Best cruise line to Bermuda

NovCruisin

(jumps up, waves arms, attempts to diffuse pointless argument and pull conversation back on track)

As has been said above, this is everyone's opinion based on their personal experiences. I'll try to keep mine very brief, and hope it's helpful.

I cruised on Celebrity to Bermuda, docking in Hamilton and St. George, many times in the 90s and early 2000s. After a ten-year hiatus from cruising, I returned to Bermuda a couple of years ago on HAL, on the Veendam, largely because it was docking at the same locations. Though I had been to the island in the interim and knew how it had changed, I was jarred by the difference between my earlier cruise experiences and that one. Some specific things I wasn't nutty about included the quality of the food on HAL, and the fact that I had trouble finding public space in which my family and I wanted to relax that was open and serving drinks after 11pm. I also found the process of tendering in to St. George more restrictive than I expected, and the Hamilton dock not as convenient as it could have been. Again, this is stuff that bothered me, based on my previous experiences.

Last year I returned to Celebrity, wondering if I would find it very different from my memories of many years back. However, I was delighted to discover that the food, staff, and especially the service were as wonderful as ever. Plenty to do later at night when we wanted to, too. Public transportation being what it is in Bermuda, docking just at King's Wharf doesn't bother me in the slightest. I make a point of getting to Hamilton for a morning to walk around, or ferrying over to catch a bus to the other end of the island, and don't find it troublesome at all. Seeing the island from the water on the ferry is actually quite lovely. Plenty going on at Dockyard, too, with easy access to water sports and a beautiful section of the Railway Trail on which you can bring rented mopeds or bicycles. (This is just a sampling of what I like to do -- there's lots of other stuff!)

I can't know what the future holds, so I'd never say "never," but I can't imagine why I would sail anyone but Celebrity to Bermuda in the future.

I also sailed HAL in 2010 and have the video to prove it........no night life. All my previous visits were via plane. If I were to do it again (cruise) give me the ship that stays awake 24/7 with food around the clock. We couldn't even get room service on HAL at night. The wait was over 45 min. I almost raided the kitchen................choose what suits your needs and pleasures

First of all it hasn't been "more than a decade" since I've been to Bermuda.

I have vacationed twice in the last 3 yrs in Bermuda. Imagine that? One can fly there too.

One time I stayed at the Hamilton Princess which was great. There's so much going on in Hamilton...restaurants, clubs, museums, parks etc. Who cares about department stores? I don't.

The second time I stayed at Elbow Beach which was also very nice, great beach but I prefer being in Hamilton.

I live 40 minutes from the cruise ship terminal in Boston...yet I still choose to drive 3+hrs to NYC to sail on the Veendam...for all the reasons I listed above.

Having spent 14 days on land in Bermuda in the last 3 yrs (the most recent last June 2011) I'd say I'm qualified to offer my opinion.

The one thing that bothers me about this site is people like you who don't feel anybody else is qualified to offer an opinion, especially if it differs from yours.

It gets old.

Hear hear.

(jumps up, waves arms, attempts to diffuse pointless argument and pull conversation back on track)

As has been said above, this is everyone's opinion based on their personal experiences. I'll try to keep mine very brief, and hope it's helpful.

I cruised on Celebrity to Bermuda, docking in Hamilton and St. George, many times in the 90s and early 2000s. After a ten-year hiatus from cruising, I returned to Bermuda a couple of years ago on HAL, on the Veendam, largely because it was docking at the same locations. Though I had been to the island in the interim and knew how it had changed, I was jarred by the difference between my earlier cruise experiences and that one. Some specific things I wasn't nutty about included the quality of the food on HAL, and the fact that I had trouble finding public space in which my family and I wanted to relax that was open and serving drinks after 11pm. I also found the process of tendering in to St. George more restrictive than I expected, and the Hamilton dock not as convenient as it could have been. Again, this is stuff that bothered me, based on my previous experiences.

Last year I returned to Celebrity, wondering if I would find it very different from my memories of many years back. However, I was delighted to discover that the food, staff, and especially the service were as wonderful as ever. Plenty to do later at night when we wanted to, too. Public transportation being what it is in Bermuda, docking just at King's Wharf doesn't bother me in the slightest. I make a point of getting to Hamilton for a morning to walk around, or ferrying over to catch a bus to the other end of the island, and don't find it troublesome at all. Seeing the island from the water on the ferry is actually quite lovely. Plenty going on at Dockyard, too, with easy access to water sports and a beautiful section of the Railway Trail on which you can bring rented mopeds or bicycles. (This is just a sampling of what I like to do -- there's lots of other stuff!)

I can't know what the future holds, so I'd never say "never," but I can't imagine why I would sail anyone but Celebrity to Bermuda in the future.

Great to hear that you enjoyed the Summit. We have sailed the southern Caribbean itinerary and loved the ship and the wonderful staff. Can't wait to visit Bermuda on the newly refurbished Summit this September.

OP: while everyone has their favorite, alot of people have recommended HAL because it docks in Hamilton, after August that will not be the case for HAL, it was the last line to dock anywhere but the dockyard, and from now on any cruiseline cruising to bermuda will be docked in the dockyard.

do some research on each cruise line, because who is to say, besides yourself of course, what cruiseline would be best for you!

I agree about RCL. I would book with them but 5 days is too short especially since the price is so close to 7 days on Celeb or NCL.

I just booked my first cruise with RCL, which is an 8-day from Baltimore to Bermuda then Boston and RI - The itinerary states that it will dock in Bermuda at 11:30am and leave at 5pm the next day. Hopefully that will give me enough time to get a nice taste for Bermuda as I've never been.

Archived