4/1/12 Gem NYC - Bahamas Mini Review w/Pics and Video

craig-n-carol

Thought I would share some pics and a short video from our recent cruise. Great service on the Gem and loved every minute of it from the food, entertainment and service to the shore excursions and shopping.

There were a couple minor glitches here and there, but nothing terrible. Our key cards didn't work when we got to our cabin, but it was handled by the guest services desk immediately. And the portable phones were not programmed correctly for our butler, which was also quickly remedied. Other than that it was a beautiful cruise and we really enjoyed ourselves. We loved Cagney's, Le Bistro and Moderno, and the MDRs were fantastic as well.

We went on the KSC Up Close tour in Cape Canaveral which was great, and did the glass bottom boat in the Bahamas, which was just right for us. Plenty of photo ops on both excursions. We really enjoyed walking through Nassau and the straw market shopping.

At GSC we went ashore long enough to get a drink and buy a couple of things in the straw market, and walk around a bit. We really enjoyed the layout of the island, there seemed to be alot of folks enjoying themselves in the water and the various activities on the beaches, parasailing and such.

The NYC port folks on disembarkation could use some manners though, they really lack basic people skills. There are better ways to communicate other than yelling at people.

It was a great second honeymoon for the DW and I. We were in Aft Penthouse Suite 10664.

The video is right after sailaway departing the NY harbor.

Pics are here:

https://plus.google.com/photos/103899145862808959082/albums/5729230808113378193

Video here:

So glad you had a great time! I was in the same cabin on the sailing prior to yours and just loved it. Also loved Florentina (concierge) and our butler, Jayson. Both extraordinary people.

Just curious if you met your cabin steward? During our 7 days on board the Gem, we never met him at all. He never came by to say hello nor ask if we needed anything (which we didn't). It was the first cruise where this has happened to me.

Tracy

So glad you had a great time! I was in the same cabin on the sailing prior to yours and just loved it. Also loved Florentina (concierge) and our butler, Jayson. Both extraordinary people.

Just curious if you met your cabin steward? During our 7 days on board the Gem, we never met him at all. He never came by to say hello nor ask if we needed anything (which we didn't). It was the first cruise where this has happened to me.

Tracy

We received a letter on day two that Florentina had to leave unexpectedly, I assume she left us at Port Canaveral. She was replaced by Leah Rodriguez, but we never met her. She never came into Cagney's, or introduced herself to us. I heard through the grapevine that Florentina's mother fell very ill and that was the reason she had to leave. I sure hope everything is OK with her.

Our butler was Randy, and he was great. As for the stewards, there were two, whose names I never got because they came and went very quickly, and also never really asked if we needed anything. There seemed to be a bit of inconsistency in the room staff, unlike my last cruise on the Pearl. It really didn't matter much to us because the make up and turn down service was consistent and was always done when requested.

We enjoyed our balcony so much that nothing else really mattered to us! :)

The wake was completely mesmerizing to us and that is why we posted the short video so we could revisit the sound at any time :D

I am saddened to hear about Florentina's hasty departure. She is truly one of the most amazing people I have met on board a cruise ship. I will keep her family in my prayers and hope to sail with her again some day.

Loved your photos and video!

Tracy

Nice photos. . .thanks for sharing

You know, after watching alot of the Titanic shows this weekend, it makes one stop and think what the crew have to go through to provide such great service to us when we are on vacation.

I really have to check myself sometimes when I get upset about minor things onboard and realize these people have lives too. I couldn't imagine hearing something wrong at home while at sea, and not being able to get off the ship for a day or two until the next port.

Hi Craig. Jo-Ann here, Thanks for the memories. Yes we were on the same cruises-- we met at the meet n greet--- and got to see each other around the ship ---glad you both had a time a good time --- Gem is a wonderful ship ---

We will be on the gem 6/2 and want to book our dining reservations tomorrow but no idea of the nightly show times. Wondering if you have the dailies or if you can give us some guidance. We were thinking of 7pm reservations nightly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We will be on the gem 6/2 and want to book our dining reservations tomorrow but no idea of the nightly show times. Wondering if you have the dailies or if you can give us some guidance. We were thinking of 7pm reservations nightly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have the dailies, but the show times were 7:30 and 9:30, except for the show on Thursday or Friday (can't remember which, but it was the Nickelodeon themed show) was 7:00 and 9:00.

Hi Craig. Jo-Ann here, Thanks for the memories. Yes we were on the same cruises-- we met at the meet n greet--- and got to see each other around the ship ---glad you both had a time a good time --- Gem is a wonderful ship ---

Hi Jo-Ann, yes I remember! The Gem was beautiful, we are on the Pearl in Feb 2013 for Western Caribbean. Already planning the next one!

We received a letter on day two that Florentina had to leave unexpectedly, I assume she left us at Port Canaveral. She was replaced by Leah Rodriguez, but we never met her. She never came into Cagney's, or introduced herself to us. I heard through the grapevine that Florentina's mother fell very ill and that was the reason she had to leave. I sure hope everything is OK with her.

Our butler was Randy, and he was great.

I'm so sorry to hear that Florentina had to leave in a rush like that. She was so amazing not only as a concierge but as a human being! I hope all is well with her and her family.

I wonder if Randy was the same person who was the night butler up in the Haven the cruise prior? The Randy up there was amazing and so friendly!

I'm so sorry to hear that Florentina had to leave in a rush like that. She was so amazing not only as a concierge but as a human being! I hope all is well with her and her family.

I wonder if Randy was the same person who was the night butler up in the Haven the cruise prior? The Randy up there was amazing and so friendly!

I imagine he is the same Randy, you are describing him to a tee! :)

I imagine he is the same Randy, you are describing him to a tee! :)

Awesome! :D

He was so sweet when we did see him. We "needed" him on the first night - we couldn't find one of the light switches! Even he had to hunt for it! :D But, he was so funny and cheerful I felt less of a dork than I did when we had to call!

Awesome! :D

He was so sweet when we did see him. We "needed" him on the first night - we couldn't find one of the light switches! Even he had to hunt for it! :D But, he was so funny and cheerful I felt less of a dork than I did when we had to call!

Don't feel bad, we had a hard time reaching him on the phone, as I stated earlier the room phone was not programmed correctly for the butler. He gave us his number and I was calling it repeatedly getting the wrong person, I was so angry at him fro giving me the wrong number, and then realized I was inverting a number when dialing! Dohhhh! A true Homer Simpson moment!! :D

Don't feel bad, we had a hard time reaching him on the phone, as I stated earlier the room phone was not programmed correctly for the butler. He gave us his number and I was calling it repeatedly getting the wrong person, I was so angry at him fro giving me the wrong number, and then realized I was inverting a number when dialing! Dohhhh! A true Homer Simpson moment!! :D

Love it! :D

Archived