How low can you go??

cluelyss18

Shop for hiking/backpacking clothes. Microfiber is thinner, lighter, and cooler. Walmart has a good selection for activewear, and REI(they have a website) has thin light dresses and pants as well as great travel bottles for toiletries and handwashing detergent for doing laundry.

Wear the bulkiest clothes on airplane, will help you stay warmer durring flight too as it's sometimes chilly.

I got 8 days of backpacking gear; clothes, tent, rain jacket, sleeping bag, stove, pot, food, first aid, and water filter in a 65L backpack.

I can get 7 days worth of stuff in a 45 linear inch carry and have room to hold some of my fiancee's stuff :P

I have just finished packing today for our cruise next week. Taking 2 medium suitcases (24") for 4 people, which includes a 2 year old that still uses diapers (and the diapers are IN the suitcases!). Clothes are all rolled. The kids clothes I have separated into ziplock baggies to compress space. That really works!

There's enough clothes for each of us to wear for 4 days without repeating anything, with a few extra shirts thrown in. I plan to do laundry (either in the sink or machine, I have soap for either) midway through.

Funnily enough, my husband has more clothes in the suitcases than I do. He has 8 shirts, 4 pairs of pants! I have 6 shirts, 1 pair of pants (4 dresses though!).

Really, roll everything. That's the best for space saving without using compression bags. If you don't care about repeating clothes, pack for 1/2 the trip, wash clothes. It can definitely be done if you don't care about having tons of choices!

Man I envy you. We have two small suitcases, and a big one, plus carry on and a cooler with wine and soda. We have two adults and a baby. DDs clothes don't take up that much space, but the diapers really do. I did the ziplock thing with DDs clothes also. We are going to be gone 10 days, so I needed to pack lots of diapers. Plus, its impossible for me and DD both to wear a single outfit all day without getting it stained by something (I am accident prone and DD is a baby!). I do plan on wearing shorts and skirts two to three times each, but had to have a shirt for day and one for dinner each day. And we had to bring DDs bunny rabbit, because she won't sleep without it. If I get time to repack I might be able to consolidate DH's suitcase into the carry on and other suitcases. We will see.

We are driving so the biggest issue for me is how we are going to navigate and get all of our stuff into the shuttle bus, with a baby, stroller and carseat.

Man I envy you. We have two small suitcases, and a big one, plus carry on and a cooler with wine and soda. We have two adults and a baby. DDs clothes don't take up that much space, but the diapers really do. I did the ziplock thing with DDs clothes also. We are going to be gone 10 days, so I needed to pack lots of diapers. Plus, its impossible for me and DD both to wear a single outfit all day without getting it stained by something (I am accident prone and DD is a baby!). I do plan on wearing shorts and skirts two to three times each, but had to have a shirt for day and one for dinner each day. And we had to bring DDs bunny rabbit, because she won't sleep without it. If I get time to repack I might be able to consolidate DH's suitcase into the carry on and other suitcases. We will see.

We are driving so the biggest issue for me is how we are going to navigate and get all of our stuff into the shuttle bus, with a baby, stroller and carseat.

We're driving as well, and will be away from home for 10 days as well! I have twice as many diapers as I think we will need, just in case! Never a good idea to underpack when it comes to diapers.

Thankfully, we don't have to deal with shuttles, strollers, or car seats. I'm using a baby carrier (OnyaBaby) so we don't need the stroller. We aren't planning on using vehicles in port, so no car seats. Our older is 4, so that would be 2 seats! :eek:

Now that the airlines are all in a charge for what you take mode and aiming for a 50 pound limit, we decided to dump our old suitcases - good ones, but heavy ones.

All loaded up my 30" case tipped the scales at 52 pounds. Our 26" came in at a little over 48 pounds. The 30" weighed over 16 pounds EMPTY. The 26 was 13. So now our new big boy is 11 and the smaller one is 9 lbs.

We had to take clothes for the 16 days and part of that problem was having dress clothes for those formal nites. Combine the clothes you need and a 50 pound limit and it's tough. This fall we are going on a 17 day cruise and so getting lighter cases was mandatory. We didn't use the smaller cases that we have, but we will this time and put them in the overhead. Gotta have room for gifts - just gotta.:rolleyes:

Usually we pack a 22" carryon per person and a tote no matter how long the trip is. Last 9 day cruise DH & I packed into a 25" for the both of us (we drove to port).

The key to packing light, IMHO, is the ability to wear clothes mutliple times. Washing if necessary. Limit the amount of shoes, at the most I bring 5 pair- walking, sandals, water, pool and 'dress'. Many times I bring only 2 pair - sandals and ballet flats.

3 bottoms and 7 tops is 21 different outfits. Febreez is your friend.

LMAO when I read this. I usually bring a travel size lysol spray to spray the room down when we walk in, I'll have to add Febreez to that list as well! Thanks for the tip.

I agree on the rolling, really saves room. Don't forget to stuff the shoes.

:eek:Why did I never think to do this? Last year I brought 4 pairs of heels...I could have stuffed them with undergarments or tanks!

We're driving as well, and will be away from home for 10 days as well! I have twice as many diapers as I think we will need, just in case! Never a good idea to underpack when it comes to diapers.

Thankfully, we don't have to deal with shuttles, strollers, or car seats. I'm using a baby carrier (OnyaBaby) so we don't need the stroller. We aren't planning on using vehicles in port, so no car seats. Our older is 4, so that would be 2 seats! :eek:

I do not envy those with babies. I know what I take with me to the MALL for two hours when I take my niece, I can't imagine for a trip!

Now that the airlines are all in a charge for what you take mode and aiming for a 50 pound limit, we decided to dump our old suitcases - good ones, but heavy ones.

All loaded up my 30" case tipped the scales at 52 pounds. Our 26" came in at a little over 48 pounds. The 30" weighed over 16 pounds EMPTY. The 26 was 13. So now our new big boy is 11 and the smaller one is 9 lbs.

We had to take clothes for the 16 days and part of that problem was having dress clothes for those formal nites. Combine the clothes you need and a 50 pound limit and it's tough. This fall we are going on a 17 day cruise and so getting lighter cases was mandatory. We didn't use the smaller cases that we have, but we will this time and put them in the overhead. Gotta have room for gifts - just gotta.:rolleyes:

I'm sure I could look this up on the airline website, but I'm lazy. What is the size limit for a carry on? That would fit in an overhead.

We (Mom and teen boy) took one carry ons apiece for us total for a 7 day and for 9 day (5+4 B2B). Did Laundry mid trip. I wouldn't take a hairdryer.

I met a lady yesterday who took a carryon ONLY for 2 weeks on the Costa Concordia (they got off one week before sinking!) and she took One carry on. (that's it! She doesn't like to mess with luggage!!) She said she took a couple change of clothes and two shoes and if wanted something different to wear she'd just buy it. She said she even left a pair of shoes behind!

(off point - she said she'd sail Costa again)

What is the lightest you have ever packed for a cruise? 7 day or longer....and what are your packing tips??

I cut the baggage fees in half, and was happy with the compromise. My hubby and I each packed a carryon, and shared 1 large suitcase. I would love to be able to pack just a carry on for each of us, but I just don't think that is possible.

I took 2 pairs of dress pants, both black, that I wore with different tops from dressy to casual for dinner. Took 3 or 4 pairs of underware/socks, a pair of jeans, 2 or 3 pairs of shorts, a couple tshirts, and only 3 pairs of shoes - 1 pair tennis shoes, 1 pair flip flops, and my black crocks, that I could wear with a swim suit or the black pants to dinner.

Also took 2 swim suits, 2 black sweaters, and a cover-up. I sent out laundry twice, a great platinum perk. I was able to hand wash the dress pants. They are great for travel, don't wrinkle, and drip dry.

To be honest, I wear my swim suit and cover up more than anything else on the cruise.

I actually need a checked bag when I fly for the suntan lotion, etc. I'm not going to drive myself crazy trying to get rid of 1 checked bag.

I do not envy those with babies. I know what I take with me to the MALL for two hours when I take my niece, I can't imagine for a trip!

We travel quite a bit (short distance, weekend trips, etc.) with our kids, and after practice, you get it down to a science. And I have no problems with washing something in the sink and letting it dry overnight for use the next day.

Also, I would be able to pack for myself in just a carry-on, no problems. But then...I only take 1 pair of shoes. I wear casual sandals that I can walk for miles in (hideously ugly, but oh so comfy), and pack 1 pair of dress sandals. If I have extra space, I pack watershoes, but those aren't mandatory. ;)

Archived