tell me about Odyssey dining

nearly there

I'm a long time loyal Regent cruiser, but decided it would be nice to have a change. Never cruised Seabourn before as I didn't think I'd like the small ships, but now with the new medium sized ships, we thought we'd give Seabourn a try and have just planned a Med cruise on the Odyssey in the autumn.

I've read all the info about dining options, but still am a bit confused. I understand that the Restaurant is the main dining space with open seating but do all the other alternatives require reservations? If so, are they difficult to get and can you book on line before the cruise?

I'm so used to the Regent system ..open dining in the main restaurant, reservation free dining in the casual restaurant and booking the other 2 alternative restaurants months in advance of the cruise..that I need to understand how Seabourn works.

One final question as well...how easy/difficult is it to get tables for 2 both in the main Restaurant and in the other venues?

Thanks so much.

We just returned from a cruise on the Odyssey. The Restaurant is the main dining space and has open seating. When you enter, you state if you want dining for the two of you or if you want to share a table with others. We did both and never had to wait at any venue. The only venue needing reservations is Restaurant 2, which is a smaller space and serves a tasting menu. The Colonade and Patio Grill are both great and should not be missed. We particularly liked the Grill, which served Seabourn's wonderful grilled Nigerian Shrimp (see other postings) and other grilled treats. You can also get 24 hour room service and a number of people used that option. It is served in courses for dinner. We only did room service breakfast, which was right on time, piping hot, and just as good as the dining room. I don't think you can reserve Restaurant 2 before the cruise, but you don't need to. Once you are onboard, just call and reserve a space. They really work hard to make sure everyone gets a chance to try it. The food was excellent on the Odyssey. Have a great cruise!

Something that is confusing me about the dining on the big sisters is this. Is the Restaurant open for breakfast and lunch or not? I'm a little concerned because I have read a couple of posts that say the Colonnade can be like a 'zoo' for both of these meal times. My sensibilities don't cope too well with a 'zoo' for any meal, particularly breakfast. I'm happy to have room service breakfast now and then but really not every day.

We too have just left the Odyssey and would endorse everything brlight has said (hello Bill & Pat), but our experience in Restaurant 2 was slightly odd.

We booked immediately on boarding (Monday) for the Wednesday (48hr) and were told we'd have to share a table for 6. Come Wednesday night we were the only ones to turn up, so we had a large table to ourselves! It was so enjoyable we mentioned that we were thinking about a return visit on the Sunday, only to be told by guest services (on the Wednesday night) that it was wait-list only for the rest of the Cruise. This seems to imply that the 48hr rule was not being rigidly observed by all.

Nevertheless, we joined the wait list and at 6pm on the Sunday we were offered a table for two at 7.45pm, which fortunately we accepted, as the second tasting menu was even better than the first.

We too have just left the Odyssey and would endorse everything brlight has said (hello Bill & Pat), but our experience in Restaurant 2 was slightly odd.

We booked immediately on boarding (Monday) for the Wednesday (48hr) and were told we'd have to share a table for 6. Come Wednesday night we were the only ones to turn up, so we had a large table to ourselves! It was so enjoyable we mentioned that we were thinking about a return visit on the Sunday, only to be told by guest services (on the Wednesday night) that it was wait-list only for the rest of the Cruise. This seems to imply that the 48hr rule was not being rigidly observed by all.

Nevertheless, we joined the wait list and at 6pm on the Sunday we were offered a table for two at 7.45pm, which fortunately we accepted, as the second tasting menu was even better than the first.

The reservation situation at Restaurant 2 can be all over the place. In my experience, availability tends to open up later in the cruise, and waitlists do tend to clear, as apparently many guests do not care for the concept as much. I was able to get a same afternoon booking one day.

The reservation situation at Restaurant 2 can be all over the place. In my experience, availability tends to open up later in the cruise, and waitlists do tend to clear, as apparently many guests do not care for the concept as much. I was able to get a same afternoon booking one day.

Moi aussi. And some people having booked, just don't turn up. So it is sometimes possible to walk by and get a reservation. However, restaurant2 is not to everyones taste.

• 2 weeks later...
Something that is confusing me about the dining on the big sisters is this. Is the Restaurant open for breakfast and lunch or not? I'm a little concerned because I have read a couple of posts that say the Colonnade can be like a 'zoo' for both of these meal times. My sensibilities don't cope too well with a 'zoo' for any meal, particularly breakfast. I'm happy to have room service breakfast now and then but really not every day.

We had room service breakfast - lovely and right on time - so can't speak to that option; I'm sure the Restaurant was open and next time will make certain to go. Lunch in the Restaurant is fabulous and was nearly empty when we tried it on Odyssey TA in March. The open time is somewhat limited but the attention given is unbelievable.

Another note relative to this discussion is that Restaurant 2 reservations are often cancelled by early-reservers as they make other plans during the week. Try as late as the afternoon you care to go - you might have a nice surprise.

Food on Odyssey never failed to impress us, and we really didn't get an overcrowded feeling anytime at the Collonade. Absolutely wonderful experience overall. LOVE the staff!

On a pleasant and warm evening, the Patio Grill can get quite busy. It is open seating but it is a smaller venue than the MDR or the Colonnade and can get full. To avoid disappointment, I would recommend getting there fairly early and enjoying a drink there - rather than at The Club or the Observation Lounge - before dinner.

thanks everyone, especially Roxburgh. Excellent idea to get to Patio Grill early for a drink as we like to eat about 8 ish. Quite like the idea of booking other restaurants only a day or two in advance or even on the day. I've loved cruising on Regent, but booking restaurants 180 days in advance (and I think it's changing to 240 for concierge level and silver status and above guests) seems a bit mad.

Archived