type 1 infant life jacket

BLUEYES6479

I've recently searched and haven't been able to find a type I for children under 33 pounds. The USCG (link below) says to use a type II with infants (using the example of a 7 month old), so perhaps no one makes type I for infants. Just in case, in your shoes I'd call a marine and boating supply store and ask if they can special order you one. They should know if they exist.

It seems odd though: if there are no type I's for infants, what kind do they have on the ship? They do have infant life vests. On our NCL cruise with our 15 month old, it was gown-like rather than a vest, and I assume it was type I.

USCG: PFD Selection, Use, Wear & Care

Be sure to choose one with a head float and webbing handle attached to the head float. Also, test it out in a pool to make sure it fits properly and baby's head stays out of water.

Shucks, never even occurred to me to bring one :eek:. Do the cruise lines typically provide for one? Do you have to request an infant one from the steward upon embarkation? We are cruising w/Princess.

If there isn't one in your cabin when you embark, ask the steward to get you one. You may have to ask more than once. ;)

The only reason you'd want your own is for use on excursions or perhaps tenders. You cannot take the one from your cabin. I felt more comfortable having our own life jacket on tenders, just for my peace of mind. Not that tenders are unsafe - they're not! But I'm a worrier. The tenders did have child-sized life jackets, but I never saw any baby or toddler sized ones.

If there isn't one in your cabin when you embark, ask the steward to get you one. You may have to ask more than once. ;)

The only reason you'd want your own is for use on excursions or perhaps tenders. You cannot take the one from your cabin. I felt more comfortable having our own life jacket on tenders, just for my peace of mind. Not that tenders are unsafe - they're not! But I'm a worrier. The tenders did have child-sized life jackets, but I never saw any baby or toddler sized ones.

Thanks - that's a very good point. We'll be tendering at least once at our ports so would be peace of mind to have.

That is so cute! Totally will have to take a pic like that on our upcoming cruise! :)

We bought an infant life vest at Costco that kept the head above water. We wanted it for shore excursions. Of course, we didn't end up using it very much and it's a little bulky to travel with... but better safe than sorry, I suppose... :)

We have a type 2 for infants under 30 lbs, so I think we are just going to stick with that. I found only one type 1 through my online research, and it was $80. I know with Carnival we won't be able to take the one in the cabin off the ship. We will only use ours for the tenders.

Thanks!

Archived