door contest ?

bluehenfan

A couple years ago a friend and I sailed on the Glory. Our CD was a young English guy named James. He made announcement that there was a door decorating contest the next day and my friend and I were sorry we hadn't brought anything to decorate our door with. He and the asst. CD walked the halls looking for best looking door. We had 3 teenage girls & 1 mom in the cabin next to ours , and their door was decorated from top to bottom. We weren't surprised when the girls were out on their balcony and leaned around to tell us they'd won a "trophy" and the mom got a bottle of champage. I've been on 3 cruises since then and have never heard mention of another door decorating contest. Was this a one-time deal, or has anyone else had a decorating contest on their cruise ???

Ditto on the Liberty in January. It was in the funtimes a couple of times and I think the CD or Assistant CD might have mentioned it once.

It as advertised as Red's Rum/Blue Iguana door decorating pick your side (but people had all sorts of themes). I just happen to have a picture of an iguana in my door decorations so ...

2767821360102635822S600x600Q85.jpg

a couple night's later we found this in our mailbox

2761370360102635822S600x600Q85.jpg

It really surprises me that they actually do this and announce it. I always thought it was a bad idea to even decorate the doors. I have seen the workers having trouble cleaning up doors after people taping so much on them. If they are metal and everything is stuck on there with a magnet is one thing. While reading these kinds of threads I have always wondered what these door decorators houses look like inside and out!

I won the door decorating contest on the Glory back in 2009. I used a bunch of colorful fish cut-outs from the dollar store and then made a "sign" from a piece of paper that said something about being on deck 2 and "sleeping with the fishes." :p

I've looked for this contest on every cruise since - Inspiration, Dream, Legend, Fascination - and have never seen it advertised. I tend to scour the Fun Times, so I guess it depends on the CD?

It really surprises me that they actually do this and announce it. I always thought it was a bad idea to even decorate the doors. I have seen the workers having trouble cleaning up doors after people taping so much on them. If they are metal and everything is stuck on there with a magnet is one thing. While reading these kinds of threads I have always wondered what these door decorators houses look like inside and out!

true cruise critic form. :rolleyes:

There was a door decor contest on Legend in Dec, 2011. We did not win, but had a great time decorating our door & viewing others. It wasn't well advertised & you did have to sign up for it. As far as the mess- we only used stuff that would easily come off, & cleaned it off ourselves, so no extra work for the steward. We will do it again on our next cruise just for the fun of it.

That last comment was just straight out rude! Why even open "these kinds of threads" to read if you don't like the idea/concept!?

We happen to be cruising during the summer Olympics and I mentioned on our roll call that I thought it would be a great theme for door decorating to show support for a favorite sport or favorite country and also to just help quickly spot your cabin in the long hallways!! (I have no idea if there is a contest on the ship) Someone else posted they thought it was a great idea!

Archived