Brisbane -- Brisbane City Walk

MalibuCA

Frommer's recommends taking the "Brisbane City Walk," a self-guided walk, which takes you to 30 attractions throughout the city. It was available through the Brisbane Visitor Information Centre in the Queen Street Mall Information Centre as well as online at Our Brisbane. However, when I went to the website for Our Brisbane, it was gone. I googled it and learned that the website has been discontinued. Does anyone know how I can get the Brisbane City Walk? It's exactly what I need to plan our visit to Brisbane.

In the alternative, if you don't have access to the City Walk, can you recommend a route that we take? We are interested in visiting sites along the River (we will be taking the City Cat Ferry), perhaps the Queensland Art Gallery, Gallery of Modern Art, South Bank Parklands (South Bank in general), West End Neighborhood, Newstead House. Can you please comment on which of these we should not miss and which we can miss? What is missing from my list? We will be in Brisbane for probably only one day.

Lastly, I have read on these boards that we can take the CityCat Ferry and "get off at sights along the way anywhere we want." Which of the sights that I mentioned are available from the CityCat? Which sights that I have not mentioned, but that should definitely be visited, are available from the CityCat? Is there a website for the CityCat Ferry that will identify the stops and what sights are at or near those stops?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Shelley

Shelley,

First of all: relax! No worries!

Volunteers will be waiting for you in the cruise terminal, hand you a city map and answer all your questions.

The river makes a bend around downtown. If you get off the CAT on one side, you can walk the CBD easily to the other side, walk through the mall, and pick up a ticket for the hop-off hop-on bus ticket ($ 35?). The bus stops at the museums, but if you prefer, you can return to your first stop and walk through the mall again. I think it ends at a museum, but there are more across the bridge.

Archived