First time in Cayman

murph1031

I'm sailing on the Carnival Paradise in July and will be stopping in Grand Cayman. I was hoping someone has done some the following excursions. Party is myself, wife and two boys, 14 and 16.

First option. Both are Carnival tours.

"Explore Cayman by Land and Seas"

On this we do the Nautilus Semi-Sub, Turtle farm and Hell, with a few quick stops elsewhere.

Second option.

"Stingray Sandbar, Hell and Turtle Farm Expereince"

Stops pretty much in Description.

I have heard mixed reveiws about Hell, but we have have our mind up to hit Hell, so Hell it is.

Any input would be great.

Thanks

Murph

I'm sailing on the Carnival Paradise in July and will be stopping in Grand Cayman. I was hoping someone has done some the following excursions. Party is myself, wife and two boys, 14 and 16.

First option. Both are Carnival tours.

"Explore Cayman by Land and Seas"

On this we do the Nautilus Semi-Sub, Turtle farm and Hell, with a few quick stops elsewhere.

Second option.

"Stingray Sandbar, Hell and Turtle Farm Expereince"

Stops pretty much in Description.

I have heard mixed reveiws about Hell, but we have have our mind up to hit Hell, so Hell it is.

Any input would be great.

Thanks

Murph

Have been to Turtle Farm, Stingray, and Hell and all are good. (Hell is just an interesting place because of the local landscape and the name - but you can get postcards from Hell, etc.) The Stingray encounter is very good as you get quite a bit of interaction with the stingrays in shallow water. The turtle farm has a lot of pretty interesting tanks and is hands on as well. Not sure of your preference or style in sightseeing, but (unless there are Carnival contracted restrictions), all of the areas mentioned (except probably the Nautilus sub) are able to be arranged and seen independantly. The last time we were there we rented a car and did the sight seeing on our own with stops at the Turtle Farm and Hell. One time before we arranged the stingray tour independantly as well. Usually less expensive - but mostly a matter of preference. GC is a good island to be independant on if that is to your liking. Either way, you will enjoy it and I guess my recommendation would be the Stingray / Turtle Farm / Hell option based on my preferences and experience.

Our ship will be the only one when it docks in GC. You recommend getting the tours on the spot? I'm interested in the turtle farm, stingray sandbags and hell. Is it a good tour for an almost 3 year old?

Don't book anything on board unless you want to get ripped off.

Carnival were charging $95 for trips you can get at the terminal for $35.

Nautilus is great fun as is Stingray City (if the weather is good), the land tours can be entertaining if you get a good guide and some of the taxi drivers will do this for you.

You should be able to advance book Nautilus through their website and I would contact Dexter's Fantasea Tours for Stingray City - unlike most other operators Dexter will not run trips when conditions in North Sound are dangerous.

Our ship will be the only one when it docks in GC. You recommend getting the tours on the spot? I'm interested in the turtle farm, stingray sandbags and hell. Is it a good tour for an almost 3 year old?

The turtle farm is pay at the entrance. Hell requires no payment or pre-arranging - just have to get there. Check on line for tour operators for Stingray City - probably can be arranged in advance.

The stingray's are awesome, your kids are gonna love it. For a teenager, Hell is as boring as Hell. As soon as you get off the ship, find a stingray excursion. If the sign says $35 offer them $20. You can really save on tours in Grand Cayman. But, the Stingrays for your kids is a can't miss experience. Don't know anything about the sub, Turtle Farm is 'neat' I guess. You'll have loads of choices at the dock.

Archived