Is Flat Iron Steak...

Markmom18

Thank goodness Carnival hasn't found a way to cook the hooves. Yet.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, by dumbing-down the MDR faire they are feeding their pay venues. As long as folks are ok with it the trend will continue.

YMMV

It imo is hit or miss. There have been a couple of times where it was great, but also times where it was like chewing a piece of rubber. Once my wife couldn't even cut it.

I agree 100%, don't go over medium.

Just want to add...

My favorite cheap steak at home is a chuck eye steak.

It rivals a rib eye in tenderness, but being from the chuck it has a different flavor.

I prefer steaks rare or med rare, but have over time realized these can be more tender if cooked med .

So I guess by some of the preceeding comments That I must be 1 lucky person, because on my last 2 cruises I've had it 7 or 8 times as my 2nd entree and it has been prepared/seasoned and cooked to perfection and NOT ONE BIT TOUGH!

GO FIGURE!

As someone has mentioned,,could it be the way you have it cooked I am a medium rare to medium kind of steak. So I board tomorrow,,,how about I order 3 at one time,,cooked differntly,,and I'll give you my report !

I'm a rancher in meat production...I can not believe this flat iron steak B.S. and that Carnival is getting away with it.

flat iron "steak" is from the shoulder . I believe it came from a part of a study from the beef industry.

they took a part of the shoulder muscle that was not used very much ( mostly for ground beef) and cut it in a way to present it as a steak.

to me its not good , but to ea his own...

correct..or a roast

...That my friends, is Flat Iron Steak. Personally, I suggest Carnival grind it all up and serve it as the "Best Ground Round" in town (Well maybe best on the ship actually). I have to say, however, that Carnival is honest in their description. It is "flat". It is tough as "iron". It legally is classified as a "steak". So consume at your own risk...

Agree, why bother..it's not really a steak

flat iron is from part of the shoulder and it has the main tendon removed. basically the steak is from a cheap section of the steer...

Again correct.

The flatiron steak Carnival serves has a wonderful flavor but it's just so damn tough, I can't cut or chew the thing and I like beef rare to medium-rare. With the exception of the prime rib I've given up on beef served in carnival main dining rooms. I first noticed the tougher beef in 2005 but I thought it just an exception, it's been a steady stream of tough beef since. The salmon has consistently been very good so I'm quite happy with it when nothing else on the menu jumps out at me.

I have had Flat Iron on several cruises and it is has been good.

I order my rare because I know by the time it gets to me it will be medium rare which is what I like:)

Maybe I should order mine medium rare, and by the time it gets to me it will be medium. I think I'll try that! I've never had one before, so I think I'll try one on my upcoming cruise. I'm not a real picky eater, however, I do like a tender steak. So we will see...

As someone has mentioned,,could it be the way you have it cooked I am a medium rare to medium kind of steak. So I board tomorrow,,,how about I order 3 at one time,,cooked differntly,,and I'll give you my report !

Let us know what the results are. Oh, but I board on Monday (Darn! I really hate when that happens!...lol...). Maybe I'll do the same and see which one tastes best...lol...

DW has it on occation. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's not good. Kinda hit or miss. She always gets it MR. I'm sure if you got it welldone, it would be a brick. Not alot of fat in that cut.

Agreed. DH got it the first night on our Aug 2010 cruise, and it was delicious--tender, juicy, not a tough spot on it. I am very picky about steak, but tried a piece and was amazed how good it was.:)

A couple nights later, her ordered it again, and it was tough and dry.:eek:

Some of the replies here had me and my husband laughing...love the flip flop comparison:eek: Thank you for the information though. I think I'll stick to the "Steakhouse" on the Splendor for my steak. I don't care for meat that is medium, much prefer medium rare/juicy red type. Yummy!

IMO if you are a well done person and have never tried it any other way you might want to consider doing so.

I grew up in Ohio where I ordered well done and drank Pepsi and drive Chevys because, well, that's what my dad did.

I moved to Virginia and a friend heard me order a steak well done. She asked me to do her a favor and trust her: order it medium well.

It was so yummy. Now I order it medium.

To each his own. Just make sure you really know what your own is.

Just curious, did you switch to Coke and Ford? :)

Just curious, did you switch to Coke and Ford? :)

I'm all over the board for both. Drink mostly Cherry Coke now but everything is fair game. Same for cars. I've owned Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, Dodge and Chevrolet.

FWIW, my kid now orders her steak medium. Probably because her dad does. :)

We really like it rare, as rare as possible. It always has been tender and juicy. Our grocers in my city sell a similar steak called a sirloin griller.

The flat iron is cut from the shoulder, it is NOT sirloin.

Your cooking preference is yours, but I would especially not eat anything from the shoulder rare, that is where the flies like to congregate and they have been thick this year. It's probably more of a 'hang up' for me, but that's what I visualize when I see someone order a rare piece of meat. BTW--I know of no cattle ranchers that order meat rare. But enjoy your beef, pork, or chevron. We need people to eat more beef.

snoozeman. whats your favorite cut. mine is the rib eye. second being the skirt

When we have a big cook-out here on the ranch, and we do several a year, we usually do rib eyes. Sometimes a strip steak just to change it up. I have a grill made from an old tractor rim that I can cook up to 24 large steaks at a time (It will hold more, but 24 is all I can keep up without reaching over the heat) I use native 'old' Spanish oak for wood.

I use a smaller grill when it's just me (DW is a vegetarian) and will use wood, gas, or electric depending on the time, but usually it's always a nice rib eye steak.

Archived