Punchliner Sea Day Brunch Review

spitracer

I am not sure I see this as much of a cost cutting measure...they may be combining 2 meals into 1 but it is still available most of the morning and into the afternoon and it offers both breakfast and lunch items so really...they are still providing BOTH meals, just at different times.

Plus someone mentioned they enjoyed the different menus in the dining room...every cruise I have been on has had the same breakfast and lunch menus all week...we never got a new menu for lunch everyday, so if this is the same, aside from the hours being later...what are the MAJOR changes?

I am not sure I see this as much of a cost cutting measure...they may be combining 2 meals into 1 but it is still available most of the morning and into the afternoon and it offers both breakfast and lunch items so really...they are still providing BOTH meals, just at different times.

Plus someone mentioned they enjoyed the different menus in the dining room...every cruise I have been on has had the same breakfast and lunch menus all week...we never got a new menu for lunch everyday, so if this is the same, aside from the hours being later...what are the MAJOR changes?

Lunch menu changes everyday. Breakfast is always the same.

Not any more - on last cruise same lunch menu for both days at sea - and I believe this is now being done fleet wide!

That is what I notice last cruise also...I think RCCL does this also if I remember correctly.

Not any more - on last cruise same lunch menu for both days at sea - and I believe this is now being done fleet wide!

Wow! Hadn't heard that....when did that start?? :confused: We did not do lunch in the MDR on the Magic - so I didn't pay much attention to the lunch menus. :o

I have not experienced this. We were on a cruise in January and again 2 weeks ago and both ships (different ships) had lunch menus that changed daily. So this would be news to me and not at all what I have experienced. However, I will say that I have only cruised on the West Coast and notice that some things tend to be different over here.

I don't like this idea at all. It is a cost cutting move in that it is narrowing both the breakfast and lunch menus, as well as eliminating the daily changes in the lunch menu.

I am one who really enjoys breakfast and lunch in the MDR. It was nice to have a quiet place to go to meet and chat with fellow cruisers. I really can't imagine being in the mood to listen to a comedian for breakfast and lunch. Are they going to add a comedian to tea also so they can eliminate the piano player:rolleyes:?

I don't think it is necessary to have constant "fun" going on. Sometimes people would like a quiet place to eat and enjoy their cruise. Now you are limited to waiting in line for food at the buffet, having to listen to a comedian in the MDR, or if you want quiet, eating a sandwich in your stateroom.

This just strikes me as a move that solidifies Carnival as the least sophisticated cruise line out there. That is disappointing as I do like Carnival, but more than ever will only sail the line when I have kids with me.

John posted this on Facebook -

There seems to be some misunderstanding about breakfast in the dining rooms now we have implemented the comedy brunch. The dining room will still serve a regular breakfast menu and then the brunch menu takes over .

There seems to be some misunderstanding about breakfast in the dining rooms now we have implemented the comedy brunch. The dining room will still serve a regular breakfast menu and then the brunch menu takes over .

Let's hope that is what really happens!! ;)

...and there is still no changing lunch menu.

...and still no peaceful place to enjoy lunch.

Again, if I am with kids, I'll be on Carnival - no line does better, but Carnival is out for adult cruises.

I don't need (and actually avoid) constant stimulation when I cruise. The idea of having to listen to somebody tell jokes while I am trying to eat does not sound at all enjoyable.

For those that think this is great, more power to you - Carnival fills that particular niche. Thank goodness we have choices when we cruise.

I have to say I am kind of looking forward to this brunch. We have sailed Dream four times and every time we have been to the MDR at lunch, which was on sea days, the menu was the same. IT NEVER CHANGED. There was a Caesar salad, a tomato with mozzarella cheese, a kind of BLT, a dried out pork chop and some fish.

There was also a burger. So, I don't feel with having the brunch is going to be boring to me.

One thing though, according to the brand ambassador, there will still be breakfast in the dining room. I got the impression, but could be wrong that there will be regular breakfast until 9 and then the brunch.

I am hoping what I posted above is correct and we are looking forward to it. I expect it to be only on sea days as there hasn't been lunch in the MDR on port days in years.

Thank goodness we have choices when we cruise.

Exactly. Every line has its ups and downs but you are free to cruise whoever you wish for whatever reason you wish.

I have only sailed RCL once, but one thing that stood out is on a sea day they had the MOST AMAZING salad bar set up in the MDR. It was the best salad bar i have ever seen with everything under the sun and then more.

I have to say I am kind of looking forward to this brunch. We have sailed Dream four times and every time we have been to the MDR at lunch, which was on sea days, the menu was the same. IT NEVER CHANGED. There was a Caesar salad, a tomato with mozzarella cheese, a kind of BLT, a dried out pork chop and some fish.

There was also a burger. So, I don't feel with having the brunch is going to be boring to me.

One thing though, according to the brand ambassador, there will still be breakfast in the dining room. I got the impression, but could be wrong that there will be regular breakfast until 9 and then the brunch.

I am hoping what I posted above is correct and we are looking forward to it. I expect it to be only on sea days as there hasn't been lunch in the MDR on port days in years.

I also like this...and I think one of the reasons that they may be doing this is that there are people that like to sleep in and would like to get a later breakfast...now they can do this without having to go to the buffet.

So, breakfast will be the same until 9:00am and brunch after that...so we are losing the lunch menu that seems to change on SOME ships...but not on all...

All I can say was the dinning room did not open up until 9am on our cruise last week on sea days for brunch. Now maybe this is where they will start tweaking the program, but it was NOT the case on our cruise.....except on port days when the regular breakfast was served at it's original time and no brunch or lunch was served in the dinning room.

I'm happy with the brunch menu starting at 9am simply because I am not a fan of breakfast foods at all. I'm happy I'll have lunch choices at that time. My husband on the other hand loves breakfast and will be happy to be able to get it for lunch :)

I just hope it doesn't always take so long to get, 45 minutes is much to long to wait.

All I can say was the dinning room did not open up until 9am on our cruise last week on sea days for brunch. Now maybe this is where they will start tweaking the program, but it was NOT the case on our cruise.....except on port days when the regular breakfast was served at it's original time and no brunch or lunch was served in the dinning room.

Agreed. Also, the jokes told were used again that night in the comedy club. Both comics performed for about 5 minutes at brunch.

Agreed. Also, the jokes told were used again that night in the comedy club. Both comics performed for about 5 minutes at brunch.

Yep...I wasn't that impressed. It was hard to see them and they weren't that funny. The last day we ate in there it took almost 45 mins for us to get out food. It did come out hot and I had good company while I was waiting so I was fine, but it shouldn't have taken so long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

Of our 17 cruises we generally eat on Lido, but did make it to the MDR for lunch twice. I'm actually interested in trying this out - I'm not an early riser and this appeals to me. I do wonder how the comedian thingy will work - I'd think it would be hard to connect to people all over the DR, I do appreciate Carnival thinking outside the box and offering us some changes. Time to start seriously looking at my next cruise. Sounds like the new Hasbro games are ready to lauch as well.

Archived