What to expect while doing the inside passage.

billyelliot

Exactly as PD says Except . my info from the Association of Pilots is that NO Large Mainstream cruise ships use it all all anymore. On bridge tour last yr on Century I tried and tried to get them to head over that way. I was informed that X does not go there anymore and "Head Office" would fire the lot of them if they did.

It was the best part of a Ak cruise as far as I was concerned. I'm pretty sure I'm going to take a ferry back through there one day, spend a week (one night) in Prince Rupert and come back down.

Exactly as PD says Except . my info from the Association of Pilots is that NO Large Mainstream cruise ships use it all all anymore. On bridge tour last yr on Century I tried and tried to get them to head over that way. I was informed that X does not go there anymore and "Head Office" would fire the lot of them if they did.

It was the best part of a Ak cruise as far as I was concerned. I'm pretty sure I'm going to take a ferry back through there one day, spend a week (one night) in Prince Rupert and come back down.

Good call, I was a bit surprised that Celebrity used it recently but was thinking Mercury a few years back however as the Century and the Mercury were/are sisters at about 70,000 tons then that doesn't quite jibe. That said I know that HAL will ply it from time to time with some of their smaller ships.

It's a shame that Grenville Channel is not a regularly scheduled passage. It was an amazing opportunity indeed. I'm on Celebrity Solstice next summer r/t out of Seattle and am sure it won't be going through there due to it's much larger size.

It will also be my first time ever (it will be my 6th Alaska cruise) to depart r/t from Seattle, all the others departed/arrived in Vancouver or Victoria.

It's a shame that Grenville Channel is not a regularly scheduled passage. It was an amazing opportunity indeed. I'm on Celebrity Solstice next summer r/t out of Seattle and am sure it won't be going through there due to it's much larger size.

It will also be my first time ever (it will be my 6th Alaska cruise) to depart r/t from Seattle, all the others departed/arrived in Vancouver or Victoria.

I would say your chances are somewhere between slim and none and the truth be known...closer to none.

I would say your chances are somewhere between slim and none and the truth be known...closer to none.

I'm certainly not holding out any hope. ;) I'll be happy just to get back to Alaska while enjoying another fine Celebrity ship in the process.

It is a Tracy Arm itinerary and I chose it specifically even from other itineraries I knew would get better port times of visits to Hubbard Glacier and/or Glacier Bay. Crazy?

I have almost 300 time lapse videos in the link in my signature of several cruise lines for the last 2 years, and none of them going through this area. The only ones that used it was the

and the
once when the weather was so bad they went this route. The rest stay in the main channel.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but to answer your question...I just use a Point and Shoot camera to take all my photos. It's a Canon SX 130IS, and I am very happy with it. It fits in my pocket, and I just whip it out to get a quick picture. The 12X zoom works well, very few Point and Shoots have that big of a zoom lens.I never photoshop any of my photos. But I do shoot on the "P" setting, and I have it set for Vivid with the exposure at -1/3.

I have this camera too. We frequently hike in Yosemite, Lake Tahoe or along the coast. LOVE IT! Easy to carry - I usually just keep it in my hand while hiking. easy to use and it takes fantastc pics!

• 4 months later...

I didn't know I had to be such a hard core sightseer on an Alaskan cruise.

It doesn't sound like much of a vacation if I've got to get up at 4am and stake out a deck chair and never leave it all day. Too bad I can't have a meal with my spouse. Too bad I'll have to skip dinner. Maybe I can get a roll?

I'm slightly facetious here, and I don't mean to be disrespectful. And no, I've never been to Alaska in any way shaper or form. But unless there is something totally unique at a certain spot (like a glacier calving, or a moose watering hole), I'm sure I'll see lots of scenery from my balcony, from other parts of the ship and while doing other things like rock climbing, playing mini golf, or just wandering around, after I get up at a reasonable time. DW and I will not be getting up at 4am. We will not be staking out deck chairs from sun up to sun down. That's too much work, and Vacations shouldn't be so much work.

I appreciate alll the great photos, and all the great info.

Archived