Titanic - with len goodman

snoozy

Consider yourself fortunate, we in the UK are being blasted with it from all angles. memorial services from around the country. I want my licence fee reduced. Total obsession

I agree, TV overkill.

Esp. that 4 part "Drownton Abbey" rubbish.

And the concert... and the services...

However...

Two nights ago I watched the 1953 "Titanic" on DVD :o .

Last night I watched the 1958 "A Night to Remember" on DVD :o :o .

And tonight I went to the Cinema to see the 1997 "Titanic" in 3D :o :o :o ...

I must get a life.

At least I won't be here for the 200th Anniversary...

Also (and like some other versions), this film depicts the dreadful fact that the Steerage passengers were deliberately trapped behind steel gates and refused entry until the First and Second passengers had filled the lifeboats. That was quite savage and shocking, although I'm not sure if this depiction was exaggerated or accurate.

The gates leading from third class to the poop deck at the stern of the ship were always locked at 10pm. As far as I know, nobody deliberately kept the steerage passengers below deck during the sinking itself.

I can imagine that they were forgotten at first as crew tried to organise everything for the first and second class passengers up on deck.

With regards to showing second class, I find photos showing the cabins and pub

If rooms quite nice. They actually look just as grand as first class on Mauretania and Lusitania. They even had their own elevator.

The gates leading from third class to the poop deck at the stern of the ship were always locked at 10pm. As far as I know, nobody deliberately kept the steerage passengers below deck during the sinking itself.

I can imagine that they were forgotten at first as crew tried to organise everything for the first and second class passengers up on deck.

Well, that film and others show crew telling them they have to stay behind the gates and they are pushing them back, even though they are desperately trying to get out while the ship is listing severely. Perhaps this is an overdramatization, I don't know. I should do some research on the subject.

Well, that film and others show crew telling them they have to stay behind the gates and they are pushing them back, even though they are desperately trying to get out while the ship is listing severely. Perhaps this is an overdramatization, I don't know. I should do some research on the subject.

The purpose of any historical film is entertainment first, accuracy second (or not even at all). The whole deliberately locking steerage men and women below decks is drama at its finest - it provides tension and evokes strong emotions in the audience.

None of the steerage passengers who survived have stated they we deliberately locked below. As far as I know the main gates were locked but this was normal. However, some of the secondary passageways were open and this is how a few escaped up on deck.

I believe the main gate was unlocked at some point, but by the time the relevant crew member with the right keys were found quite a few boats had been launched.

The purpose of any historical film is entertainment first, accuracy second (or not even at all). The whole deliberately locking steerage men and women below decks is drama at its finest - it provides tension and evokes strong emotions in the audience.

None of the steerage passengers who survived have stated they we deliberately locked below. As far as I know the main gates were locked but this was normal. However, some of the secondary passageways were open and this is how a few escaped up on deck.

I believe the main gate was unlocked at some point, but by the time the relevant crew member with the right keys were found quite a few boats had been launched.

Well, I'm very glad to hear that.

Goodman is a nobody, just a Z-list celebrity. A cobbled together programme!

But he's old and has an accent. That gives him a certain amount of credibility about a 100 year old British registered ship. (not!)

I remember years ago the trailer for the movie Robin Hood-Men in Tights had Cary Elwes stating that “unlike other Robin Hoods, I have a British accent.”

after seeing len at the bottom of the dry dock and titanic toiurs annoucing you could go to the bottom i booked a tour only to be told it has not been cleared by health and safety funny len had special access if i had known this iu would not have bothered. the walking tours also are not clear when you pick them up as i crashed the cruise tour by mistake

dave

I thought probably the best programme about the Titanic was the two hour long "Saving the Titanic" shown on Channel 4 late afternoon last Sunday. A one-off dramatised documentary about the sinking of the ship from the point of view of the engine crew who risked their own lives in order to help save endangered passengers.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/saving-the-titanic/episode-guide/series-1/episode-1

Archived