Carnival Dream?

Yellowlily

Interested in the Carnival Dream. She looks like a beauty. Sailed on the Valor in the past, one of my all-time favorite ships, ever. How do they compare? Do they still have Scarlett's? or any other signature dining. Comfort and design? Is embarkation painful with that amount of people?

We've loved Carnival and are considering sailing with Carnival again the future, especially the Southern Caribbean on the Dream. Looks like an ultimate vacation.

I'd love to hear any input. Thanks!

The Dream is beautiful and has everything you could ever want including an upscale restaurant like Scarletts. Lots of reviews on line which you should probably peruse. She is larger and of course newer than the Valor.

I think the Dream is a great ship. Traveled her twice now. Embark was normal for about 11am arrival time. She is pretty close to the Conquest class ships like the Valor. She does have a steak house like Scarlett. She does have a few upgrades like the outside promenade that goes around the whole ship on deck 5. The Ocean Plaza opens up in the middle of the inside promenade with a bar and small stage/dance area where on the Valor it would be enclosed spaces. Its about where the coffee shop (which is in the Ocean Plaza) is on the Conquest ships. Upgraded spa facilities with the Thermal Spa Suites for purchase for the week (comes with spa rooms). Few different "free" eating venues (no added just different, like the pasta bar instead of fish n chips upstairs Lido-not sure what the Valor has up there). The Main pool deck is more open, no stadium seating. Has more levels up the side with seating though. Serenity is the new "Adult Only" area, the Aft Pool is open to everyone now and no longer has a sliding roof system.

I'm probably forgetting something.

People complain about the amount of people, but I really never had a problem. DON'T GO DURING PEAK TIMES PPLS:D. Elevators were a bit slow around the main areas, if you can't do stairs or don't want to hike up, just walk down to the mid-ship elevators or aft........they were easier to access.

I think she is a beautiful ship and will maybe travel her again one day, but I have my eyes set on the Breeze in the next two years.

You can probably click on my name and find my threads with my review of the Dream in it. But you find plenty on the boards.

I think the Dream is a great ship. Traveled her twice now. Embark was normal for about 11am arrival time. She is pretty close to the Conquest class ships like the Valor. She does have a steak house like Scarlett. She does have a few upgrades like the outside promenade that goes around the whole ship on deck 5. The Ocean Plaza opens up in the middle of the inside promenade with a bar and small stage/dance area where on the Valor it would be enclosed spaces. Its about where the coffee shop (which is in the Ocean Plaza) is on the Conquest ships. Upgraded spa facilities with the Thermal Spa Suites for purchase for the week (comes with spa rooms). Few different "free" eating venues (no added just different, like the pasta bar instead of fish n chips upstairs Lido-not sure what the Valor has up there). The Main pool deck is more open, no stadium seating. Has more levels up the side with seating though. Serenity is the new "Adult Only" area, the Aft Pool is open to everyone now and no longer has a sliding roof system.

People complain about the amount of people, but I really never had a problem. DON'T GO DURING PEAK TIMES PPLS:D. Elevators were a bit slow around the main areas, if you can't do stairs or don't want to hike up, just walk down to the mid-ship elevators or aft........they were easier to access.

I think she is a beautiful ship and will maybe travel her again one day, but I have my eyes set on the Breeze in the next two years.

You can probably click on my name and find my threads with my review of the Dream in it. But you find plenty on the boards.

Thanks, that was very helpful. The number of people is one of my concerns...can you get a pool chair and table easily with that many people? Is the food still great on the bigger ships? It really looks great!

This has been my only concern with the Dream.. I keep wondering if it's only a major issue at peak times. With dining I'm not that concerned because of all of the choices and because we won't be going at peak times. I'm more concerned with never being able to get near the pool or a decent deck chair, shows and entertainment, etc.

I was on the Dream in January and never felt like she was crowded. We did avoid the main pool on lido so don't know how crowded it was. But everytime we were near the aft pool, there always seemed to be chairs available. Also, if you don't care where you get a chair or table, check out the Lanai on deck 5. Make sure to check out the BBQ on the Lanai during sea days.

So far, she's the only ship I've been on that I would want to sail again.

I did notice that for the shows, people were showing up almost an hour early. We showed up maybe 30mins early and the lower level was already packed.

We showed up about 30 mins. early and had lots of seats..........the issue is they are normally doing like, Bingo or something in the theatre right before a show, so those people are in there already and most stay........so the seats are kinda full prior to the show b/c of that. Don't be afraid to sit next to people you don't know, lol. It worked for us.

Thanks, that was very helpful. The number of people is one of my concerns...can you get a pool chair and table easily with that many people? Is the food still great on the bigger ships? It really looks great!

Pool frontage and use is a problem on most ships b/c of chair hogs and the size of the pools. I never sat at the main pool either time on the Dream. I used the aft pool where there was usually more available. We got back on the ship early from Nassau and plenty of room in the pool for us, lol. You also will have more crowding in those areas if you are booking for a summer cruise or holiday breaks b/c you get the ships at 150% capacity (families and people booking past double occupancy). I go is more "off times" to avoid the 150% people or at least its seems like less people to me.

If you can, try early morning for pool time (but don't be a chair hog or......whatever if you want to) or I would say try around 3 or 4pm. A lot of people clear out by then to get ready for early seating or b/c they've had enough sun. Plenty of activities to keep you busy inbetween.

Food is still good. LOVED the Tandoori grill..........I heart saffron rice and Nan.

Pasta is made fresh to order and service right to your table upstairs

Deli is still good, pizza is still good (to me), burgers are still there, burrito bar still there, Mongolian still there, ICE CREAM STILL THERE, sushi still there. Buffet is what it is when cooking for a mass amount of people, MDR hasn't ever disappointed me, but I don't normally go to places that serve three course meals either on a reg. basis. Room service is still good.

You gotta make your own decision based on what you like, but if you like conquest ships........I don't see that much of a difference that you will hate the Dream class.

The Dream is a beautiful ship. Crowds are definitely worse due to her size. Like someone else suggested, we usually used the aft elevators which were much quicker. Deck chairs were the only problem I had. Chair hog were the worst we've ever seen. People were tossing their towels over chairs by 8 am and then leaving.

The last sea day we could not find 2 chairs together anywhere on any of the decks. In fact, even a single chair was difficult to find. We walked around for 45 minutes before hubby removed someone's towel. I 'threw in the towel' so to speak and spend the day at the spa which was nearly deserted and wonderful.

The Dream is beautiful! We booked a spa cabin on deck 12 last year for our 20th anniversary. We really couldn't find one thing to complain about the entire time. Yes, it can get a little crowded in certain areas at times but we just made sure to get to the shows a lil early and were always able to find deck chairs. We are planning to cruise her again next year!

Enjoy!

We found the Dream to be crowded at times, but it really couldn't be helped. Even when we were on the Inspiration and the show let out, it was crowded for a short while.

We loved, loved, loved the two level Serenity Deck. There's a portion that sits under a sort of roofed area that's nice and shady. And even better is that there is a vent there that must be some kind of exhaust, but it blows out cool air. There were these long couch-like areas and those were the best for just laying down and reading. Though I do believe I might have dozed off once or twice.

The Pasta Bar was simply amazing and the show "Dancing in the Streets" was by far the best show I've ever seen on a cruise.

Just returned from the Dream. It is an amazing ship. It was Spring Break but never noticed huge crowds. You can always find a quiet space on the ship. My husband even comented that he like this ship better than most of the others we have sailed on. Noticed at the pool, people were asking the attendents if there were any lounge chairs available. The cruise attendents walked around and moved towels and articles placed by chair hogs and put them at the towel hut and freed up chairs for others. So if you can't find any chairs ask the attendents and they will free up chairs reserved by chair hogs. I thought this was a great idea. Also, a note to chair hogs. When you return to your reserved chairs, they may not be there.

We have a cruise scheduled in 26 days (Fantasy) to break up the time... Thanks and do a review when you get back!

Oh okay then it won't be such a painful wait lol! ;)

I will definately be posting a review with photos as well. I really learned a lot over the months on these boards from other member reviews.

Just returned from the Dream. It is an amazing ship. It was Spring Break but never noticed huge crowds. You can always find a quiet space on the ship. My husband even comented that he like this ship better than most of the others we have sailed on. Noticed at the pool, people were asking the attendents if there were any lounge chairs available. The cruise attendents walked around and moved towels and articles placed by chair hogs and put them at the towel hut and freed up chairs for others. So if you can't find any chairs ask the attendents and they will free up chairs reserved by chair hogs. I thought this was a great idea. Also, a note to chair hogs. When you return to your reserved chairs, they may not be there.

Good suggestion! I will definitely go this route, as the last thing I'm looking for on vacation is a fight! :)

Archived