Key West Hamingway House

NKsDogWalker

FWIW It used to be that you could buy $1.00 off tickets to the Hemingway house at a place across the alleyway from the Wrecker's Museum and Tower.

It's too bad you cannot browse in the book / gift shop at the house without paying full admission to the property. They have a lot interesting things there.

Pjk

Peter, I don't even remember a gift shop or book shop as part of the Hemingway House tour :confused: lol, I usually don't miss any gift shops :eek: if I go back and tour it again, I will have to be on look-out for it...was it within the original house itself, or was it an outbuilding?

Peter, I don't even remember a gift shop or book shop as part of the Hemingway House tour :confused: lol, I usually don't miss any gift shops :eek: if I go back and tour it again, I will have to be on look-out for it...was it within the original house itself, or was it an outbuilding?

It's in a building out back. Not a large shop, but some neat stuff in there.

If you are interested in thngs Hemingway, there is also the Casa Antigua just a few blocks along on Simonton. It's where he and Pauline first stayed in Key West and it's amazing what is in there...

http://www.keywesttravelguide.com/casa%20antigua.html

IIRC it's $2.00 pp to get in.

Pjk

thanks, Peter...I checked out the link, and the tour and gift shop sound quite interesting...lol...the Pelican Poop Shop

One of my ports in June is Key West. On my "bucket list" has always been a trip to visit the Hemingway House. I love American literature and I am facinated by the "Hemingway cats". Has anyone every been on the Hemingway excursion Carnival does? Should I just save the $40 and do it on my own? I kind of like the fact that there is a tour guide. Learning facts about the place I am and the history of the locations is aways fun.

Hi Robin, Others say don't take the excursion, but we did and really enjoyed it. We took the "Hemingway Home and Sloppy Joe's" excursion for about $40/pp. The guide was funny and knowledgeable. It is a walking tour that lasted 2.5 hours, so be prepared. The price included the entrance fee to Hemingway's where they provide the guide for the house and grounds.

Recently we went back on the Ecstasy and did the "Pub Crawl." It was even more fun as we went to five bars and had a drink in each. Domestic beer was free, but some places charged buck or two for a frozen drink. We were by far the oldest on that excursion, but it didn't matter and we all laughed like crazy and had a great time.

Bottom line, enjoy yourself! John

There is a self-guided walking tour called Follow in Papa's Footsteps which takes you to places he frequented in Key West and, amazingly, many of them are still there, but usually something else now; Blue heavan used to have cock fights with a brothel upstairs, The La Concha was there and he and Pauline used to go up there to dance to the Cuban band, etc. etc. It's in the back of a book called Hemingway in Key West, but I copied it out once in case anyone needs it. It's listed as two hours.

Pjk

• 3 weeks later...
If you are interested in thngs Hemingway, there is also the Casa Antigua just a few blocks along on Simonton. It's where he and Pauline first stayed in Key West and it's amazing what is in there...

http://www.keywesttravelguide.com/casa%20antigua.html

IIRC it's $2.00 pp to get in.

Pjk

Thanks for posting this!

I walked from the ship to the HH and then stopped at Casa Antigua on the way back. The "tour" is free with a $10 purchase from the Pelican Poop Shop. You sit in the garden while a tape plays with some interesting information (some of which I had already read online). The flowers are gorgeous and it was very cool and relaxing to sit there for a while after walking in the heat of the afternoon. Another relaxing spot on the way there/back from HH is the garden at the oldest house in Florida on Duval if you need a cool place to sit for a while or a restroom break.

Really enjoyed the tour at HH. Drake was a great tour guide.

Archived