Cafe al Bacio questions --

pens429

How much do they charge for gelato? Is it worth it?

I want to say it was between $4-6 dollars depending on what you got. Although I'm pretty sure some stuff was more expensive. Not really remembering the price aside, I can say we ate some every day when we came back from our shore excursions. I tried a variety of the flavors and found the fruit ones to be the best. By the third day the girl working the counter knew us and asked us about what we had done that day. :)

I'm sure the espresso varies from ship to ship, and anyone that knows espresso knows it will certainly vary based on grind and tamp. On the Summit 3/24 sailing the folks had no idea what tamping was and surely didn't adjust the grind. I was underwhelmed by the quality of the espresso <snip>

I quite agree, and it can vary from (I use the term loosely) barista to barista. On our Equinox cruise, the best espresso or Americano was at the Sunset Bar, and it was only one bartender out of the three that got it just right. My one cup from the Cafe was, as you say, underwhelming.

When you said you got a coffee to go does that mean that they have the paper cups and lids that you get in regular coffee shops?

I have been thinking about taking a travel coffee mug with me so that I could take one back to the room without spilling it but if they do serve it in regular take away cups I wouldn't bother.

Thanks for your reply.

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this up for a silly question. I am addicted to chai (tea) lattes - I don't drink coffee/espresso. Does anyone know if Cafe Baci can make a chai latte? I mean, all I really need is some hot tea and some hot milk...

Thanks!

One way to get gelato with your drink package is to order an "Affogato," at Cafe al Bacio. It's a scoop of gelato topped off with a shot of espresso. They are really good!

What a wonderful suggestion. We call it I-forgot-o because we couldn't remember the name. I make it at home, but never had it at Cafe al Bacio. I'm going to try this because I love affogato.

Thanks,

Archived