Booking Train Reservations With BritRail Pass

shellyc

We will be staying at the Hilton at Gatwick for two nights after our cruise. I purchased Brit Rail passes for 2 day use. When I go on the britrail site to book a seat only, it says I owe $10USD. I'm a little confused.

First, is it necessary to book a seat reservation ahead of time from Southampton to Gatwick Airport, travelling June 1.

Second, do I have to pay extra for a seat even though I have a brit rail 2 day brit rail london plus pass.

Third, do I also have to prebook a seat on the train from Waterloo to Southampton pre-cruise, or can I just buy the tickets the night before I want to travel?

Seat reservations are seldom necessary on services like that, especially if you're travelling at off peak times. I do a bit of train travel for work on services like these. With unpredictable travel times, it's usually a case of turning up at the station to catch the next train; rarely has there been a problem with seats. I certainly wouldn't pay an extra $10 for the privilege.

If you buy your London to Southampton tickets the night before you travel, the station may well be able to sort out a seat reservation for you at the same time.

Seat reservations are seldom necessary on services like that, especially if you're travelling at off peak times. I do a bit of train travel for work on services like these. With unpredictable travel times, it's usually a case of turning up at the station to catch the next train; rarely has there been a problem with seats. I certainly wouldn't pay an extra $10 for the privilege.

If you buy your London to Southampton tickets the night before you travel, the station may well be able to sort out a seat reservation for you at the same time.

Thanks, I am a compulsive planner, and this is the first time that we are going to use rail as a mode of transportation. Thanks for the tips. We are flying to France and taking the Eurostar back to London pre cruise. Husband is very excited about travelling thru the chunnel. I think I will go with the flow on the train travel, post cruise is no problem, I just have to make sure we get on a train pre-cruise in plenty of time to get on the ship.

• 1 month later...

We just returned Friday from our post cruise trip to London. Here are two things I learned about train travel using Brit Rail Passes.

You don't need seat reservations on the Southampton to Victoria Station lines, in fact you don't need seat reservations for the Southern Line or the Gatwick Express.

One very important lesson learned, if you use the Brit Rail London First Pass on the Gatwick Express to or from Victoria Station, it counts as one day used up on your rail pass. We learned this the hard way, since the conductor tried to confisgate our passes on day one on the Gatwick Express. I pleaded with him to let us use the pass for the following day. He gave us back the passes. On Day 2, I took the Southern Line from Gatwick Airport Hilton to Victoria Station. They never checked the tickets on the train, but you had to show your pass or ticket to get out of the station gates.

We used the passes on the Gatwick Express from Victoria Station on our day 2 return, since that was our last trip on our 2 day rail pass.

We paid $80 senior and $95 adult for those 2 day passes.

We used the Underground while in London, the same day off peak travel passes were around 4.50 pounds each. WE used two one day off peak passes. The underground is in good shape, and there are good signs everywhere.

Michele

Michelle: we are planning on purchasing the London Plus Pass. Since we will be actually based in Southampton (as of now), we hope to start the pass in Southampton. Someone mentioned that you must start this pass in London. Is this correct? My previous experience with a Britrail pass years ago, was that you actually start it on your first trip, but my friend said that we must validate it in London. I hope not!

Grace

Archived