travel insurance

kcep02

Can someone tell me what I need to look for in coverage when purchasing travel insurace. The plan I was looking at the evcation was $100,000 for the basic plan and the next level coverage was $500,000.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

IMO $25,000 to $50,000 would be minimum for medical coverage, and $50,000 to $100,000 would be minimin for Emergency Evacuation. IMO always purchase w/in the 7-21 days required by Insurer to get "Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions. If traveling with a travel companion, look at policies that include "Single Supplement" which pays any fare increase if your cabin mate cancels. Some miscellaneous stuff:

The Carnival Berkely Policy provides IMO low Medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and no "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions". The Policy DOES include cancellation coverage for Hurricane Warning and Job Layoff, a 75% Cancel for Any Reason Future Cruise CREDIT and coverage for Early Saver Cancellation penalties . If you cancel your Cruise before final Payment and haven’t yet made a claim, the Carnival Policy premium is refundable. The Policy now covers your independently purchased AirFare. The Carnival Policy is less expensive than the 3rd party policies if you're age is in the 70’s, as Age is not factored into Carnival Berkely’s premium as it is with 3rd Party Policies.

The 3rd Party Trip Insurance Policies such as CSA, Travel-Ex and Travel-Insured offer higher coverages and are less expensive, particularly if you're younger. They generally include "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (which can expedite the claims process) if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of your Cruise Deposit; CSA allows you to purchase up to Final Payment and retain the Waiver. Otherwise, you can purchase Carnival Berkely Insurance up to 14 days before sailaway, and you can purchase most other policies practically up to sailaway. You MUST be physically fit to travel the day you purchase.

Most Policies are “Secondary” meaning that you have to first file claims with your own Health and/or Homeowners Insurance , then the 3rd party Policy will pay what your insurance doesn’t pay (up to the limits of the policy). Primary Policies pay everything (up to limits of the Policy) without requiring you to first file and coordinate benefits with your personal policies, which can help expedite the claims process by avoiding “coordination of benefits” with your own Health Policy.

“Cancel for Any Reason” coverage is usually offered as an option, usually for additional 50% of the premium. It’s important to read the associated Policy as many policies do not pay 100% and many policies pay LESS the later you cancel. Third Party Policies offering the Cancel for Any Reason option require that you purchase the Policy within 14-21 days of your cruise deposit. The Princess Berkely Policy and now the Carnival Berkely Policy include75% Cancel for Any Reason Future Cruise CREDIT.

You need to select a Policy at least somewhat based on your own situation/concerns (if traveling with kids, if prior medical conditions, if over age 70, if Military, if concerned about LayOff, if you’re concerned with possible school year extensions, if you’re a Policeman or firefighter….:

TravelEx and TravelInsured selected policies insure kids free with insured adults.

USAA offers their members discounted Travel-Insured Policies with some expanded coverages.

TravelEX is PRIMARY and includes kids under 16 free and offers a Business/Military upgrade.

CSA Freestyle includes Cancellation for Layoff and for School Year Extension and a Network of Providers in most locations.

Patriot TRIP is PRIMARY coverage and includes Cancellation for Layoff, Cancelled Leave for Military, Fire & Police and Missed Cruise for Flight Delay.

TravelSafe includes Cancel for Hurricane Warning and Cancel for Any Reason (not always 100%).

You can compare Policies and Premiums for your specific age, destination, dates and cruise costs, at the Insurer's sites or at sites such as http://www.insuremytrip.com and http://www.buyamericaninsurance.com . Note that some Policies also have a $6 or $8 application Fee added-on.

If you're not into Research, checkout CSA Freestyle, and TravelInsured Trip Protector and AIG TravelGuard Premier Protect.

FIRST check your personal Health Plan for out-of-country medical and MedEvac coverage, your Homeowners Insurance for Personal Property coverage, and your Credit Card for Trip Cancellation/Interruption, AD&D coverage, and Baggage Loss/Delay coverage and Rental Car CDW coverage!!

ken

check out travel guard website. the gold plan seems to be very popular.

I agree...we always use this plan and have had to use it in the past for a medical emergency back home while we were cruising in Alaska. The company was very easy to work with and we were reimbursed within 6 weeks. Also, in some states (I live in PA) children (I think under 18) are automatically covered and there is no fee for them. Just check with the company to make sure.

We will never travel without insurance especially since that experience because you just never know.

Hope this helps!

I filed claims on behalf of clients a number of times. Coverage limits are a very important consideration, but my first criteria is PRIMARY payor. If your travel insurance is primary, filing a claim is so much less complicated. We usually buy Travelex as soon as we book so they waive the pre-existing condition exclusion.

Also... 5% cashback w/ your Discover Card ... but it's called Travel Guard V.I.P. - I haven't compared the policies between V.I.P and Gold yet, but V.I.P. was cheaper than the Basic policy on insuremytrip dot com

What kind of coverage limits do you look for???

Emergency medical, Evacuation and trip cancelation??? I am not to worried about my luggage being loss. I worry more about needing to be airlifed home or if husband was to die could I travel home with body and getting remains home. If I miss the ship due to weather it is nice if insurance helped but I can not cover a emergency flight to the states.

Please can someone help me with some amounts to look for. Ages 56 female,55male and 29female. So much to look at and understand. Should the cost for us three be about $210???

Thanks for your help.

What kind of coverage limits do you look for???

Emergency medical, Evacuation and trip cancelation??? I am not to worried about my luggage being loss. I worry more about needing to be airlifed home or if husband was to die could I travel home with body and getting remains home. If I miss the ship due to weather it is nice if insurance helped but I can not cover a emergency flight to the states.

Please can someone help me with some amounts to look for. Ages 56 female,55male and 29female. So much to look at and understand. Should the cost for us three be about $210???

Thanks for your help.

See my Post, #2 above.

IMO you'd be safe with minimim $50,000 Medical and $100,000 Emergency Evacuation.

IMO you should purchase ASAP upon booking your cruise so as to get "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" which takes care of any existing medical issues (you can purchase CSA up to Final Cruise Payment and get this Waiver - and CSA looks to be a good Policy).

IMO try to get a Policy that covers 150% for Trip Interruption for better coverage in the "I missed the ship and have to catch-up" or "I have to return home mid-cruise" scenarios.

If all other factors are equal, a PRIMARY policy makes filing a claim easier and faster.

If you're "Military Eligible" USAA offers TravelInsured Policies at a slightly lower premium and with some expanded coverage and extras to benefit Military.

The premiums are based on the cost and length of the cruise and are a bit higher each for those mid-50's passengers, so maybe $100 each for the mid-50's and $70 each for the almost 30......but that's totally a guess.

With the 3rd party Policies like CSA, TravelInsured, TravelEx..... the premium is based on cost and age. You can insure the Cruise, Airfare, and nonrefundable hotel (you could book a hotel that you can cancel the day before or day of arrival).

ken

check out travel guard website. the gold plan seems to be very popular.

Travel Guard is unquestionably the best policy if you are traveling with minors. The rates are not always the best if only adults are being insured. And if you are insuring seniors over the age of 60, Carnival is often the cheapest option available. Travel Guard, CSA, etc. will charge hundreds of dollars per person for seniors.

Archived