It has to be said. formal wear/informal

Me neither? its just a rant!

Den

I've seen posts similar to this, within a post.

Our first cruise was a 3 day. Don't like to be put in a category by people who money comes easy to them. (Usually inherited by parents who worked their butts off.) Anyway, we work hard for our money and our first cruise we didn't know if we would like it our not and didn't want to waste our money if we didn't like it. We also didn't know much about cruises. (this was before we found CC) So didn't know there was a formal night. But we did bring nice clothes to wear in the eve. When you don't know exactly what the other persons situation is don't criticize. We go on cruises to relax and enjoy each other! We do like to people watch! :D

Im on these boards OFTEN and I have never heard this. Hmmm

You have cut to the heart of threads like this.

A few folks ranting over and over about a "problem" that does not really exist.

I am happy that this sort of talk does not carry over onboard. Most people are too busy having fun to worry about what everyone else is wearing.

But to the few "It's all about me" people this will always be a big deal.

Hrre is the deal for us: we are on vacation in the Caribbean. It's HOT. It's JUNE. We aren't dressing up.

In our normal life, I own plenty of formals and beautiful shoes and jewelry. My DH owns his tux. In Louisiana, there is a formal ball for every occasion. We go to those.

I don't give a rat's bottom what people wear on elegant night. You want to dress up, be my guest.

There is NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH that I am bringing anything more than a casual dress on my cruise. Heck, I don't even bring good jewelry-- I bring fakes when on vacation.

If I wanted to dress up, I'd cruise Crystal, which we could afford. We don't cruise Crystal because 1) they don't cruise out of new Orleans and 2) I'm not dressing up.

For elegant night, we will wear the minimum to get in the door: chinos and polos for the boys and casual summer dresses for the girls.

I never understood why people concern themselves AT ALL what

others wear. You're on 'your' vacation, not theirs.

However I do understand what you are trying to say.

I ALWAYS & ONLY dress accordingly to MOOD & or OCCASION.

That being said, when my wife & I are on holiday we treat main

dining room meals on cruise ships as if we are going out to a nice restaurant.

We treat formal nights as if we are going to a wedding..

Hrre is the deal for us: we are on vacation in the Caribbean. It's HOT. It's JUNE. We aren't dressing up.

In our normal life, I own plenty of formals and beautiful shoes and jewelry. My DH owns his tux. In Louisiana, there is a formal ball for every occasion. We go to those.

I don't give a rat's bottom what people wear on elegant night. You want to dress up, be my guest.

There is NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH that I am bringing anything more than a casual dress on my cruise. Heck, I don't even bring good jewelry-- I bring fakes when on vacation.

If I wanted to dress up, I'd cruise Crystal, which we could afford. We don't cruise Crystal because 1) they don't cruise out of new Orleans and 2) I'm not dressing up.

For elegant night, we will wear the minimum to get in the door: chinos and polos for the boys and casual summer dresses for the girls.

Amen. Not to mention the fact that checked bag fees make bringing formal clothing very impractical as well. They should just eliminate the "elegant" nights altogether.

Why are people making comments like 'oh.. those people on the budget 5 day cruises THOSE PEOPLE are not expected to dress formal in the MDR, it is a BUDGET cruise?' OKAY? First.. I don’t care what anyone wears as long as carnival doesn’t. BUT, we can not assume that people with less money don’t understand what formal wear looks like. I have been in different social classes throughout my life. When I was very young, I was very poor. But my mother dressed us appropriately. When we went to church, we looked like we were going to church. When we went to the state fair, we looked like we went to the state fair. I’m pretty sure if you can afford a cruise, you can afford to go to a consignment shop and buy some clothes that are fitting into the mdr attire requirements.Now that i do have a little bit of money, its still the same thing.

Bottom line: it’s not the class of people, its what they feel comfortable wearing, and how willing they are to put forth the effort it takes to dress formal.

I don’t care either way, (as long as it’s not a bath robe, lol) but I don’t think it has to do with the money they have or don’t have. or how smart they are.

Class doesn't have anything to do with how much money you have.:)

I'm all for letting people decide what they want to wear, but there is something to be said about the ambiance of the dining room suffering when people do not dress at least semi-formally for a sit-down dinner.

You can say it shouldn't affect me, but it does.

I don't give a flying hoot what other people wear.

That being said...someone said formal is not required?? Are they speaking of regular nights? I hope formal wear is required for formal nights! I'm preparing accordingly

Carnival no longer has "formal" nights. They are now called "elegant" night and the dress code is more relaxed. See the Carnival site for the exact wording. Some people dress to the nines in formal gowns and tuxes. Some people dress at the minimum allowed in the dress code in sundresses and collared shirts/dress pants (no tie/jacket). The majority of people dress somewhere in-between.

Joining in to say I really don't care how others dress for dinner..As for me...It depends on my mood...I bring formal attire but may or may not wear it...

That being said..I would not wear shorts or dress too casually for dinner in the MDR on any night..that's just what is comfortable for me..don't care if others do.

The only thing that bothers me is when others come into to MDR in tank tops..with hairy parts or too much skin showing...kind of ruins my appetite..but I just try not to look...

I enjoy dressing up so I do that on elegant night. I have what some might consider the best job for dressing--I wear sweats year round with no shoes--I own a cheer and gymnastic gym--so I like to dress up occasionally in dressy clothes. I however do not care what others wear with the exception of ball caps in the dining room. Just a pet peeve of mine. A respect issue. Last cruise we went to Alaska and my daughter-in-law's Father wore dirty athletic shorts and a dirty (he had worn it for several days) t-shirt to dine. I was embarassed for him, but honestly he had embarassed himself the entire cruise so guess others had probably encountered him. It did not hamper my dining experience so I say wear what you want within the confines of the MDR rules at the time.

I also had not heard the 5 day cheap cruise. as you can see by my message at the bottom we are taking a 5 day cruisex2. We normally take 7 or 8 day cruises but my husband wanted to drive to port and go to HMC so it had to be a 5 day for us. Nothing to do with budget just driving restrictions! Honestly some of the longer cruises are about as inexpensive as the 5 day when they are having a true sale. Each to their own I htink!

Archived