Why can't I book this b2b?

truchattycathy

The Conquest leaves New Orleans on Nov 2013 and sails to San Juan, and then to Miami. I want to sail from New Orleans to San Juan, then stay on the ship and sail to Miami. Carnival will not let me book a back to back. Anyone know why?

Did you ask why? One possible reason, it's against the law to

embark in one US port and disembark in another without

going to a distant foreign port. San Juan is not a distant

foreign port.

I do believe it has to do with the Jones Act. It would be considered point to point travel between 2 US ports. In your case, Starting in New Orleans and ending in Miami. For the Jones Act to not apply in your situation, you would need to book a back to back cruise that started and ended in the same US port.

Part of the Jones Act (The Jones-Shafroth Act) known as the Passenger Vessel Act (PSA) of 1886 (46 U.S.C. 289) states that “no foreign vessel shall transport passengers between ports or places in the United States, under penalty of $200 for each passenger so transported or landed.”

I hope this helps:)

But I am allowed to disembark in San Juan? And I will have been to four other foreign ports.

I recommend doing a search on CC for PVSA - lots of threads explaining it.

San Juan and the USVI are exempt from the one way passage between two US Ports. However, you cannot go from NO to Miami on the same ship without visiting a distant foreign port or one of the ABC islands. IMO Carnival should have included one of the ABCs in one of the itins. But they didn't.

Did you ask why? One possible reason, it's against the law to

embark in one US port and disembark in another without

going to a distant foreign port. San Juan is not a distant

foreign port.

There's your answer.

I called and tried to book this trip yesterday and that is indeed what the Rep told me "Jones Act" she read it off her screen said there was a pop-up when she went to book the 2nd leg. I was like AWWWWWWW I knew that itinerary was too good to be true for that price, LOL

I booked Liberty B2B instead for a month earlier!!

Archived