Please Help Me Decide... Princess Ruby, Or Carnivial Splendor, Anyone Done Both??

Big Jay

I've Decided.... It's Going To Be The Ruby For Me!!!!! (April 2013)

I've Compared Them Both, Splendor Leaving Out Of NYC (My Homeport) $1603, Midship Inside Room On Main Deck, Ruby $1058, Midship Inside Room On Plaza Deck!!!

Ports:

Carnivial Splendor, San Juan, St. Thomas, Grand Turk, 8-Night

Ruby, Princess Cay, St. Marteen, St. Thomas, Grand Turk, 7-Night!!!

There Is No Way In He$%, I Can Justify To Spend $1603, As A Solo Cruiser On Carnivial!!!!:eek:

We've done this itinerary several times - twice on the Ruby - you won't be disappointed! St Maarten is our fav Caribbean port and if you're into it, a trip to Orient Beach is a great way to spend the day (yes...we like the clothing optional side!). We also PREFER the Plaza level when we sail. It's economical (after all...how much time will you really spend in your room!?), easy access to the dining rooms and international cafe, but it also gives us extra exercise to hit the stairs to go to the gym or buffet! And there is no WAY you will be bored!! We have found there are times when we are trying to juggle what we want to do and can't decide! On that note...that's the primary reason we like anytime dining - so we can schedule our meal around the entertainment. Something else to think about!

Enjoy!!!!!

Lydia

I have sailed solo on Princess and enjoyed it but prefer the solo experience on Royal Caribbean, there is more that I like to do.

Just trying to be helpful, in your signature you have a few ships listed wrong. If the name of the ship contains "of the Seas" it is Royal Caribbean, not Carnival. Carnival has the Liberty. Royal Caribbean has the Liberty of the Seas. Same goes for Freedom and Freedom of the Seas

I have sailed solo on Princess and enjoyed it but prefer the solo experience on Royal Caribbean, there is more that I like to do.

Just trying to be helpful, in your signature you have a few ships listed wrong. If the name of the ship contains "of the Seas" it is Royal Caribbean, not Carnival. Carnival has the Liberty. Royal Caribbean has the Liberty of the Seas. Same goes for Freedom and Freedom of the Seas

Is This Better???:)

I'm A Young (45) Man Sailing Solo!! I've Cruised Carnivial Plenty Of Times In The Past, But Never Cruised Princess!!!

I've Been Doing My Homework, And The Ruby Is A VERY Pretty Ship!!!

Are The Cruisers Older On Princess, Than Carnivial??

How Is The Entertainment??

Any Advice/Help Will Be Greatly Appreciated!!!

Big Jay, you did not say where it is your are sailing from, that would help on the age thing. I have sailed Carnivial Splendor and it is a very clean and smart ship. Yes it would most likley have more younger passengers on board. I would tell you that Princess Ships are very nice/smart and clean also. The only trouble with the Carnivial Splendor to me was it did not feel warm and friendly like on Princess Ships. You would need to say where you are cruising from and how long for a better explnation.

COP

Big Jay, you did not say where it is your are sailing from, that would help on the age thing. I have sailed Carnivial Splendor and it is a very clean and smart ship. Yes it would most likley have more younger passengers on board. I would tell you that Princess Ships are very nice/smart and clean also. The only trouble with the Carnivial Splendor to me was it did not feel warm and friendly like on Princess Ships. You would need to say where you are cruising from and how long for a better explnation.

COP

I "WAS" Going To Sail The Carnivial Splendor Out Of My Homeport (NYC), But Instead I Will Be Sailing Ruby Out Of Fort Lauderdale!! Carnivial Splendor 8-Night Sailing, Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Thomas $1603!! Princess Ruby 7-Night Princess Cay, St. Marteen, St. Thomas, Grand Turk $1058!!!! For $1603 I Can Cruise, Buy Air, Transfers, Shore Excursions, And Go To Two More Islands!!!!!:)

We just did a cruise on the Ruby this past November. We found that the experience overall on Ruby was not much different than our 3 cruises on Royal Caribbean. I generally like the layout on Royal Caribbean ships somewhat better, but the MDR food on Ruby Princess was more consistently very good to excellent and we thought the the service was comparable - excellent. I think the production shows are also consistently very good. If you already like Royal Caribbean, I think you'll like Princess as well. Princess is more comparable to RC than to Carnival. Age-wise my wife is about your age and I'm somewhat older, but there was a variety of ages on the ship. You shouldn't feel out of place at all.

We've done this itinerary several times - twice on the Ruby - you won't be disappointed! St Maarten is our fav Caribbean port and if you're into it, a trip to Orient Beach is a great way to spend the day (yes...we like the clothing optional side!). We also PREFER the Plaza level when we sail. It's economical (after all...how much time will you really spend in your room!?), easy access to the dining rooms and international cafe, but it also gives us extra exercise to hit the stairs to go to the gym or buffet! And there is no WAY you will be bored!! We have found there are times when we are trying to juggle what we want to do and can't decide! On that note...that's the primary reason we like anytime dining - so we can schedule our meal around the entertainment. Something else to think about!

Enjoy!!!!!

Lydia

Thanks For Your Reply Lydia!!! It Definatley Made Me Feel As I Made The Right Choice!!! I'm Definatley Going To Take Your Advise On Orient Beach! You Only Live Once!!!;)

I'm 27, and I sailed on the Ruby Princess at age 25 doing the exact same itinerary you're doing. I loved it! There is plenty to do for any age. There were more older people on this cruise than previous Princess cruises I had done, but I think that's because I sailed in January, rather than a typical vacation week. However, there were still plenty of people my age that I had no problem finding.

I think either one will be fine.

My only objection:( is what someone called the Carnival ship. The "party" ship. It is possible that Carnival ship/s (I've done more than one) used to be "party" ships, but I don't find them that way. I have never seen anything out of the way in regard to someone partying on the ship. I am over 50, but we love to have a good/great time too, and we do on Carnival ships, as well as Princess. I would say that it is possible (even on Princess ships) for people to come back from the island, and having too much to drink, etc. and maybe that is where that came from.

We did Ruby last year and Splendor in March of this year. Last year just my husband and me - this year, daughter, son-in-law, two granddaughters, husband and me. Except for having family with us this year (nothing better than grandchildren), Ruby won hands down. Great ship!! You make the right choice.

Been on both ships. We sail on Carnival when we bring our mid 20's kid. If you can get over polka dots and pink, Splendor might work for you.

We sail Princess when it is the 2 of us, mid 50's. I think it all depends on the itinerary and time of year, Also, length of the cruise. For example, a seven day in the Caribbean or Mexico may have a younger demographic than a 10 day. We did a 10 day on Ruby, I would say the demographic was older.

Read reviews on CC for what you are looking for. Wealth of info there.

Happy Sailing!

Going my my 45+ cruise, have never been on Carnival. We have been on the Rudy twice is a great ship. We cruise Princess. Celebrity, HAL, and Cunard. Our grandson cruises Carnival.

But that being said, I agree, depends on the itinerary, lenght of cruise and time of the year.

You really have made the right choice. We are 55 and 59 and have taken 20+ cruises....2 on Carnival. The only reason we took a second one on Carnival because we believed that the first experience was so terrible, it had to be an anomaly. It wasn't...in fact it was worse. Bad food, rooms dirty, children running through the dining rooms and turning over chairs, the cruise director appeared to be drunk the entire time and staggered everyhere, even in port. One time he didn't even know the name of the ship. It was a disaster from start to finish.

Archived