Spring Break Triumph Review with pics

dfmeeks

Thanks for the review ... sailing Triumph in two months to celebrate my son's graduation ... so looking forward to it!

Lucky you! I hope you all have an incredible cruise! Congrats on his milestone!

I love the review! I will be sailing the Triumph on the 21st of July. Sounds like it will be a blast. Do you know if there are adult only beaches in Coz?

I think Sabor is an adult AI. I've never been but I recall reading something about it. Try doing a search in the Coz section of ports. There may be more adult only beaches but, even if there aren't, you can either read reviews or ask questions. Good luck!

I would never have thought of going on this tour. I'm more interested in the content of the ship, not the process. However, any time we've cruised, my DH would wonder how they do this or that. My parents gave us $200 in OBC for Christmas so I told him we'd earmark part of the $200 for the tour. I say part because I thought the cost on Triumph was $65 not $95. I was wrong. As soon as we boarded the ship we booked 2 tickets ay $95 each. I'm sure I read it was only $65!!! Of well. Make DH happy. They do the tour on the last sea day & they keep the group small, I think 16 people, & it's limited to 2 groups. Photos aren't allowed & you must be prepared to walk & stand on your feet almost the entire time. Let me tell you, initially I wasn't looking forward to this tour & felt it was a waste of time that could be better spent on my balcony. However, I enjoyed the tour more than any other excursion & am glad we participated. It was worth $95!

We met our guide & tour group in the library at about 9 am. Coffee, tea & pastries were waiting for us. We received our passes, instructions, & a booklet with interesting fun ship facts & fun food facts about the Triumph, & a recipe for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake.

We visited staff quarters, where the staff dine (officers have a different dining room than other staff), where staff play (they have their own bar, etc), & the training area. Staff are employed at 6 month contracts & dining room staff train in the staff dining room. I hope that made sense :).

We visited the stage area & the dance captain (or maybe she's called the dance coach, IDK) explained how hectic it is behind the scenes. She said that sometimes at the last minute they have to make adjustments to the show due to rough seas & that the shows stay around for about 10 yrs but with tweaking to costumes & technology.

The ships have these amazing machines that fold the towles, sheets, robes, etc in a matter of seconds. We were given a demonstration of how they press suits. They put the jacket around this device that puffs up with heat resulting in wrinkle free clothes. I want one! Lots easier than ironing by hand!

At some point we stopped in the staff area & enjoyed cookies, juice & were able to get off our feet.

The galley was spotless! Evertything was stainless steel & there wasn't one piece of garbage or stray food on the floor. They displayed these huge vats for making sauces, soups & stocks & were in the process of making a wine sauce that smelled heavenly! They were also cooking beef bones for 10 hours to make stock. We watched a demo on making veggie & fruit flowers, ate some cheesecake & headed to see where they keep the meat, beer, produce, etc.

My favorite part came last & 2-fold. We headed to the engineering room, bombarded the chief engineer with questions & stared in awe at the abundance of computer screens. Finally, up to the bridge to meet the captain & crew. First of all, the view is well.....no words. I think it's a 260 degree view. A small section of the floor all the way to the left is clear so that the captain can guide the ship when docking. We learned that the ship has a system that detects whenever something goes into the water. Anyway, we took a group photo with the captain & then individual photos & we were off.

Once we returned to the library, we completed surveys, were offered a choice of OJ, champagne, or mimosas, given gifts & told there'd be a surprise waiting for us in the cabin.

I would most definitely recommend this tour. There were 2 pre-teens on this tour & they did great. Actually, I think 1 might have been a genious. Seriously! He asked excellent questions!

Thank you for the awesome photos of the Harbor House. We are staying there in June. Your pictures were great! Did you guys walk to the ship from the hotel? Did you leave your car at the hotel - how much was parking?

The walk was so easy! It took maybe 3 minutes but we all carried our own luggage & each had luggage on wheels & carry-ons over our shoulders.

It was $10 to park over night & an additional $30 to park for the duration of our cruise. What was great was doing self assist to debark & bypassing all of the others waiting in line to board transportation to take them to their car. We were on the road by 9:15.

We LOVED HH & would stay there again. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Mohendry, It was nothing special, Kodak Easy Share Z812 IS. The subject matter is what made the photos beautiful! Who could screw up gorgeous scenery ;) ?

Nolababe, I've read & enjoyed your reviews of the Triumph! Your reviews got me so psyched for this trip so a huge thank you to you!!

Great to see all the improvements that have been made to Mr. Sancho's since we were last there. Will be sailing out on the Triumph on the 23rd and we will be going back to Mr. Sancho's again this time! It's a great relaxing day at the beach.

I don't know what it was like before but it's spectacular now! I envy you!

Path, Thank you!

KK, I hope you have a great cruise! I thought I'd feel like something was lacking after being on the larger Liberty & Conquest but I didn't miss a thing. Triumph is really beautiful!

Thanks for the info on the ship's tour. I might have to budget for that as it sounds like a lot of fun. Do you know if you can book it ahead of time or can you book in advance? I thought about taking the tour while on Mariner but didn't know such a tour was available until we were onboard. It was $150 and just wasn't in the budget at the time.

Thanks for the great review and pictures!

How did you go about getting a cab back to the ship at Mr. Sanchos? Do you think it would be pushing it if you tried to leave at 2:30?

Getting a cab was easy. You just walk to their parking lot & there are cabs waiting. I'm not sure if 2:30 is pushing it. I'm trying to remember, are you suppose to be on the ship by 3? If so, I'd leave maybe 2:15. The taxi drops you off outside of the market & then you have to walk through the shopping area before you get to your ship. I just like to play it safe!

Thanks for the info on the ship's tour. I might have to budget for that as it sounds like a lot of fun. Do you know if you can book it ahead of time or can you book in advance? I thought about taking the tour while on Mariner but didn't know such a tour was available until we were onboard. It was $150 and just wasn't in the budget at the time.

Unfortunately, you can't book it prior to boarding. We just made a bee line to book it as soon as we boarded. It was well worth it!

100_1046.jpg

This plate of delicious goodies was waiting for us upon our return to our cabin. Every morsel was yummy!!

[i100_1007.jpgMG]http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j326/Dorothy_Meeks/100_1007.jpg[/img]

100_1005.jpg

The cruise gave DH & I exactly what we wanted & needed....relaxation. Within the 5 days, I read 2 good books & spent maximum time on my aft wrap. I peeked over to my neighbor's aft extended & I really think that size would be sufficient for us, though I'd gladly reserve a regular balcony cabin. We never found soot, cigs, garbage, etc on our balcony.

Things I would repeat:

1. We brought large insulated mugs with us & used them at least once/day. It was wonderful to drink coffee on our balcony every morning & many afternoons.

2. Our cabin was on the deck just below the lido deck. I read so many stories about scraping chairs & partiers keeping others awake but we had no problem at all. It was so convenient to run up the stairs, get breakfast, lunch, snack or dinner & bring to my balconny to eat. It was a perfect location!

3. We never napped during previous cruises. Maybe we didn't want to miss anything but, in the long run, we missed a lot. By early evening we were typically exhausted & missed shows, clubs, etc. This time, we napped for about an hour every afternoon & were refreshed for evening activities.

4. Mr. Sanchos! Good food, good drinks, good price, gorgeous scenery!

5. I'd definitely go on another Behind the Fun Tour but on a larger ship. I realize it will be similar but I'm sure I missed some info.

6. Stay at Harbor House. For us, it was the perfect location. It was so exciting to watch the Triumph sail into port on Saturday morning!

Things I wouldn't repeat:

1. I wouldn't drive to Galveston only 1 day prior. There's so much to see & do. Why not start vacation early? I'd love to drive down at least 2 days prior, or maybe even 3 & stay 1 day at Kemah Boardwalk.

2. I wouldn't bring so many clothes LOL! I thought I reduced down my typical wardrobe but still returned with tons of clean clothes!

3. I wouldn't snub a food station just because there was a long line. I love Chinese food but didn't try any of the offerings due to the line. It's not like I was in a hurry to get anywhere. I guess it was just work habit that it's lunch time & go where the wait is mimimal.

Thanks for allowing me to relive my cruise! Unfortunately, I'm not sure when my next cruise will be. DH announced that cruising is starting to bore him because you're only in port for a few hours & don't have time to explore more thoroughly. For me, that's part of the charm. A new day, a new port! I think I have a solution, however. DH loves NOLA so maybe a few days in NOLA & then cruise out of her port. Sounds like a plan to me!

Archived