POA-lunch on boarding day

debster818

And, time frame for the MDR. Thanks

Usually, the MDR closes around 2 or 2:30 on embarkation day. The POA doesn't sail until evening, though, so I'm not sure if it's open later in that case or not. Back when we sailed on her, we didn't know the MDR was an option for lunch so never thought to check. You'll get a condensed version of the Freestyle Daily after you check-in and that should list the times for everything.

We just did that cruise in september and I remember the buffet being open and the blue lagoon being open. The blue lagoon is up one deck, overlooking the pool. They had a small buffet with things like hotdogs and hamburgers. Just backyard cookout kind of stuff.

The inside buffet was fully open and the aft buffet was also open. The aft buffet doesnt have as many choices and the inside buffet, but its Hawaii, and youll want to eat out there! ;)

One thing to take note of... the guide (I think her names Malu?) will give a daily overview of whats going on in that port (shopping, sightseeing, excursions) at the aft buffet during breakfast. About 7ish. You should make a note to see her and listen in. It took me 3 days to realize I shouldve been there for it.

If theyve changed where she is, you should find her. Shes very valuable.

One thing to take note of... the guide (I think her names Malu?) will give a daily overview of whats going on in that port (shopping, sightseeing, excursions) at the aft buffet during breakfast. About 7ish. You should make a note to see her and listen in. It took me 3 days to realize I shouldve been there for it.

If theyve changed where she is, you should find her. Shes very valuable.

She's still there on the aft deck (at least in January). Not sure how she spells her name though, but it was her. One thing to note (we didn't know this), if the ship is in the same port for two mornings (like in Kauai) they won't do the port talk on the second morning. These talks are well worth listening to. :)

She's still there on the aft deck (at least in January). Not sure how she spells her name though, but it was her. One thing to note (we didn't know this), if the ship is in the same port for two mornings (like in Kauai) they won't do the port talk on the second morning. These talks are well worth listening to. :)

Is there a strong emphasis upon sightseeing or is it mostly "the shopping talk"? Most of the shopping talks push the shops that give the cruise line a kick-back. I have no interest in attending those ever again!

Is there a strong emphasis upon sightseeing or is it mostly "the shopping talk"? Most of the shopping talks push the shops that give the cruise line a kick-back. I have no interest in attending those ever again!

No, she will talk about a wide variety of things. Shoppings just one of them, and even that is mostly local vendors. She really just skims that. About sightseeing for example, she will tell you about the history of the area and if youre interested you should go see this spot. She told us about A captain Cook landing thats only accessible by boat, and how to see it! Also, the ship will drive past a side of the Big Island that no people live or can get to easily. She will talk about it in the morning, and then as you go past that evening, she will be on the PA system talking about the history of it and local beliefs regarding it.

Like I said, its a pretty broad range of things for every interest.

She also hands out a paper with a map showing various points of interest.

Archived