How low can you go??

cluelyss18

What is the lightest you have ever packed for a cruise? 7 day or longer....and what are your packing tips??

I have a bet going with my mom...I said I didn't want to pay the baggage fee of $25 per flight(totals $100) on our upcoming cruise, so I plan to fit all my belongings in a carry-on bag.

No one thinks I will be able to do this...so I need some ideas!!!

I'm planning on sundresses for most days, re-wearing(a first for me) jeans or pants for dinners, a few nice tops, fancy dress, swim suits, one or two pairs of flip flops, sneakers, dryer, flat iron, etc.....

Thanks in advance!!! :D

Dh & I did 5 nights at WDW, a 5 night cruise and then 4 more nights at WDW out of 1 carry on (largest size allowed by Spirit) and 2 back packs.

No real secrets besides packing light, did laundry 3x, at the first condo Disney, then on the ship & then again at the last condo. All travel sized toiletries. To save room we wore our jeans, sneakers, hoodie with t-shirt underneath AND windbreakers onto the plane. (NJ in Jan) Only 1 other pair of shoes & flip flops for me, 1 other pair of shoes for dh to wear to dinners..

It was a challenge but it was also nice not to lug around a bunch of crap we didn't need. Also made for real easy packing up on each leg of the trip:)

Lots of mix and match around same basic neutral color, in my case black. This way I only bring one pair fancy black flip flops, black beach flip flops, etc. I bring lots of sheer blouses or cover ups to put over basic black dress, black tank top with capris, etc. A tank top I wear under a sheer blouse early in cruise for dinner, I will wear during day later in cruise. I take OTC meds out of the boxes and xerox the instructions. Basically, I make everything as compact as possible. I have travelled up to 10 days and I DO NOT do laundry on vacation. I also bring a large tote-style purse to carry some of the "overflow" that doesn't fit in carryon. Also, wear your bulkier clothes: athletic shoes, jeans, hoodie, jacket. The scarf I wear to keep me warm while traveling, I use over a tank top or dress on cruise. With just a few basic pieces of wardrobe, you might be able to pull off 3-4 different combinations. DH travels alot for business and has taught us well how to get by with less and not check luggage. We may, however, check a piece going back, if DH decides to pick up some bottles of adult beverages that are greater than the allowable 3.4 oz. :D

We always try to do 7 day cruises, and we always fly to the Port. We always plan to be in the port town the day before and after the cruise. We will not pay airport fees for luggage. The three of us each carry a beach tote bag or small school style backpack and a wheeled carry-on that fits in the overhead. So we average 5-6 pieces for all 3 of us ( our daughter just takes the roll-on usually).

We have never had a problem for the 9-10 days gone, AND we have never done laundry. 2 shoes each, one long pants each, we wear numerous items twice, though we do NOT carry formal clothes, which often takes a lot of space up for folks.

Dh & I did 5 nights at WDW, a 5 night cruise and then 4 more nights at WDW out of 1 carry on (largest size allowed by Spirit) and 2 back packs.

No real secrets besides packing light, did laundry 3x, at the first condo Disney, then on the ship & then again at the last condo. All travel sized toiletries. To save room we wore our jeans, sneakers, hoodie with t-shirt underneath AND windbreakers onto the plane. (NJ in Jan) Only 1 other pair of shoes & flip flops for me, 1 other pair of shoes for dh to wear to dinners..

It was a challenge but it was also nice not to lug around a bunch of crap we didn't need. Also made for real easy packing up on each leg of the trip:)

Wow packed for 2 on spirit.We can barely get 2 checked bags and our allowed carry ons.I guess if you do laundry or are platinum its could be easy.It would make travel easy though

Pack nothing but credit cards, cash, and ID and you're good to go.

Find a good charity to donate purchases to (tax deduction), and your good to come back.:D

I like this idea! Although it would make my trip much much more expensive!

Last year when we went to Disney and to visit his parents we were there for 10 days total, we did laundry before we left there house to head to WDW so that does help alot...how is laundry on the ship? anyone know the cost? I've never done it, so I don't know.

Lots of mix and match around same basic neutral color, in my case black. This way I only bring one pair fancy black flip flops, black beach flip flops, etc. I bring lots of sheer blouses or cover ups to put over basic black dress, black tank top with capris, etc. A tank top I wear under a sheer blouse early in cruise for dinner, I will wear during day later in cruise. I take OTC meds out of the boxes and xerox the instructions. Basically, I make everything as compact as possible. I have travelled up to 10 days and I DO NOT do laundry on vacation. I also bring a large tote-style purse to carry some of the "overflow" that doesn't fit in carryon. Also, wear your bulkier clothes: athletic shoes, jeans, hoodie, jacket. The scarf I wear to keep me warm while traveling, I use over a tank top or dress on cruise. With just a few basic pieces of wardrobe, you might be able to pull off 3-4 different combinations. DH travels alot for business and has taught us well how to get by with less and not check luggage. We may, however, check a piece going back, if DH decides to pick up some bottles of adult beverages that are greater than the allowable 3.4 oz. :D

This sounds like me! My first cruise ever....all I brought were teal things. It was my color of the year. That included 8 pairs of teal shoes!!!1:eek:

roll dresses/shirts. Its amazing what you can get into those corners of a suitcase. Bring a tote bag along with your carryon (as your personal item).. Throw your purse in the tote bag, and other necessities (makeup bag, curling iron, shoes). I have tied a pair of tennies one time to the outside of my carry on luggage, lol... noone said a thing, and it saved some space.. Got lots of comments on what a great idea that was.

7 night cruise - dh and I each had a wheeled carry on and I had a tote bag.

My best advice - limit the number of shoes you take - I wore tennies, and took water sandals, nice walking sandals, and dress shoes - for a total of 4 pairs. Shoes take up way too much space! Wear jeans and your bulkiest top, so you don't have to pack them.

Gently lay all of your clothes (except undergarments) on top of each other, with the most wrinkle-prone items on the bottom, then roll it all into one big clothes log, making sure that the width is not more than the length of your bag. This past trip I actually had slacks, capris, a skirt, 2 pair of shorts, NINE shirts (including the "elegant" tops) all in the bag! Plus swimsuits, coverup, undergarments, etc... I was really amazed at how much stuff I could pack into a carry on doing the roll method.

Someone commented that it's easier if you do laundry - sure it is, but it isn't necessary. I still had plenty of room for enough undergarments for a 7 day, and even more bottoms if I had wanted.

I switched to a Nook this year so I don't have to carry lots of books - I used to pack one for each cruise day. :eek: My nook, camera, jewelry, magazines, and of course ziplock of fluids go in my tote.

I know this was not on a cruise...but a 10-day 98 mile backpacking trip in the mountains of NM. I had a total loadout of 37 pounds!!! :eek:

That included my food, tent, sleeping bag, a couple changes of clothes and my raingear (and campsuds to clean clothes, dishes, myself, etc.)

Wear one set of clothes one day, while having the otherset dry while hanging off your backpack!

Wonder how well I can do on cruise!!! (not really going to try, would be bored of the same two sets of clothes REAL fast)

Now my DW on the other hand...

Last year when we went to Disney and to visit his parents we were there for 10 days total, we did laundry before we left there house to head to WDW so that does help alot...how is laundry on the ship? anyone know the cost? I've never done it, so I don't know.

The laundry was $3 to wash & $3 to dry. There is a laundry on most cabin decks. (or at least every other deck)

Was still way cheaper than paying fees to bring extra suitcase/s. With Spirit even the carry on fee was $27 I think. You are only allowed 1 personal item, which in our case was the STUFFED backpacks!:p

I know this was not on a cruise...but a 10-day 98 mile backpacking trip in the mountains of NM. I had a total loadout of 37 pounds!!! :eek:

And my packing skills are due to motorcycle trips. 10 days, 2 people, 1 motorcycle, no trailer. I get one sidebag (smaller than my cruise tote bag!) for all clothes and toiletries. Hubby gets the other. Our extra riding gear and electronics go in the trunk and in a bag that goes on top of the trunk.

roll dresses/shirts. Its amazing what you can get into those corners of a suitcase. Bring a tote bag along with your carryon (as your personal item).. Throw your purse in the tote bag, and other necessities (makeup bag, curling iron, shoes). I have tied a pair of tennies one time to the outside of my carry on luggage, lol... noone said a thing, and it saved some space.. Got lots of comments on what a great idea that was.

I like the hanging sneaker idea! I'm actually looking for a pair of those 'teva' looking things. I don't exactly know the name of them, but they are grippy on the bottom so I can wear them hiking, but also a sandal so I can wear them in the water...I want a cheap pair so I can just chuck em when I'm done.

That included my food, tent, sleeping bag, a couple changes of clothes and my raingear (and campsuds to clean clothes, dishes, myself, etc.)

Wear one set of clothes one day, while having the otherset dry while hanging off your backpack!

Wonder how well I can do on cruise!!! (not really going to try, would be bored of the same two sets of clothes REAL fast)

Now my DW on the other hand...

One extra outfit?? I would die. Literally.

Funny i am just reading this thread now. I just sat on my wifes bag to zip it up and had to get another down for her. Funny, and fortunate that they are driving and not flying.

I had to sit on my bag last year. Then I couldn't lift it.

I have found that if I put underwear in a ziploc bag and press the air out, it doesn't take up much space. You can do the same with shorts, tank tops, etc. I pack items that need hanging in laundry bags and roll or fold which help the wrinkling issue. Travel size bottles of toiletries take up less space than full size bottles.

I have just finished packing today for our cruise next week. Taking 2 medium suitcases (24") for 4 people, which includes a 2 year old that still uses diapers (and the diapers are IN the suitcases!). Clothes are all rolled. The kids clothes I have separated into ziplock baggies to compress space. That really works!

There's enough clothes for each of us to wear for 4 days without repeating anything, with a few extra shirts thrown in. I plan to do laundry (either in the sink or machine, I have soap for either) midway through.

Funnily enough, my husband has more clothes in the suitcases than I do. He has 8 shirts, 4 pairs of pants! I have 6 shirts, 1 pair of pants (4 dresses though!).

Really, roll everything. That's the best for space saving without using compression bags. If you don't care about repeating clothes, pack for 1/2 the trip, wash clothes. It can definitely be done if you don't care about having tons of choices!

I have just finished packing today for our cruise next week. Taking 2 medium suitcases (24") for 4 people, which includes a 2 year old that still uses diapers (and the diapers are IN the suitcases!). Clothes are all rolled. The kids clothes I have separated into ziplock baggies to compress space. That really works!

There's enough clothes for each of us to wear for 4 days without repeating anything, with a few extra shirts thrown in. I plan to do laundry (either in the sink or machine, I have soap for either) midway through.

Funnily enough, my husband has more clothes in the suitcases than I do. He has 8 shirts, 4 pairs of pants! I have 6 shirts, 1 pair of pants (4 dresses though!).

Really, roll everything. That's the best for space saving without using compression bags. If you don't care about repeating clothes, pack for 1/2 the trip, wash clothes. It can definitely be done if you don't care about having tons of choices!

I'm going to have to try the zip-lock baggie thing and the rolling...I am a folder, maybe that's where I go wrong. Well, that and the 30 tank tops

They often do a laundry special, $20 for a bag, halfway through the cruise on the 7-days. Don't send anything you'd actually miss if they mess it up.

There are hair dryers on the ship, but I've been told they're not that great.

I'm going to have to try the zip-lock baggie thing and the rolling...I am a folder, maybe that's where I go wrong. Well, that and the 30 tank tops

Take 15 tank tops. Really, if you roll them, they'll take about the same amount of space as 2 pairs of folded jeans. And since the clothes aren't stacked on top of each other and buried under layers, it's really easy to see what you already have packed, easy to move things around without worrying about unfolding, etc. Rolling is the way to go!

Usually we pack a 22" carryon per person and a tote no matter how long the trip is. Last 9 day cruise DH & I packed into a 25" for the both of us (we drove to port).

The key to packing light, IMHO, is the ability to wear clothes mutliple times. Washing if necessary. Limit the amount of shoes, at the most I bring 5 pair- walking, sandals, water, pool and 'dress'. Many times I bring only 2 pair - sandals and ballet flats.

3 bottoms and 7 tops is 21 different outfits. Febreez is your friend.

Archived