ES fare approved, but taxes went up

Bibble

So I was very excited for my $40 ES fare adjustment, as I owe $539 on it, and thought how great it would be to drop below $500.

I was approved for the $40 adjustment, yet the taxes & fees went up $32.

I called, and was told that the fare is protected, but not the taxes.

Total bummer!!

But I suppose $8 is $8. That's a DOD! (trying to look at the bright side).

in the end, someway somehow you are still paying the higher tax. During the booking process, carnival estimates these taxes and fees. As the cruise gets closer, carnival sometimes refunds you the extra money or they can charge you the higher rate (think its mention in the ticket contract)

I don't understand how the taxes could have increased when the fare decreased. Unless I just don't get it, aren't taxes based on the sale price (i.e. sales tax?). I would question this further if I were you.

They aren't based on the price, it isn't a sales tax.

My cruise last October and my cruise last month both included a deduction from my Sign and Sail account at the end due to a decrease in taxes. It makes sense that if they credit you for a decrease, they'll also charge you for an increase. But you never know...the taxes might go down again before you cruise and you'll get it back. I don't understand why they fluctuate so frequently, but they seem to change all the time.

I would question this.... Our cruise taxes are now more but we haven't been charged more. We upgraded last week due to a promotion and all we paid was the change in pp fare - no change in sales tax.

If they are going to have the Fare viewer be without tax, I don't think they should be able to go back and increase.

I can see both sides but it doesn't quite make sense.

If you booked ES before the tax went up to the new higher rate you will get charged the higher tax rate when you put in a price drop claim.the same applies if you also pre paid your gratuities at the lower rate.

For small price drops it may not be worth the trouble.

I just paid over $400 for a cabin upgrade and was charged higher taxes and gratuities as well,this was because the upgrade was done using the Summer sale price against my old ES price, but did give me $200 OBC.

An ES price match is to the total price of the match fare including fees and taxes,some have got lucky and had them "Grandfathered" but most wont.

I asked the CCL rep to keep my fees at the lower rate during the upgrade phone call but he said it is not possible because a price drop claim is classed as a new booking and so must be charged the same anyone booking at the lower price would be charged.

The summer sale gives OBC so a lower fare than Fun Select even though I paid out.

If I upgraded the cabin at the Fun Select rate with no OBC included I would not have paid the tax increase.

Den

I would question this.... Our cruise taxes are now more but we haven't been charged more. We upgraded last week due to a promotion and all we paid was the change in pp fare - no change in sales tax.

If they are going to have the Fare viewer be without tax, I don't think they should be able to go back and increase.

I can see both sides but it doesn't quite make sense.

Because people choose to use the Fare Viewer as a guide doesnt mean that is what carnival uses to base the fare drop on during a claim.

The booking engine shows the total to pay including taxes and fees,my paid upgrade gave me OBC so I had to pay the increase as well.

If people do make a very small claim on a 7 night cruise they could in actual fact end up owing Carnival money!

Den

I don't understand how the taxes could have increased when the fare decreased. Unless I just don't get it, aren't taxes based on the sale price (i.e. sales tax?). I would question this further if I were you.

The "Govt Fees & Taxes" are a pass-along of fees that Carnival pays, that aren't finalized until sailaway - they are not a percentage of the Cruisefare. The Carnival Policy is that you won't be charged for "Govt Fees & Taxes" increases unless you "change" your booking, to include a fare reduction. If you don't change your booking up to sailaway you won't be charged any increases. At sailaway if there's been a decrease, your S&S account will be credited. ken

I had 4 price reductions and only once the taxes went up $14.12 pp. I still saved $427.64 instead of $470. The other day I got another reduction for $80 which was applied as an OBC since my final payment was made. So just because your taxes went up this time, it doesn't mean that it will go up in the future. I know it is a bummer.

I had 4 price reductions and only once the taxes went up $14.12 pp. I still saved $427.64 instead of $470. The other day I got another reduction for $80 which was applied as an OBC since my final payment was made. So just because your taxes went up this time, it doesn't mean that it will go up in the future. I know it is a bummer.

Yes you are correct, but for some who paid the lower taxes and gratuities when they booked ES and before they went up to the current rate may not realise when going for a "very small claim" that the taxes/fees may also increase.

I could never see carnival charging more but it could cause a denial of claim as mentioned in another post?

From what I understood via the call to Carnival was that if I price matched my ES price to a "now" lower fare that was available at a higher price when I booked my ES (Past Guest/Military/over 55 Fun Select) then the taxes and charges would have stayed the same as I paid for my ES."Grandfathered"

If I claim against a newer promo fare that was not available when I booked my ES

it becomes a new booking thus the increase of taxes and fees have to be included.

Additional price drop claims will not cause another increase in taxes/fees because they have already been adjusted to the new higher rate.

What I really dont understand is although my taxes/fees went up because its classed as a new booking why I remain ES???

Den

Archived