Enchanment 4/16-We deserved better!!!!

As a customer you always bear that risk, but there are certain things not controlable (ie weather) BUT having sound equipment is the responsibility of RCL. They failed in that responsibility and the passengers paid the price. Also if the there was a safety issue, we should have been taken off the ship.

Ok, so you have never had an unexpected flat tire while driving down the road, you have never had a dead battery in the rain, you have never had a water pump go out while driving, your vehicle has never overheated..........

The ship is a vehicle which has a lot of useage year round. I wish I could predict when my battery is going to go dead or my tire goes flat.

First of all I know all about the language contained in the RCL brochure. As a customer you always bear that risk, but there are certain things not controlable (ie weather) BUT having sound equipment is the responsibility of RCL. They failed in that responsibility and the passengers paid the price. Also if the there was a safety issue, we should have been taken off the ship. The possibility of another port was something brought up by their crew not our idea. Technically the Enchanment was off the coast of Miami before Midnight if not sooner, the rush to get back was for concern of futures voyages not that the one sailing. Their marketing people will tell you that one of the key reasons passengers pick cruises is the ports of call, If you miss a port because of their problems, yes everyone should be issued a refund. A $200 on board credit to passengers who were delayed in getting to one distatination and deferred from another is an insult. I still feel that if you pay more, then your refund should be proportionate.

Your post raises a few questions:

1. Not all crew are knowledgeable about what the ship's Captain is/isn't going to do. How did you know that your crew sources were credible?

2. Isn't the contract written so broadly that missing a port for any reason is covered? As for RCL's responsibility for the engine problems, it sounds as if you're assuming this was due to faulty maintainence. However, things do break unexpectedly.

3. If the Captain needed to have the engine fixed in a port, wouldn't you rather have been in FL than stuck in some port of call and missed your flights, etc.?

4. I'm trying to understand your point about the onboard credit, but I feel as though $200 for everyone--given the circumstances--is fair compensation, given that you made it to Jamaica.

5. Was there anything positive about this cruise?

Last year on our Explorer cruise we were scheduled to sail to Labadee, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. What we actually got was Nassau (Haiti was under civil war so we didn't go to Labadee), Jamaica, and Cozumel (notice NO Grand Cayman! Due to high winds). Anyway, I had selected this itinerary because Labadee is my favorite port and as luck (or bad luck) would have it I didn't get to go there on this trip. We didn't get any onboard credit, future cruise credit, free drinks, NADA. Did I care? Well, I was disappointed not to go to Labadee, and we did have an excursion booked in Cayman that never happened, but even with the altered itinerary and missed port we had an awesome trip and it never crossed my mind that I was "owed" anything.

We were on SeaDream I (formerly Seabourn's Sea Goddess I) in November of 2001 and missed a port in Spain because of rough waves' date=' and had the main itinerary changed for 9/11 reasons. We were supposed to go to Casablanca, Morocco, and they cancelled that and substituted the Canary Islands. We signed up for the cruise specifically to go to Casablanca.

Anyway, Sea Dream is right up there with Crystal, Radisson, Seabourn, etc. in price, and we got not squat for our "pain and suffering". And it never occurred to us to whine and complain about it. What is WRONG with us???? :D

Allen[/quote']

Don't you feel stupid now, Allen? :D You could have come on here, and complained, and started a crusade and I am sure that they would have well compensted you. I sure know I would have shown you the support I am offering now. Of course, in those days I was a little less diplomatic here. I try to be nice now!!!!!:eek:

jc

Their marketing people will tell you that one of the key reasons passengers pick cruises is the ports of call, If you miss a port because of their problems, yes everyone should be issued a refund. A $200 on board credit to passengers who were delayed in getting to one distatination and deferred from another is an insult. I still feel that if you pay more, then your refund should be proportionate.

Yes, this is true--and I wish that the industry would re-think this approach--but I think that it's also incumbent upon the cruiser to do the research before they plunk down the big bucks to see what is included, what is not included, what is promised--and what is not--and to closely read that contract.

Last year on our Explorer cruise we were scheduled to sail to Labadee, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. What we actually got was Nassau (Haiti was under civil war so we didn't go to Labadee), Jamaica, and Cozumel (notice NO Grand Cayman! Due to high winds). Anyway, I had selected this itinerary because Labadee is my favorite port and as luck (or bad luck) would have it I didn't get to go there on this trip. We didn't get any onboard credit, future cruise credit, free drinks, NADA. Did I care? Well, I was disappointed not to go to Labadee, and we did have an excursion booked in Cayman that never happened, but even with the altered itinerary and missed port we had an awesome trip and it never crossed my mind that I was "owed" anything.

Hey one of my all-time favorite posters! Hi Bonnie!!!!

Good to see you again, hope all is well with you. I just noticed that you have a picture in the avatar spot... May I be presumptuous that I am seeing a picture of Bonnie? :D

Hope you are well, don't be a stranger, you can always find me on these threads. :D

jc

It seems the Enchantment has had engine problems several times in the past few months. Is this something that the upcoming drydock will address?? I'm all for the stretch and beautification, but a sound mechanical ship is as much of a priority as a bungee trampoline.

You are absolutely right!!! I mean you booked your cruise, paid a lot of money, read all the fine print, knew the possibiblity existed that you may not reach all ports listed in your itinerary - Boarded the ship with this knowledge and you are still expecting RCI to personally knock on your door and kiss your greedy behind? :rolleyes: Why??? They gave you $200 for the inconvenience of missing a port AND $200 towards another cruise. More than you deserve.

Re-do your math, it was $200 per room not person. Some staterooms had 4 people in them, $50 a person now that is worth it......

Customer Service is every cruise line responsibility. If I screw up with something on my clients, I pay they dont. Here we paid. That $200 PER ROOM was an insult, they had a captive client who could do nothing but return the money back to them over 3 days.

The analogy regarding the flat tire is a good one. I have had plenty of flat tires, and dead batteries, but guess what I footed the bill, not the passenger i took.

Want to afford a suite, start thinking customer first, it works. You will get there.

Taken over a dozen cruises, but what does that have to do with it. Have two recourses, one never sail RCL again, and two, make sure I let it known to others what I think of RCL.

Didnt know their was a senority level you had to reach to post on here.

Well I guess we are just behind the times. Nowadays the battle cry is "Compensation, Big Time!" I also missed Labadee once and was sort of hoping for a free drink.

Didn't happen though.

And once, the ship I was on went dead in the water for a few hours. Did get a few free drinks for that one. Boy, was I happy.

Guess I look rather foolish now.

celtic

Guest OBAYbee
... you are still expecting RCI to personally knock on your door and kiss your greedy behind? :rolleyes: Why??? They gave you $200 for the inconvenience of missing a port AND $200 towards another cruise. More than you deserve.

Was this REALLY necessary?

You are absolutely right!!! I mean you booked your cruise, paid a lot of money, read all the fine print, knew the possibiblity existed that you may not reach all ports listed in your itinerary - Boarded the ship with this knowledge and you are still expecting RCI to personally knock on your door and kiss your greedy behind? :rolleyes: Why??? They gave you $200 for the inconvenience of missing a port AND $200 towards another cruise. More than you deserve.

Too much Tequila effecting your reading. Each stateroom got $200 TOTAL for all in the room, by the way a credit they normally give out as a promotion. If they have had a history of mechanical problems like stated above, then they shouldnt of sailed. Buyer beware is one thing, deceit is another.

Sorry I am not drinking the RCL kool-aid that appears the favorite of so many. By the way, my greedy ass took care of the crew above and beyond the norm in regards to gratuity. I have a bitch with the cruise line not the staff.

Re-do your math, it was $200 per room not person. Some staterooms had 4 people in them, $50 a person now that is worth it......

Customer Service is every cruise line responsibility. If I screw up with something on my clients, I pay they dont. Here we paid. That $200 PER ROOM was an insult, they had a captive client who could do nothing but return the money back to them over 3 days.

The analogy regarding the flat tire is a good one. I have had plenty of flat tires, and dead batteries, but guess what I footed the bill, not the passenger i took.

Want to afford a suite, start thinking customer first, it works. You will get there.

Taken over a dozen cruises, but what does that have to do with it. Have two recourses, one never sail RCL again, and two, make sure I let it known to others what I think of RCL.

You don't need a seniority level to post. You can also choose not to sail RCL again; no one is disputing that. However, because of the contract, as you know, they don't have to give you anything. Personally, I'd be fine with the credit/discount, but that's me.

You had a cruise. You drank, ate, and went to Jamaica. I understand, however, that you are disappointed, but missing one port, IMHO, is not cause for a full refund.

Wait..let me get this straight? RCI is asking YOU to pay for the engine repair? Otherwise..how are you footing the bill for the repair. YOU footed the bill for the cruise..not the repair.

Too much Tequila effecting your reading. Each stateroom got $200 TOTAL for all in the room, by the way a credit they normally give out as a promotion. If they have had a history of mechanical problems like stated above, then they shouldnt of sailed. Buyer beware is one thing, deceit is another.

Sorry I am not drinking the RCL kool-aid that appears the favorite of so many. By the way, my greedy ass took care of the crew above and beyond the norm in regards to gratuity. I have a bitch with the cruise line not the staff.

Wow. You sure are mad.

I would be mad if my itinerary was shortened, but exactly how many days/hours was your cruise cut short? Was it just 6 hours? or a whole Day?

I would have enjoyed the time at sea...heck, I'm not at work!

You do not have to complain more than once to be credible, but I am wondering why we did not hear the good stuff about the "more than dozen cruises" that you have taken. We only hear the bad stuff? So you got $200.00 on board credit and a $200.00 future cruise credit. Wow. Take it an run. Can you use it towards Celebrity so that you do not have to go in RCCL again?

Well, I'd like to hear more about the "history of mechanical problems," particularly since I'm sailing Enchantment in 2 months or so. Anybody else know about the specifics on engine troubles before we start using words like deceit and things get blown out of proportion? :confused:

And FTLOM, I wish we could stop with the "kool-aid" thing (Jungle, you're not the only person who has done it, so chill). This is a problem on a cruise ship, not the mass murder of 900 people. I'm not trying to dictate what people write on here, but that phrase just reduces a huge tragedy to a quip, and I just wanted to say that.

OK, we get the picture of what you think of RCI.

Your mission has been accomplished.

Now do you get the picture that no one really thinks you were cheated and screwed but yourself?

celtic

You got a $200 credit towards a future cruise, on top of a $200 credit? Congrats - you got more than people who missed 2 1/2 days of cruising and had to reschedule flights. Take that $100 and run with it.

I would have made the best of this. The more I cruise (going on my third one 1/14/06), the less I really expect from the ports - it's not the reason I cruise. Really just enjoy the time on the boat, on my balcony or enjoying some cocktails in my favorite onboard bar - as another poster said, I'm not at work!!! I would have seen the $200 as a bonus and treasured it.

We missed GC on the Enchantment once. We got a free screwdriver or bloody Mary for an hour 11:00-am until 12:00. Who really drinks at 11am? Not usually me, but that day I did :)

Me!! Me!!! You know it's always 5 o'clock somewhere!!!!!

celtic

Archived