiel catching the 9.04 train using the Schleswig-Holstein ticket (following your great advice!). Do you know whether there is a 'Seniors' concessionary fare available too?

• 6 months later...

There are 4 of us, 2 adults, 2 teenagers age 17 & 15, we will be in Kiel on Sunday 10am to 6pm and we are planning to goto Lubeck for the day, once we arrive at the Kiel cruise terminal, can we take the public bus to the central station and cost? We will buy the Hamburg, Schleswig-Holstein-Ticket, knowing it is 27euro +3 each additional, so that would be 36 euro, is this correct? Can we buy these tickets with the bus driver in Kiel on our way to the train station so that will save time? Or we have to buy in the central station machine or ticket office. We will carry both cash euro and pin credit card.

How many Km if we walk from the Kiel cruise terminal to the Central station and if I want to measure in google map and what is the address to and from called?

Many thanks in advance.

Can I take a RB train on the Schleswig-Holstein ticket or must I use RE. The 0904 to Lubeck is a RB. From previous comments I thought RE was only choice but on DB website it says all local trains... Is the RB a local train? It makes more stops than the RE.

Thanks

There are 4 of us, 2 adults, 2 teenagers age 17 & 15, we will be in Kiel on Sunday 10am to 6pm and we are planning to goto Lubeck for the day, once we arrive at the Kiel cruise terminal, can we take the public bus to the central station and cost? We will buy the Hamburg, Schleswig-Holstein-Ticket, knowing it is 27euro +3 each additional, so that would be 36 euro, is this correct? Can we buy these tickets with the bus driver in Kiel on our way to the train station so that will save time? Or we have to buy in the central station machine or ticket office. We will carry both cash euro and pin credit card.

How many Km if we walk from the Kiel cruise terminal to the Central station and if I want to measure in google map and what is the address to and from called?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi, There is a bus stop right at the Cruise Terminal with buses every few minutes to the main Station. I do not know the cost but the ride is only 6 mins so it will not be much.

You can buy the Hamburg Schleswig Holstein ticket on-line, at a machine in the station or from the ticket office but as far as I know it is not possible on the bus. You have the price correct. Buying on-line before you leave home saves time on the day, there is a 'How-to buy tickets on-line' page on my web site. The ticket machines accept cash, debit card with PIN or credit card with chip and PIN but using cash makes the process much easier. Be aware that if you buy from the ticket office it will cost an extra 2euros.

I am afraid that I do not know the distance but the correct addresses are Ostseekai and Kiel Hauptbahnhof or Kiel Hbf.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Can I take a RB train on the Schleswig-Holstein ticket or must I use RE. The 0904 to Lubeck is a RB. From previous comments I thought RE was only choice but on DB website it says all local trains... Is the RB a local train? It makes more stops than the RE.

Thanks

Hi, RB (Regional Bahn) trains are OK for the Schleswig Holstein ticket. They are, as you say, the local stopping trains which along with the RE (Regional Express) trains make up the DB regional system of RED trains as opposed to the GREY long distance trains on which the ticket is not valid.

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Archived