Please Help Me Decide... Princess Ruby, Or Carnivial Splendor, Anyone Done Both??

Big Jay

I'm A Young (45) Man Sailing Solo!! I've Cruised Carnivial Plenty Of Times In The Past, But Never Cruised Princess!!!

I've Been Doing My Homework, And The Ruby Is A VERY Pretty Ship!!!

Are The Cruisers Older On Princess, Than Carnivial??

How Is The Entertainment??

Any Advice/Help Will Be Greatly Appreciated!!!

I'm A Young (45) Man Sailing Solo!! I've Cruised Carnivial Plenty Of Times In The Past, But Never Cruised Princess!!!

Ruby Princess. Everything on Princess is better than Carnivore.

It all depends on what you like to do and things you like to see. Princess does not have the party atmosphere and is more sedate but that doesn't mean you won't have a fun time. There are a number of different activities and entertainment choices in the evening to choose from. Passengers tend to be older but that doesn't mean you're cruising on an old people's home. At your age, you'll fit right in.

It all depends on what you like to do and things you like to see. Princess does not have the party atmosphere and is more sedate but that doesn't mean you won't have a fun time. There are a number of different activities and entertainment choices in the evening to choose from. Passengers tend to be older but that doesn't mean you're cruising on an old people's home. At your age, you'll fit right in.

Thanks Ms. Pam!!!!!

Your'e Probably Right!!!:D

I've sailed on both the Splendor and the Ruby. The Ruby is a far prettier ship, in my opinion, not taking anything away from the Splendor. Pam in CA is right; you'll fit in with both ships as far as demographics.

Have a great cruise whichever one you choose :)

hi all, Big jay i am 42 this will be my 4th princess cruise solo in may . i have been on 14 carnivial cruises. Pam is right its not a party ship like carnivial but ther is a lot to do. i likethe Entertainment on princess better more chocies . you will fit in just fine. dave

I've sailed on both the Splendor and the Ruby. The Ruby is a far prettier ship, in my opinion, not taking anything away from the Splendor. Pam in CA is right; you'll fit in with both ships as far as demographics.

Have a great cruise whichever one you choose :)

Thank You So Much!!!;)

hi all, Big jay i am 42 this will be my 4th princess cruise solo in may . i have been on 14 carnivial cruises. Pam is right its not a party ship like carnivial but ther is a lot to do. i likethe Entertainment on princess better more chocies . you will fit in just fine. dave

Thanks Cruisedave!!! I'm Not A Big Party Person, Well Not Anymore!!:D

It's Good To Know, They Have Many Entertainment Options!!!!

My Main Concern, Is Just That I Don't Want To Be Bored!!!!!!

My husband and I are 50 & 49 and we have only been on 2 cruises....both Princess. The Princess ships have such a warm, nautical feeling with all the beautiful wood. I have read that Carnival has flashy neon lights and bright gaudy colors. I just love the look and feel of a Princess ship. The entertainment was great. There are production shows in the Princess theater, there were game shows in Club Fusion like trivia, the Newleywed game with couples from the audience playing the game, there was their version of American Idol, with passengers on the ship competing....it was fun to watch! Also, there are bars with piano players, and some with bands for dancing. There was always something to do. And the International Cafe in the Piazza is wonderful! I highly recommend Princess. :)

Big Jay I believe you were one of the ones who posted on my Ruby review. I've never been on Carnival so I can't give an opinion on them but as you saw I certainly very much enjoyed my cruise on Ruby. I think you would have a wonderful time aboard her

I am platinum on CCL (14 cruises) and platinum on Princess (5 cruises) and was on the Ruby last Jan.

The Ruby is far better. CCL is cutting so many corners that I don't know if I'll cruise them again. My last CCL was last summer on the Freedom and compared to when first sailed Freedom two years, it was a different cruise. Big one is cutbacks in entertainment. You'll see more shows and entertainers on a 7 day princess ship than you will on a 8 day ccl cruise. I won't even get to food which has fallen big, along with service.

Cruisers are more mature on Princess and I am not just talking about age. The lido deck on CCL can resemble a trailer park.

This summer will see us on Princess, not CCL only the third summer in the last 10 years that we are not on a CCL ship.

We are platinum on Princess and took a Carnival (Spirit) cruise over Spring Break. We took this cruise as Princess cancelled our similar itinerary (Mexican Riviera) and we really wanted to see the ports. Never again! We got a great price on Carnival but got what we paid for.

We are booked on the Ruby for the Grand Mediterranean this July and cannot wait. We have been enjoying the thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1614182

and have agreed with many of the comments. We'd clearly vote for Ruby!

msk1

Just returned from a cruise on the Ruby. I loved it. Great layout and design (though not cutting edge, if that's your type of thing). Good food. Great service. Couldn't ask for a better experience.

I just turned 30 — so on the younger side —*and I didn't feel that Princess was too sedate for me at all. There's plenty of entertainment options and if you're not into the whole corny cruise director led activities (line dances aren't my thing, for example), there are plenty of alternatives.

Been on both ships. We sail on Carnival when we bring our mid 20's kid. If you can get over polka dots and pink, Splendor might work for you.

We sail Princess when it is the 2 of us, mid 50's. I think it all depends on the itinerary and time of year, Also, length of the cruise. For example, a seven day in the Caribbean or Mexico may have a younger demographic than a 10 day. We did a 10 day on Ruby, I would say the demographic was older.

Read reviews on CC for what you are looking for. Wealth of info there.

Happy Sailing!

I've sailed on Carnival twice, and on Princess 6 times. I'm pretty much in agreement with most who responded that they'd choose Princess over Carnival.

Carnival's decor is certainly kind of Vegas tacky and flashy over Princess' more decidedly tasteful elegance. In general, I also found that Carnival's near constant ship-wide announcements over the PA and ear-splittingly loud music on the Pool Deck (even before we'd left port, mind you) and during stage shows to be VERY annoying.

I kind of feel like Princess treats people more like grownups, while Carnival treats their customers like they're not smart enough to read a printed schedule for various activities....hence the constant announcements.

I have also found fewer issues with packs of teenagers roaming the ship at all hours on Princess, something I definitely encountered on Carnival.

Carnival markets themselves on purpose as a party cruise, and I don't particularly find that it makes for a relaxing experience.

Now, that being said, I have found the staff on both lines to be very good overall. The cabins on Carnival are somewhat larger, but I find the food to e better on Princess. Princess has the lovely Sanctuary adult-only space for peace and quiet, while Carnival's version of an adult-only space on the back deck if their ships came across to me as a cheap knock-off copy.

For those who are into it, Bingo on Carnival I found to be expensive in relation to their really pitiful prizes. Carnival's Bingo games are more affordable and has much better cash prizes.

Drink prices are pretty comparable, though Princess now has a "Power Hour" drink special on certain drinks every day.

Lastly, Princess has an excellent loyalty program that offers really nice tangible benefits as you move up to Platinum and eventually Elite status. From what I can tell, Carnival doesn't currently have any program at all.

Those are just a few reasons why I tend to stick with Princess. It's not that I would never sail Carnival again, but given any other choice, they would generally be my option of last resort.

For those who are into it, Bingo on Carnival I found to be expensive in relation to their really pitiful prizes. Carnival's Bingo games are more affordable and has much better cash prizes.

Sorry, that was an error! I meant to say that PRINCESS Bingo games are more affordable and have better cash prizes. :)

Ive sailed both ships, was on the Splendor Mex Riv in Jan and I have to say it was a miserable experience all the way around. We decided to take it instead of Princess because Carnival was still going to PV and Princess was not, but in the end I regretted wasting a week on Carnival. Never again. Although it was a newish ship, the shower flooded constantly and there was a smell that was gross. Walking through the halls of the ship was gross too because of the large quantity of trays of food always in the halls, as well as large pieces of cleaning equipment blocking the walkway.

The Ruby, along with all the other ships in the fleet, is a fantastic ship, the design has a great flow, and there are lots of places to hang out. There is no comparison!

Ive sailed both ships, was on the Splendor Mex Riv in Jan and I have to say it was a miserable experience all the way around. We decided to take it instead of Princess because Carnival was still going to PV and Princess was not, but in the end I regretted wasting a week on Carnival. Never again. Although it was a newish ship, the shower flooded constantly and there was a smell that was gross. Walking through the halls of the ship was gross too because of the large quantity of trays of food always in the halls, as well as large pieces of cleaning equipment blocking the walkway.

The Ruby, along with all the other ships in the fleet, is a fantastic ship, the design has a great flow, and there are lots of places to hang out. There is no comparison!

Amelia, I agree with you! I just returned from the Splendor... I have never had such bad food than on the Splendor! It is definitely back to Princess for us.

I've Decided.... It's Going To Be The Ruby For Me!!!!! (April 2013)

I've Compared Them Both, Splendor Leaving Out Of NYC (My Homeport) $1603, Midship Inside Room On Main Deck, Ruby $1058, Midship Inside Room On Plaza Deck!!!

Ports:

Carnivial Splendor, San Juan, St. Thomas, Grand Turk, 8-Night

Ruby, Princess Cay, St. Marteen, St. Thomas, Grand Turk, 7-Night!!!

There Is No Way In He$%, I Can Justify To Spend $1603, As A Solo Cruiser On Carnivial!!!!:eek:

• 4 weeks later...
Just Returned (5-05-12) From Carnivial Freedom!! Had A Great Time, But Looking Forward To The Ruby!!!:)

Interesting you haven't looked at RCCL.... I would say if you want more "fun" upbeat atmosphere I would do Royal over Carnival... we are late 40's and early 50 and we switch between Princess,Celebrity and Royal....

You will love the Ruby... be interesting to hear about your comparisons even though two different products..

Interesting you haven't looked at RCCL... . I would say if you want more "fun" upbeat atmosphere I would do Royal over Carnival... we are late 40's and early 50 and we switch between Princess,Celebrity and Royal....

You will love the Ruby... be interesting to hear about your comparisons even though two different products..

I'm Booked 9-12 On Royal Caribbean's Freedom Of The Seas!!!:o I Also, Switch Between The Lines!! I've Sailed Royal, Carnivial, Ncl, Holland Americia!! I've Never Sailed Princess!!!

I'm Booked 9-12 On Royal Caribbean's Freedom Of The Seas!!!:o I Also, Switch Between The Lines!! I've Sailed Royal, Carnivial, Ncl, Holland Americia!! I've Never Sailed Princess!!!

Well, it just looks like you enjoy cruising period... I'm sure you'll love it too..they all have different pluses and minuses. Princess is more akin to Holland...

You left out Celebrity,their Solstice ships are great too.

And btw are you single? (No, I'm happily married) but the NY matchmaker in me is inquiring...:D

Archived